World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to sea fishing, I haven't cast a rod yet :D. I have been trying to get the tackle needed for my first trip and came across an article on tapered shockleaders.

Are they any good? or are they another product put out to catch the angler.

I can see the logic having a smaller knot at the mainline to shockleader connection but is it needed when a 5oz lead is whizzing through the rings. I use them in flyfishing because of the delicate nature of the casting and wouldn't be without them in my flybox.

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I use them all the time. I always found it difficult to get a really neat shockleader knot before I tried them ( about 6 or 7 years back ), and occasionally cut my thumb and / or forearm to pieces. Diddly little shock knots have made that a thing of the past, plus it's easier to knot two lines of similar diameter when you're sitting on a freezing beach in a howling gale and have just had to pull for a break.

They don't help much with weed on the line - it still gets stuck on the leader knot - but they do help me put some oomph into a cast without worrying about collateral damage.

They're not cheap, but they suit me.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I only use taped for my fixed reels but on my multi's i use normal leaders as there's less contact on the reel to get caught on and prefer the same strength all the way though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use them all the time. I always found it difficult to get a really neat shockleader knot before I tried them ( about 6 or 7 years back ), and occasionally cut my thumb and / or forearm to pieces. Diddly little shock knots have made that a thing of the past, plus it's easier to knot two lines of similar diameter when you're sitting on a freezing beach in a howling gale and have just had to pull for a break.

They don't help much with weed on the line - it still gets stuck on the leader knot - but they do help me put some oomph into a cast without worrying about collateral damage.

They're not cheap, but they suit me.
What tapered shockleader do you use or recommend I use. I have been lookig at Ultima 15lb - 50lb which should cover most of my fishing. They are about a tenner for five.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Depending on ground I am fishing, when I do use tapered leaders I've been using the Bullet Tapered Leaders. Work great. :thumbup:

Sent from the Batcave.

·
13,170 Posts
Hi Wildbrownie. I wasn't going to reply (because that seemed to have been done well already). But on rereading the first post I saw mention of the lead going through the rings. Is this a mistake in posting....or a misunderstanding of what happens in a cast?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Wildbrownie. I wasn't going to reply (because that seemed to have been done well already). But on rereading the first post I saw mention of the lead going through the rings. Is this a mistake in posting....or a misunderstanding of what happens in a cast?
Hi Gulp, I should review before I post.
I meant to say the leader going through the rings with a 5oz lead attached.
What I was trying to explain is that even though the knot is bulky it probably wouldn't matter if it is attached to a 5oz lead the knot should wizz through the rings. With a tapered leader the knot will obviously be smaller but will it make a difference under the circumstances mentioned.

Everyone have been very helpfull and answered my question.

I just need to know what is the best make to use, there seem to be lots of tapered leaders about. I am a big Ultima fan for coarse and fly fishing so I assume the quality will be the same for sea.

·
13,170 Posts
Hi Gulp, I should review before I post.
I meant to say the leader going through the rings with a 5oz lead attached.
What I was trying to explain is that even though the knot is bulky it probably wouldn't matter if it is attached to a 5oz lead the knot should wizz through the rings. With a tapered leader the knot will obviously be smaller but will it make a difference under the circumstances mentioned.

Everyone have been very helpfull and answered my question.

I just need to know what is the best make to use, there seem to be lots of tapered leaders about. I am a big Ultima fan for coarse and fly fishing so I assume the quality will be the same for sea.
I thought that was what you meant as you have a fishing background.........just making sure:thumbs: Smaller is always better from the point of going through the rings and collecting weed. I generally use tapered shocks.........I think my last lot were Bullet.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hello Mr B

I use Varivas from Veals - £5.95 for 5. They suit a 13' rod perfectly, and taper from 70 Lb down to 18. That makes them good for up to 6 Oz with a serious chuck.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Hello Mr B

I use Varivas from Veals - £5.95 for 5. They suit a 13' rod perfectly, and taper from 70 Lb down to 18. That makes them good for up to 6 Oz with a serious chuck.
As above. I use the yellow ones which are a different colour to my mainline. I find this particularly useful when fishing at night as it gives you a good indication as to when you are about to beach .

G

·
i tried them but now just use normal leader and a strong small knot and never a problem , expense of a lost tapered annoys

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Hi,
Can you tell me what knot you tie to get a small knot out of a 60lb shockleader?
Thanks
Ian
Use a blob knot and a 6 turn grinner knot tied around the the shockleader . Heat the shockleader up with a lighter flame until you get a little round blob you like . After its cooled then get a foot or more of mainline and lay it over the shock leader about 6inches up from the blob . Pinch the lines between fourfinger and thumb of left hand and make 6 turns with mainline around shockleader , bring the tag end back to the fourfinger and thumb and this will produce a loop . You then make 6 turns through the loop with the tag end and pull ends nearly tight and lubricate . You can then gently tighten as you slide the grinner up to the blob . Bounce a few times and trim off tag end . I've been using blob for many years no problems , very streamlined and goes through guides easily and doesn't collect weed . If you have to pull for a brake and you have to have a weak spot somewhere otherwise you end up losing shed loads of mainline it goes just above the blob on the mainline .

:secret::blink::fish::fishing::cold:

G

·
Hi,
Can you tell me what knot you tie to get a small knot out of a 60lb shockleader?
Thanks
Ian
the smallest u can do is an overhand knot with the leader initially and tightening with pliers before tying the knot withur mainline , snipping the tag end of the finished knot tight is critical . Obvious answer but i hope it helps:thumbs: i use a grinner knot to complete the job. make sure u have 6 turns of leader line on ur spool when measuring ur leader out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts