World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought some Varivas clear tapered leaders and they come in spools of 5 and are approx 30ft each in length--my rod is 14ft long.How many turns around the spool and which leader knot is best to use to main line of 20lb.Do you just wind the whole leader onto the reel or do you reduce the length of it.Thankyou in advance.What are the advantages if any over ordinary leaders.

·
Registered
21,655 Posts
Just bought some Varivas clear tapered leaders and they come in spools of 5 and are approx 30ft each in length--my rod is 14ft long.How many turns around the spool and which leader knot is best to use to main line of 20lb.Do you just wind the whole leader onto the reel or do you reduce the length of it.Thankyou in advance.What are the advantages if any over ordinary leaders.
:clap2: What BS are the leaders? ie;15-60LB, 12-30LB. the advantage is a smaller knot. :clap2:

·
Super Moderator
23,701 Posts
Whack it all on, that's why it's cut too length. The vast majoriy of rods are between 12' and 14' foot, a couple of foot either way aint gonna make any difference. It may be you have quite a number of turns of the spool, many more than the oft given 5 times but remember the first few will be a relatively small breaking strain so is needed. Whack it all on. :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whack it all on, that's why it's cut too length. The vast majoriy of rods are between 12' and 14' foot, a couple of foot either way aint gonna make any difference. It may be you have quite a number of turns of the spool, many more than the oft given 5 times but remember the first few will be a relatively small breaking strain so is needed. Whack it all on. :thumbs:
Thanks for that Bens,any knot suggestion?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
And???lol I would like your advice tho please
they are designed for the full leader to be loaded onto the reel - the concept is very gradual taper and small knot goes thru the rings easier than a standard leader with a bigger knot - plus the smaller knot should be less weedy in weedy conditions

the down side is the cost - especially if you are fishing snaggy or abrasive conditions - you don't need to lose many for it to be an exepnsive trip

for me a standard leader is almost alwlays as good as a tapered one - the ''ease through the ring'' part of the concept is negligible IMHO - and if its weedy you still get weed either way

for the knot - a double 5 twist uni knots is a pretty safe bet and easy to tie in bad conditions

nowt wrong with them - aside from the comparative cost

cheers

alan

·
Registered
620 Posts
hi mate , i use tapered leader 16 to 60 lb. Usually cut a foot or 2 of to match my mainline 18lb.
i use a double uni knot leaves a very small joining knot.

steve

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Use a double blood knot for joining two lines of the same or similar dia. Do not trim length (of leader) and Varivas is very good quality. Used over clean ground, I find tapered leaders are very good value for money.

Uni knot is excellant, but I use this for attaching hooks and swivels - find the double blood better for line joining. Use plenty of spit as lubrication when pulling up either knot - this is essential.

Mart.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The Varivas Leaders are 13m long, thats about 43ft!! I use them occasionally, but tend to cut them down by about 10ft (Off the thick end lol) I use what i think is a Double Blood Knot to join to main line, as they are about the same diameter as my 15lb line. This gives a very neat small knot which dosnt need to be placed at the side of the spool when winding in, as its completely covered when casting & dosnt rip your Thumb off. Great when Weed is a problem too. Bit pricey but good for clean ground.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The Varivas Leaders are 13m long, thats about 43ft!! I use them occasionally, but tend to cut them down by about 10ft (Off the thick end lol) I use what i think is a Double Blood Knot to join to main line, as they are about the same diameter as my 15lb line. This gives a very neat small knot which dosnt need to be placed at the side of the spool when winding in, as its completely covered when casting & dosnt rip your Thumb off. Great when Weed is a problem too. Bit pricey but good for clean ground.
Be careful here...

The Varivas leader is 13m long, but ony 24 ft of heavy 70lb line is stated. So you have, say, a 13ft 6" rod using low reel and a long drop to the top hand - you don't want to be trimming down any of thick end, cos with 12 ft of line from reel to tip ring, and another 10 foot down to the lead, the remainder is the perfect amount to have left on the reel. The varivas tapered leader was developed with help from Neil Mckellow and he knew a little about casting and fishing...

Of course, with a shorter rod and high reel, you could cut them down but why would you want to? Although a small knot does attract less weed, the advantage of a long leader is when the weed on the knot hits the tip ring, any fish is still often out behind the danger zone, giving you a chance to clear it if on your own, or the option of walking back up the beach for a mate to land it.

Mart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.