World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Swansea's River Tawe, Am injured n on crutches! Would love to mess about with some lure fishing in the tidal part of the river ( above the sea barrage to about 2 miles upstream where there's a weir) but aren't sure what I could catch (and legally keep) from this sort of water! I've seen some massive beasty fish cruising up and down but never tried for them! Would this seem like a productive venue this time of year? What sort of lures should I be using? What would be considered dinner?‼ Please help with the cabin fever n give me some motivation to get out travelling light!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
dont know the area, but the fish sound like mullet, the lures are no good for these, only bass.
the mullet can be caught on course fishing weight lines and bread, best of luck, you will need it.:)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Do you need a license too? is the marina going upstream classed as fresh water now they have the wier and lockgates.
just a thought you might get in a sticky situation if a bailiff stopped you...

john

·
Registered
462 Posts
iv fished it a few times just up from the park and ride mate after the mullet, the big beasts u can see swimming on the surface are mullet to catch these ul need bread rag worms sweetcorn and i have caught a few on small macky strips but bread is normaly the best bait.
use a simple float rod and reel with a float that takes a few swan shot to help cast out a distance.

as for eating a mullet it aint the nicest fish around as they feed on S"it in the riverr and sea catch and return these fish are mate. very sporty fish tho they go like a train good laff ojn course gear if u need any more info just pm me

JaY

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If it's not tidal you CAN'T use lures until the 16th June only fly!You will also need a Salmon licence on the Tawe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If they are mullet try putting a bread bag (netting) out a day or two before hand and get them used to it, then use a tiny bit of bread flake and small hook. They are a classicly hard-to-catch and wily fish! If you're used to game fishing, it will have been good practice!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
as for eating a mullet it aint the nicest fish around as they feed on S"it in the riverr and sea catch and return these fish are mate.
JaY
Got to disagree with you on this one mate, I think mullet is a real tasty catch. I've had mullet and bass on my plate together and could hardly tell the difference. Just avoid the ones caught near sewers (although apparently they feed on earthworms in the sewage rather than the sh1t itself.) I heard this from some article where a bloke gutted a fish caught feeding by a sewer outfall and it was full of earthworms. (probably a bit of sweetcorn in it as well!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts