World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst responding to another thread a question about target species was asked. Perhaps we should have a seperate thread for that?

My target species this year is a SEA TROUT legally hooked in the sea (as opposed to the many hooked... etc. etc. on an ordinary Trout licence, in Snowdonian rivers when they are in spate with the good old Lumbricus terrestris, and one eye out for baliffs. Wouldn't dream of doing that anymore, No No No!) The Sea Trout in the sea has evaded me for well over 50 years. Mike Snr. gave me some really good advice at the NEC last weekend, and ChrisP tells me that he catches them regularly from his boat ... SO that's it for 2005!

The day Charles got married for the first time, I seemed to be the only human being fishing so I had first try and had a 10 and half pound bass freelining with a big soft crab from the Benlas in the Swellies! It was a great day FOR ME anyway! Now it is a bit early for bass this time around but I intend to get a decent one this year together with another Mullet on the light stuff (was 13 when I last caught - two at 4lb, bread paste on a treble, on a handline underneath Menai Bridge (pontoon) pier, with one eye out for the piermaster!) I used to eat my fish in those days.

Isn't it strange how you can remember the details of great catches but forget all about blanks and there's far more of them!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Wrasse are my target for this year.Never see them up this way.NW England.
Partly the reason why this years Jolly Boys Trip is to Pembrokeshire .
Second week in May so hopefully there should be a few about.
Always thought they are such a pretty fish.(Is fishophilia illegal???)
All the best,
Terry F.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try Manobier in daylight with either ledgered hardback crabs or ragworm under a float and you shouldn't fail!

Crabs tend to result in the bigger Wrasse,

Tight Lines

·
Registered
210 Posts
Once caught a sea trout spinning for mackerel off newlyn pier (cornwall), was only small (around 1.51b), but put up a great fight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
usually follow the path around the cliffs from the left hand side of the beach and fish some of the gullies out the front. Make sure there is someone with you since you can get the odd rouge wave and the climb down the cliff can be dodgy so dont take to much gear.

Spider crabs can be a problem but they dont sem to like crab baits which will also usually bring out the bigger wrasse.

Tight lines

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i've got my sights set on a ray, everyone seems to catch them, it's tem n wrasse, but i reckon they shouldn't be too hard, i know where to go, just waiting for the weather to warm up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm hoping to catch a record trigger fish off the boat, had some last year to about 5lb, hell of a fight of a very light spinning rod. Brings a nice smile to your face

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
i would love to catch a wrasse. also a ray.

has anyone ever fished black rock in lydstep through the caravan park. i have been there before but only spinning. i caught mackeral and small pollock.
it looks very 'fishy' if you know what i mean?
does anyonne know any good wrasse marks around tenby. and lydstep?
cant wait till the summmer :D

·
Banned
132 Posts
I'm after bream of the boat. last year tried 5 or 6 times to target them and blanked. but i did have a 3.5lb lobster instead (cooked wight).

last year i had conger for the first time .

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
You need to fish where you have red sandstone cliffs for wrasse, I have never done any good on limestone. There is a small tongue of red sandstone that cuts down to Llanstephan & Laugharne, but the limestone comes back in then until you get down to the Haven.
The Cliffs of St Annes Head & deep water close in on Milford Haven itself round Hubberston & on round the head should produce wrasse.
have a look on Google for Geological Map of Wales & the one from Southampton University will show you where the old red sandstone deposits are, & where they are, the wrasse are!
blueskip

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
chazz said:
I'm after bream of the boat. last year tried 5 or 6 times to target them and blanked. but i did have a 3.5lb lobster instead (cooked wight).

You want to try a bream trip out of Aberystwyth say July-Sept. It's great fun and because tides are not too strong you can use a light spinning rod & fixed spool reel. They put up one hell of a scrap on such gear. Far more fun than tope. On a good day you can catch/release 10-20 fish from 1/2 to 2+lb, along with a mixture of other reef-dwellers.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
320 Posts
the species that im going for this year is in fact ANY SPECIES cause last year i had a dreadful time

·
Registered
198 Posts
I always manage a few wrasse of Mubbles Pier, boom trace, worm tipped, straight down the side next to the poles!
Would mind a huss from the shore this year and will try an beat last years best bass (6lb).
Ya never know!!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Black bream, triggers, all the rays (except stingers), huss and plaice. A decent turbot, gurnards and ling would also be nice. Oh, and a good bass on the fly with a side order of sea trout. All from the shore. Got the marks - just got to find the time to fit it all in.

Rhod.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thanks to all who have given advice re. wrasse marks and tactics.
I will putting it to hopefully good use in May and will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again,
Terry F.

·
Registered
208 Posts
chazz said:

There are loads of marks out there for the black bream( not sure where your from). But bream seem to be very catholic fish, i have only taken them in numbers on a carm day, with lug as bait on a 3 hook pat. When they realy come on the feed i use a single hook flowing trace and add a small slice of macky or squid(seems to find the bigger fish). I'm not sure if all will agree with the above, but it works for me. Also try ground baiting to get them feeding

1 - 20 of 23 Posts