World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been relying on standard leaders 50/60 etc depending on weight / distance etc - whats all the fuss about tapered leaders - do they make much difference to Joe Average?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Only real advantage I see in a tapered leader is the smaller (and stronger) leader knot.

This can be useful in situations where there is a lot of floating weed that ends up covering the line, ultimately jamming the leader knot in the tip ring on the retrieve. This can lead to losing fish in the surf, so a smaller leader knot in this instance can result in better fishing/more fish.

If floating weed isn't a problem then a tapered leader isn't going to help catch any more fish in my eyes, and so isn't worth the extra expense.

B

·
0 Posts
Tapered leaders are a boon for guys like me who use levelwind reels,but would probably be a bit extravegant for users of CT reels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can't agree more.

Use either Diawa Tornament Plus (0.37mm-0.80mm 16-65lbs) or Sakuma (0.37mm-0.74mm 18-70lb) when using level wind reels.

The weaker end of the taper is quite gradual and whilst not a problem when using 12lb mainline i usually trim of the end until the line diameters match and then tie a bimini twist between the leader and mainline.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just another gimmick to prise money out of your wallet. No advantage at all , and I've fished without one for 50 years. The only worthwile shore fishing is after dark, and fish come in close, so no need for casting silly distances.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are pros and cons to using tapered leaders. The cons are that even when you have the fish in close you can't bully it because you are still fishing with a reduced diameter and a knot and also the price. The pros are that they can make a difference to casting especially if your rod has a 12mm top eye. The sound of a leader knot hitting the rings at high speed makes me cringe. I use the new teklon tapered leaders from grauvall. They are dear but I have never had a problem yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I Have Just Started Using Tapered Leadersover The Past 6 Months And I Have To Be Honest I Like Them. For Me They Make Casting Alot Smoother (abu6500c3ct Elite). The Knot Strength Is Much Higher, Had A Snag And It Was A Sod To Pull For A Break. Another Plus Is The Smaller Knot Does Not Pick Up So Much Weed. Minus Point Is Cost About £5.60 For 5. Down To Personal Choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts