World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Reading this month's Sea Angler there was an article on fishing for pollack, using bait and artificials, and specifically targeting big ones.

A line caught my attention - when spinning for pollack with either natural sandeels or plastics, the author said it was important to keep the retrieves steady "as sandeel swim in straight line" and any erratic/jerky retrieve, especially with the lure rising from the seabed, would put them off.

Also said braid was not conducive to this and mono was better.

What do you think of this? Is there some truth in it, in your experience, or would you consider it better to try to impart some erratic 'action' into a spun lure i.e. sink and draw, bouncing off the rocks, leaving it drop/flutter, leaving it static, diving up and down etc? Do you think this puts off pollack?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well ALOT of pollock caught jigging rubber worms, not just from the shore but boat as well, so I think the theory of straight actionless retrieve can be safely junked.
As to the comments about braid-ignorance is all say. You can fish tighter to the kelp/bottom with braid due to the better feedback.

Sounds like another recycled article to me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not sure I agree about the braid/mono comment, but I do know that when fishing for pollack on a boat over wrecks or reefs, a steady retrieve is essential even when getting plucks on the lure. You just keep winding at a "steady" pace until you feel the weight of the fish. The actual rate to retrieve will vary but you just experiment until you find what the fish respond to. Jelly worms etc are lethal. You can also catch pollack on lightly weighted soft lures very effectively. Slugos and lures like the Xorus Rolling Stik are pretty handy. Can be fished "on the drop" or drifted in the current. My lad had one on a Gary Yamamoto Swim Senko this weekend. Steady retrieve was pulling the fish up out of a gully on a rock mark we fished.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I bought SA this month for the first time in a long time and it was in the bin the same day. What a lot of tosh. Poor articles, lots of adverts disguised as articles and the ridiculous trash journalism calling for a cull of seals as they are in competition with anglers was it for me. Treat advice contained therein with caution.......most of their guides involve you buying yet more gear from someone.........:dry:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I haven't seen Sea Angler for a while. I have noticed though, that during the last 2 years I've been drifting wrecks and using braid my hookup ratio to plucks seems to have got worse. I'm all for the steady retrieve as I think it works well for fish following up from a wreck.
Next time out I'm going to have a rod set up with mono and another with braid just to experiment a little. It could of course be weather/lack of fish/smaller fish or whatever but I'm worried I'm missing the takes. Max

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting replies. I would have thought that a jerky/erratic retrieve with the aim of "imparting life" to the eel was the way to go, also with the advantage of fishing different heights of the water column on each cast and narrowing down where the fish were feeding.

Caught a couple during the week on a hart absolut worm on an 18g jighead but no idea what I was doing prior to hooking up, the surprise/excitement/novelty of having a fish on the line serves to delete all other thoughts.

Have had them a lot on steady-retrieved shallow-diving plugs as well though so maybe there is something in it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I watched shoals of sandeels swimming around the rock marks on The Mull of Galloway earlier this year and have to admit they did follow a pretty set trajectory so the theory may hold something.......

However......if I was a sandeel with a pollack in tow I'd go a bit mental so maybe it was a load of tosh. Who knows but the fishes !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I remember, the disadvantage with braid, according to the article, was that the lack of stretch/direct contact meant it was hard not to impart jerky movements, even if you were not meaning to, and that mono was therefore better for keeping a steady retrieve.

Might be a thought to have two rods set up and see is there any difference in hookups...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have tried experimenting with catching pollock this year and have been very succesfull with stopping and waiting 5 secs retrieves on a copper coloured 22g toby. it finding the fish at the right water depth and pulling then up to surface. Had loads jumping out of water to hit the lure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Southern Dave "Slightly off topic, but I bought SA this month for the first time in a long time and it was in the bin the same day. What a lot of tosh. Poor articles, lots of adverts disguised as articles and the ridiculous trash journalism calling for a cull of seals as they are in competition with anglers was it for me. Treat advice contained therein with caution.......most of their guides involve you buying yet more gear from someone........."

Yes Southern Dave probably deserves another thread so I shall start one! Shall leave you out of it, but feel free to respond if you wish...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I find that slow and steady retrive at different depths until you find the fish is the best method for pollock. When float fishing or spinning lifting the eel / dexter wedge and letting it flutter back down in one of the best times for a hit. When retriving slow and steady always for me, don't know why but when trying to impart movement into a lure i find lots of fish miss the lure for some reason. Got to love those Pollock dives for the sea bed, my favourite fish to catch in our waters on light gear.

Tight lines.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
yep slow and steady is the way to go, even with feathers like hokais, they work better than sink and draw this way for pollack, as for the braid thing, rubbish braid makes fishing deep so much easier u know when u start bumping straight away.
and as for the 2lb plus fish a rarity thats rubbish too, had maybe 30 upto about 4lb earlier this year spinning before work in a week, also head or tail first doesnt matter, well maybe not but who would not rig a sandeel head first dont see the point of it being the wrong way round.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
IMHO when pollack are in numbers and in a feeding mood they seem to take lures willingly regardless of retrieve technique , line type etc.
It's when you're not winching them out every cast/drop you then have to stop , think and experiement...........i.e. vary the retrieve speed, , try 'sink and draw', 'stop, suspend and twitch', or cast out and let it lie and then bounce the bottom back......they all work at different times , often during the same session, as sea conditions, the tide state, or baitfish numbers in proximity alter.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pretty much all the advice I've been given or read said a slow and steady retrieve for pollack.

However a friend who just got into fishing this year has outfished us all for pollack. Using stinger type metal lures he gives the rod a tug every so often while retrieving.

I can see why a steady retrieve works with jelly worms as the initial take may only be on the tail of the lure but for spinners etc adding a bit of movement seems to work fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.