World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m a newbie so please be gentle ! After 30 years I’ve got myself another boat that needs some TLC.
It’s a Taskforce 21 and I’m very happy with her so far. Is there anyone out there with a 21 and could give me some info please on what outboard they are running and info on fuel consumption and knots as I have yet to get an outboard, I’m thinking of 115hp.
Thanks Zip.

Vehicle Tire Watercraft Boat Wheel

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
63,651 Posts
Welcome to WSF :)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Hi I’m a newbie so please be gentle ! After 30 years I’ve got myself another boat that needs some TLC.
It’s a Taskforce 21 and I’m very happy with her so far. Is there anyone out there with a 21 and could give me some info please on what outboard they are running and info on fuel consumption and knots as I have yet to get an outboard, I’m thinking of 115hp.
Thanks Zip.

View attachment 1379557
Hi, and welcome to wsf.

Taskforces do to be good boats and would to be a good choice. Before you to even think of an outboard, you may to want to answer this question. how much TLC does this boat need?

If you do to look into the boat equipment and maintenance section you will to see that in boat speak TLC very often does to mean a total strip down and to re build of the supporting sections which do tend to rot, including deck. This can to be both costly and time intensive, and many do to find it does be better to save more and to get a boat that does come as a package ready to go.

I can to already see the transom does to be cut down and it does to look like it does to lack a splashwell, which does to be very dangerous when it does to come to being onto the sea. I can to imagine with this modification there do to be other issues to worry about too.

This does to not be said to put a downer onto your boat, but to make you aware you may to have a large project ahead of yourself and to say that safety at sea does to be the most inportant thing.
If you do to throw some pictures up, we can to see a little more and to advise further.
Many projects do to be written about into here, including a taskforce rebuild and much advice does to be had to help as much as possible.
Taskforce rebuild does to be here :
Once you to iron out the issues, you will to be very happy with her for many years.

Best wishes Jude.

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
Assuming the boat is sound (which of course is a pre-requisite to fitting any engine) I would say 115 is a minimum for a 21ft boat - 150 would be better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, and welcome to wsf.

Taskforces do to be good boats and would to be a good choice. Before you to even think of an outboard, you may to want to answer this question. how much TLC does this boat need?

If you do to look into the boat equipment and maintenance section you will to see that in boat speak TLC very often does to mean a total strip down and to re build of the supporting sections which do tend to rot, including deck. This can to be both costly and time intensive, and many do to find it does be better to save more and to get a boat that does come as a package ready to go.

I can to already see the transom does to be cut down and it does to look like it does to lack a splashwell, which does to be very dangerous when it does to come to being onto the sea. I can to imagine with this modification there do to be other issues to worry about too.

This does to not be said to put a downer onto your boat, but to make you aware you may to have a large project ahead of yourself and to say that safety at sea does to be the most inportant thing.
If you do to throw some pictures up, we can to see a little more and to advise further.
Many projects do to be written about into here, including a taskforce rebuild and much advice does to be had to help as much as possible.
Once you to iron out the issues, you will to be very happy with her for many years.

Best wishes Jude.
Hi Jude, thanks for your concern regarding the transom but it is as it should be 20” for a long shaft and there is a good sized splash well.
I think it’s going to be a little bit of work but at the end it should make for a good stable fishing boat for my needs, and also there is not many of these 21s about so something different.
I’ve added some pics of transom.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Blue Fixture Wood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Blue Naval architecture Boat

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Hi Jude, thanks for your concern regarding the transom but it is as it should be 20” for a long shaft and there is a good sized splash well.
I think it’s going to be a little bit of work but at the end it should make for a good stable fishing boat for my needs, and also there is not many of these 21s about so something different.
I’ve added some pics of transom.
View attachment 1379563 View attachment 1379562
Hi Zip, this to be a much better view and yes, to be obvious a splashwell does exist, which did not to look as so into the first picture.
It does to look much better than i did expect to be honest! but there does to be alot of debris into the splashwell to suggest it did to be left outdoors with no cover for a long time.
I would to be drilling a number of holes into the transom at intervals at the inside of the boat to check it to not be sodden, then if all does be fine then to refill with dowels and resin to seal back up.
There does be many holes drilled from this picture with water drip marks evident, and to be wise to double check as all to be sources of water ingress to rot a transom.
If you to notice the drain plug at the bottom of the transom does have a darker blue around it, which can to be signs of a wet core into the transom also. If this is the case then it does need replaced, and you can to bet the deck even if it does feel solid does to house some ugly too once to investigate. Wet transoms can to feel very solid indeed, but when to be replacing them you to realise the inside does to be dust.

If as Clinker does to say you to hang a 100hp+ off the back, then you do to want to have this 100% reliable as not only does it to be a hefty weight to hang, it does to create huge force onto the back of the boat into terms of flex and torsion.

I to only ask because of the setting pictures into the background, did this come from a man called phil into lymington by any chance?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nice piece of boat! Looking forward to see the progress of your work 💪

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Nice boat but do yourself a favour as Jude said because it will cost you next to nothing but could save loads and even a life and you will know for sure in under an hour and be done before lunch. Be a complete fool not to.

• Love
Reactions: Lady Half Pint

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi, and welcome to wsf.

Best wishes Jude.
errrrrrrr, what? Am I missing something here? What are all the to’s about? Sorry but I am struggling to understand the reply?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
errrrrrrr, what? Am I missing something here? What are all the to’s about? Sorry but I am struggling to understand the reply?
I do to suffer from a brain injury as i did to have an aneurysm last year. I to be sorry if you do not to understand but i do to have issues to write well into communicantions now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice boat but do yourself a favour as Jude said because it will cost you next to nothing but could save loads and even a life and you will know for sure in under an hour and be done before lunch. Be a complete fool not to.

Thanks for the info, I had a good look and a poke at the transom when I purchased it and am very happy with it, otherwise I would have left it alone. I went in half way in the holes that are all ready there and it’s pretty solid. There is a very small bit of rot on the top where the water has got in and I will sort that. I will have another good look tho and if it needs doing I will do so, I was a cabinet maker by trade and made quite a few antiques !!! So I’m sure I will be able to get my head around this one. The floor is sound, not bouncy, and I believe the stringers are fiberglass. There is a little rot around the cabin I will get them sorted.
As I said it would be good to get her back up and tidy again as the 21s are pretty rare.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Glad to hear, it's just due diligence. Keep us updated with pics of the refurb, everyone loves a good story (y)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I do to suffer from a brain injury as i did to have an aneurysm last year. I to be sorry if you do not to understand but i do to have issues to write well into communicantions now.
Fair enough, it was just a bit strange, I thought it may have been a language thing that I wasn’t familiar with ( bit like with Scottish putting wee and ey in places )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts