World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

As a course fisherman I love float fishing more than any other types of fishing, but i never really thought of float fishing as a method of sea fishing until a friend of mine suggested it last night, but neither of us have a clue, thats why i come to you fine bunch.
As me and my friend don't know any anglers (hard to believe considering how many people fish now ha ha ) we've had to learn ourselves through trail and error, so i was hoping that the people on this site could give us some answers on float fishing.

We need to know -

what fish are we likey to catch?
What bait should we use?
How deep should we set the float?
Whens the best time to fish?

Regards
Lee :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi Bud,
what fish are we likey to catch? Mackerel,Bass, Wrass, pollock. ect ect.

What bait should we use? Mackerel strips, ragworm, peller crab. anything you like.

How deep should we set the float? that depands on where the fish are, start about 6ft then keep going deeper till you get them.

Whens the best time to fish? depends on where you are !.

I hope this info is useful to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya Mike

Thanks for the reply, I am going to be fishing the estury and the habour in rhyl and when i said the best time to fish i meant at which point of the tide is best? Sorry i didn't make that very clear lol

If i set the float at 6ft won't that make casting difficult?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi Lee, to set the float to 6ft or more you need a slip knot "I use a Laggy Band" then a small bead, that will stop your float at the right depth.
I'll have a look round for a pic so you can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers mate

When i'm casting, do i cast it in to the tide and let it drift down or cast it in and leave it ?

Cheers Lee :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Just let it drift,but try to keep the line tight'ish,

To give you a idea i have made a drawing !

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm i right in thinking that a pike float will do it, and the bullet weight will be just enough the **** the float.

cheers lee

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I fish a sliding float rig with small size 6 carp hooks off the boat over a reef in Caernarfon bay. With the float set at 3 feet I get garfish, 6 feet triggerfish and 12 feet black bream and pollack. The bottom is 18 foot down. Great method of fishing on a calm day.

I use a big float to drift a live mackerel back down tide for tope.

Also use a bubble float with a drop of water in it to add weight to a live eel when I fish off a headland here and am casting in amongst the rocks and gullies for bass and pollack.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
"I'm i right in thinking that a pike float will do it, and the bullet weight will be just enough the **** the float." yes thats right & any float will do as long as you can see it.

Lee, I forgot to say "Make sure the slip knot goes through the rod tip ring" !!!
I sometimes have over 20ft depth ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks for your comments mike you've really helpfull, i'll let you know how i get on

Cheers lee :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Woolylee, if you can get hold of them, live prawns are a killer bait for most species, hook them through the last section before the tail, they will take just about anything that swims. Get yourself (or make) a prawn pot stick a mackerel head or a pouting in it, & stick it in shallow water overnight, you will have prawns, & crabs (for wrasse) next morning, fished over a rocky bottom its great fun.
blueskip

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're a coarse fisherman, you might have some powergum, use this for the stop knot.

The advantages are that is grips the line better than an elastic band, it is a small knot and you can trim the ends very close so it doesn't get stuck in the rod rings or reel and finally it doesn't damage or weaken the line.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Simundo said:
If you're a coarse fisherman, you might have some powergum, use this for the stop knot.

The advantages are that is grips the line better than an elastic band, it is a small knot and you can trim the ends very close so it doesn't get stuck in the rod rings or reel and finally it doesn't damage or weaken the line.
Prehaps powergum has taken over from the bait stops I used to you use (little green things if i remember correctly?) my late father hated them

Woodster

·
Registered
16 Posts
no I still use ledger stops for my coarse angling, powergum is used in freshwater for allsorts, expect to pay about 3-4 quid for 15 metres and imho nothing beats it for stopknots

1 - 15 of 15 Posts