World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a view of someone one another site, what do you think.
Guys, i feel the need to protest about this practice again. While i know you are all enjoying the tagging progam and feel you are doing your bit for conservation. I personally believe you are doing more harm than good. This information is gathered and formulated into charts and maps etc. and once secret information, (on the Topes part) now simply becomes public domain... Anyone who thinks this information is kept secret by conservationists is a fool. This info gets published just like the last surveys reults were

This then allows those who would be the enemy of the tope (or any other species for that matter) to predict their movements. In a nutshell i believe tagging does more harm than good and should be left well enough alone. These fish have been on the planet for 250 million years. They do not need our help to survive. What they need is to be left alone. Uncovering their comings and goings does not protect them. Even if it did those doing the research do not have it in their power to protect them. The best defence these species have is secrecy. That is what has worked for them so far... As far as i am aware there has been no tagging over the last 250 millinon years... Give that some though before you start going 'gung ho' with your tagging in the name of conservation... Some bunch of curious scientists sitting in a room who wish to plot the habits of the worlds creatures does not necessarily translate into what is best for the species. They satisfy their curiosity while their actions create irreversible repercussions in their wake.... Tagging Tigers and polar bears in the name of conservation is one thing. Tagging species that are exploited for food on a global scale is a far more sinister subject. I will have no part in it.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

good post even though it is flawed, any species that is targeted commercially needs to be assessed as much as possible to be able to maintain stock levels. The only way you can get information on habits population movements etc is by tagging, that way you have hard proof to back up any claims you make rather than just theories.

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't no this is off a Irish site and the post was by an Irish boy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
When Defra recently had the tope consultation, they were surprised that the tope are in UK waters for 8 months of the year. The tagging dates from the UK shark tagging programme provided the evidence for this and i believe helped in their final conclusion.

Hopefully the CPOA (community plan of action) due later this year will put some sensible shark management in place.

Johnathon Shaw the English fisheries minister has committed himself to taking the protection of the tope to Europe.

See the SOS response to the CPOA at http://www.save-our-sharks.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4412

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya,

good post even though it is flawed, any species that is targeted commercially needs to be assessed as much as possible to be able to maintain stock levels. The only way you can get information on habits population movements etc is by tagging, that way you have hard proof to back up any claims you make rather than just theories.
But it lets everyone no where they go, and by what route.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
But it lets everyone no where they go, and by what route.
I think youll find theyve known for years,the comercials form all countrys will and those with access to boats i.e anglers will have had this info passed down to them by generations of anglers.

The best defence these species have is secrecy
never happen as to mutch of the info is in books and online,from fishing to nature books and programs.

also on here

http://www.worldseafishing.com/fishspecies/tope.html

maybe the way to go is to inforce a ban on catching them for 20 odd years or more for rsa's and comercials.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
yes but this also has up side to it as it can allow for the bodies concerned to go infront of the commitees of these targeted waters after facts are proven the fish are being hit here and stoks being damaged and therfore try enforce a ban on this or maybe a bye catch wich can only be of big help to the future stocks.

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think youll find theyve known for years,the comercials form all countrys will and those with access to boats i.e anglers will have had this info passed down to them by generations of anglers.

never happen as to mutch of the info is in books and online,from fishing to nature books and programs.

also on here

http://www.worldseafishing.com/fishspecies/tope.html

Al tho true this is a passage from the above link which only makes some people try them there selfs.

FACTS AND FOLKLORE
Small tope apparently make reasonable eating, hence a growing market for pack tope flesh in France and Belgium. Larger tope taste acidic and are too tough for the general kitchen table.

maybe the way to go is to inforce a ban on catching them for 20 odd years or more for rsa's and comercials.
A total ban would help but only if all countries join in.
but as most species are under some sort of presser where do you stop. we could all join Greenpeace and save the planet, but that wont happed either.
I go fishing to catch fish some I keep most are returned, when theres none left ill go golfing,

I read on another site that the us fleet takes the most off the dogfish/shark catches from the atlantic and sells them on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts