World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody,

just bought an abu 10'000 big game reel.look's alright but it's been made in taiwan.will the reel be any good or have i bought a load of rubbish.got it mail order for 59.99.cheer's....dave.:unsure:

15,082 Posts
hi everybody,

just bought an abu 10'000 big game reel.look's alright but it's been made in taiwan.will the reel be any good or have i bought a load of rubbish.got it mail order for 59.99.cheer's....dave.:unsure:
Dave look at this way.......They an ok reel for the money.If it lasts a year and runs out of steam it's cost you a £1 a week,less than I expect you spend on hooks!..All the 7000 and 10000 series are made in Taiwan now.I use ABU all the time,I just like them but dont expect it to be too healthy in 2 or 3 years time.Oh,check all the fittings are tight before you use it,they seem to have a ''Screwdriver & Spanner'' phoebia in Taiwan! :)

Ron

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Last year i got a 7500C3 for £59.99, and recently i got a 7000 C3 for £44.05 both are Taiwanese reels. Although i personally thought the materials did not feel as good for the money i have no complaints. The older Abu 7500C3 chrome i have which was made in Sweden and the blue 7500C3CT i have also made in Sweden do feel as though they are better produced, although at the time new they both cost over £100. It has not put me off Abu reels and i am sure it will last well if you clean it and maintain it properly.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Dave look at this way.......They an ok reel for the money.If it lasts a year and runs out of steam it's cost you a £1 a week,less than I expect you spend on hooks!..All the 7000 and 10000 series are made in Taiwan now.I use ABU all the time,I just like them but dont expect it to be too healthy in 2 or 3 years time.Oh,check all the fittings are tight before you use it,they seem to have a ''Screwdriver & Spanner'' phoebia in Taiwan! :)

Ron
:lmao: Like ron said they are ok for the money and I never thought of it that way when he says £1 a week it don't seem a lot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks lads,

i have some older abu's that are swedish and they are still great.i'll look after this one like i do the others so i'm sure it'll last.it wont get as much use as my other reels anyway,cheer's.....dave.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever you do, don't drop it, I knocked mine off my desk, resulting in a twisted cage and bent shaft, I don't think they're as tough as the "Swedish" made reels from time gone by!

hth

Ubd

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Last year i got a 7500C3 for £59.99, and recently i got a 7000 C3 for £44.05 both are Taiwanese reels. Although i personally thought the materials did not feel as good for the money i have no complaints. The older Abu 7500C3 chrome i have which was made in Sweden and the blue 7500C3CT i have also made in Sweden do feel as though they are better produced, although at the time new they both cost over £100. It has not put me off Abu reels and i am sure it will last well if you clean it and maintain it properly.
Some of the original Swedish ABUs like your chrome model had brass endplates. These models obviously have better ding and corrosian restance than the alluminium endplate models.:)
Couple an alluminium endplate, saltwater and a chrome frame and you have galvanic corrosian and instant degarading of the alluminium part setting in unless you are very scrupulous in maintaining them.
Can't understand why ABU still persist in using alluminium for sea reel endplates other than cost.:g:

15,082 Posts
Some of the original Swedish ABUs like your chrome model had brass endplates. These models obviously have better ding and corrosian restance than the alluminium endplate models.:)
Couple an alluminium endplate, saltwater and a chrome frame and you have galvanic corrosian and instant degarading of the alluminium part setting in unless you are very scrupulous in maintaing them.
Can't understand why ABU still persist in using alluminium for sea reel endplates other than cost.:g:
Maybe I'll fit an anode.

Ron

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Just a thought but old Abu 7000 reels come through eBay now and then for spares or repair and go very cheaply. As all the parts are interchangable surely the newer models could have the endplates and maybe even the frame replaced. My only one gripe is that on a few occasions i have had 30lb berkley Whiplash braid get caught down the side of the spool on retrieve. Only happened a few times, but perhaps this is due to less finer tolerances being used in production?

·
Registered
983 Posts
hi everybody,

Should worry about. Found out the other day that Okuma make a fair number of the reels for all top manufacturers except ABu.

G

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
It would help. Just as with an outboard.
A small block of sacrificial Zinc bolted into each endplate would do the job.
The designers thought of that - and came up with 'sacrificial end plates':unsure:

Some of the recent models have aluminium (I think) sides to the frames - wonder if that is better? Time will tell.

I have one of the gold BG ABU,s which does look cheap but works OK.
Recently I bought two 6500C Power Handle reels. £45 each and will do for pike and light boat work. Look as well made as any - Stamped 'Made in Sweden'. Only cost cutter I found in it is one ballbearing and one bush for the spool to run on.

I have no problem with bushes (my old 7000 had them, lovely reel) but cannot understand why ABU would go this way. Surely the saving in one ballbearing is minute?

They will do the job, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The designers thought of that - and came up with 'sacrificial end plates':unsure:

Some of the recent models have aluminium (I think) sides to the frames - wonder if that is better? Time will tell.

I have one of the gold BG ABU,s which does look cheap but works OK.
Recently I bought two 6500C Power Handle reels. £45 each and will do for pike and light boat work. Look as well made as any - Stamped 'Made in Sweden'. Only cost cutter I found in it is one ballbearing and one bush for the spool to run on.

I have no problem with bushes (my old 7000 had them, lovely reel) but cannot understand why ABU would go this way. Surely the saving in one ballbearing is minute?

They will do the job, I'm sure.
Hi Pel Problem is on the alluminium frame jobs is the bars are chrome. So now the endplates and the frame plates are sacrificial.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts