World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm taking my boat out on the Forth tomorrow for the 1st time this year. Both me and my 2 crew have very little experience of the Forth and don't know any decent spots to fish. I've got all the safety gear and tackle but don't have a gps. Can anyone advise me where to go to put us onto some fish? We'll probably launch at Burntisland because it's close to home and the ramp is very easy to negotiate but i've a 60hp outboard and Shetland 460 so should be able to cover distance pretty quickly if needs be. I know launching at Dunbar would be a better idea to put us over fish but i'm recovering from a back operation and don't fancy dealing with a tricky ramp.
Any advice is welcome and if anyone would like to join me one day next week then give me a shout.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
dunbars the place slips a bit tricky at low water but no probs at high then you dont have to worry about the narrow bend in the slip some good spots over the othe side of the forth to but havent been over with the boat so cant comment look for threads by silverking,erichalfhalfbee and you wont go wrong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read most of Eric and Silverking's threads. They make interesting reading but are not specific about location. The last 3 trips last year have thrown up blanks for me so i'm hoping tomorrow will be different.
It'd be good to get on the water with someone with a bit of local knowledge to get me started.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
hi mate,i'm going out with gooseman tomorrow from st andrews around noon back in around 5.30pm.fishing up to 6mls south of harbour but only 3/4ml off max.what motor do you have? a 4x4 would be best for the muddy slip and if harbour master is around may cost £10 to launch.pm me if interested or we can arrange another day when we can get an early launch and fish for longer and can assist with goose's 4x4 if required(taking my van tomorrow) cheers,bill

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm no good at reversing on a difficult slip either...

But I'll be at Dunbar with Legacy at 12.00 tomorrow, and coming back in around 5-5.30pm. As long as Easytide shows 3m depth, you don't need to worry about the dogleg in the slip. (Don't forget to allow 1hr for BST when using Easytide). My fabia generally manages my Elite with no problems at all - although I often use the 4x4 just 'cos it's handier at home.

Dunbar has fished incredibly well so far this year (long may it continue). Not sure if the guys on the North side have yet had the same kind of results? Session reports have been a bit thin on the ground....

If you get to Dunbar - may see you there - or try and get me on Ch 16.

Steve

·
Registered
537 Posts
Speybay for at least 3 hours either side of high you won't come near having to negotiate the dogleg on Dunbar's slip, there'll be plenty of water on the the first, straight, section. I'll be going out from Dunbar about 12 tomorrow too. Might see you there Stevie.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did you get out today Dave? North or South of the Firth? The weathermen got that one wrong. It was supposed to be flat calm???? The wind made things very uncomfortable off Dunbar - at one point my GPS was showing a drift speed of 2.6knots!!! I'm guessing that anyone fishing the North side would have been more sheltered? The wind seemed to be coming form that direction, so the chop would have been less?

Still a few codlies about - John caught his pb at 7lb - that's the biggest cod I've seen on Legacy so far - and we brought a half dozen table sized fish back with us. Put maybe twice that back.

But the pollack wouldn't play today, and we never tried for the macky.

Hopeful: was that you heading North about two thirty this afternoon, quite close in to the cement works? Looked a nice boat, and moving very smoothly given the conditions.

Cheers lads - nice to chat about fishing I can relate to rather than reading about Etive and Luce Bay all the time!!!

Stevie

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Did you get out today Dave? North or South of the Firth? The weathermen got that one wrong. It was supposed to be flat calm???? The wind made things very uncomfortable off Dunbar - at one point my GPS was showing a drift speed of 2.6knots!!! I'm guessing that anyone fishing the North side would have been more sheltered? The wind seemed to be coming form that direction, so the chop would have been less?

Still a few codlies about - John caught his pb at 7lb - that's the biggest cod I've seen on Legacy so far - and we brought a half dozen table sized fish back with us. Put maybe twice that back.

But the pollack wouldn't play today, and we never tried for the macky.

Hopeful: was that you heading North about two thirty this afternoon, quite close in to the cement works? Looked a nice boat, and moving very smoothly given the conditions.

Cheers lads - nice to chat about fishing I can relate to rather than reading about Etive and Luce Bay all the time!!!

Stevie
hi stevie,it was ok in st andrews bay today,i fished 6mls down 3/4ml out and drift was 1-1.5knts wind swung wnw and put a chop on but 1 cruised back into it at 15knts on way in ok nice sesh you had there tho,pollack in beery batter for my dinner on tuesday night. cheers,bill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.