World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Loch Etive other day @ Taynuilt off the small pier where tourist boat sails from, Fished 6hrs caught 3 Doggies to 1.8 lb a cracking Thornback Ray 4.6lb :) a Sea Scorpion and a Grey Gunard just short of a lb. :eek: All fell to squid fished on a long trace all fish were returned alive . This is a good spot with loads of parking and it is sheltered and really quiet i have fished this spot quite a few times well worth a try guys.

Ps Guys who sail tourist boat don't mind you on the pier as long as you dont leave a mess and pull your lines in when the are loading passangers for the loch tours (usually every 2-3 hrs )

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
i am going to oban on friday
so squid works then
whole or cut up also what other baits.
i only used herring , mackerel last time i was there

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Were you fishing with dynamite bmac mate ;) ? Me and ma dad fished there in May, two rods out for 5 hours, end result, one grey gurnard of about 8oz for ma dad.
EDIT: If you want to post the rig up here, please do as I only fished a two hook flapper there the last time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fished etive this year with only a couple of gurnard and rays.
3 weeks ago the club went to oban and got two skate.
One at 158lb and the other 156lb
Last week went to drummore one tope at 32lb the rest small pollok plenty mackerel

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys , My rig is simple a 4-5oz grip lead on a snap swivel then attach the flowing trace about 2ft and a 4/0 hook with 3-4 orange and yellow beads . I usually use the Squid head or half the body ( make it a quite big bait or you just catch sm Gunard, Sea Scorpions and Crabs :mad: ) It is best to fish as tide is going out cos when it starts coming in its really hard to hold the bottom and loads of weed ends up round your line . you can use Rag as well but you will get pestered with sm fish , Fresh mackerel strip is a killer also.

float fished mackie strip also catches sea trout saw a couple of guys catching them , only small though.

If your going to Oban its also good around the Green Frog Pub @ the marina just before Oban, sand and shingle good for ray and flatties or if you have a car just a short 25 min drive go down to the pier @ kilmelfort (other side of oban ) great action spinning for pollack and mackerel .and last of all if you can go down to Oban pier they usually do mid week mackie bashing 4hr boat trips (you will see it on the blackboard on the pier). have a good one let me know how you get on ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts