Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Date: Sunday 14th October.
Vessel: Team Shed
Skipper: Dean Cork
Target: Bream +++
Anglers: Dean, Offy, Me

The window finally presented itself after a week of ‘will it’ ‘won’t it’.
We met Dean at first light and stepped aboard. We steamed out for 10 minutes before dropping the anchor and watching the beautiful sunrise. It was first frost in North Devon but the sun soon started to warm things. We watched this anvil cloud slowly build and build as it headed away on the offshore and it proceeded to dump masses of rain far out to sea.

We rigged up for bream and from the off they were smashing the squid and maccy baits.

Good fish up to 2lb 12oz.

We were returning many fish that would normally be kept but we were out for the day and it was awesome to see them go back.

Dean was enjoying fishing rather than skippering and he was smashing them too.

We were bringing in double shots mostly around the 2lb size with the odd smaller and occasionally larger fish. All were fighting hard and just starting to fatten up. Perhaps a little late to do so this year.

Si mixed it up with this wrasse. Any ideas what it is? I think it might be a very pale, male Rock Cook. Definately not a Goldsinny, Ballan, Corking or Cuckoo.

We had ballan, quite a few huss, Ling, lost a big snake,,,

Then the Burnard showed up as we moved slightly on the anchor.

Si had scad.

The poor Cod, Pout and Dogs were low in numbers but there too.

Maccy were occasional throughout the day but generally small and Si enjoyed most of the day being a fish puppeteer with his bream rod one side and using Dean’s tried and tested method of freelining shads for Pollack on the spinning rod.

He was hitting fish like thios throughout the day. Keeping some but throwing many back. Dean was also bringing them to the side as well as we passed the net between us as there was barely ever more then a handful of minutes where there was not a ‘fish on’.

We never used more then 6oz of lead in the biggest of tides and in 100ft of water this is fishing light inshore waters at its best.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then they started….!!

Come on the Triggers!!

And the bream never left and double shots were happening too. Which one do you try to net first??

You never quite know what fish you will find next on the line.

I didn’t think I took many pictures and I missed many fish but looking back through the collection I still took quite a few.

Of course Simon was the usual fishing machine.

Dean was quietly catching fish hand over fist and I actually made him stop to pose with this nugget of a red gurnard. Surely a specimen at 1lb 12oz.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My final drop of the day saw my best double shot of the day with a 2lb bream and this personal best 3lb 12oz Trigger. Get in!!

We kept quite a bit between us but we probably put about two thirds back. I spend all last night cleaning and filleting so we can eat fish over the winter. Given the conditions I’m not sure when the next boat trip will be so tonight it will be trigger fillets and tomorrow I am looking forward to trying Gurnard for the first time.

Dean kindly donated his clonker of a red to me and Laura. Cheers dude you’re a star!!

So after a count up we reckoned on 14 species and the highlights were….

80+ Bream (To 2lb 12oz).

Triggers (To 3lb 12oz).

Huss (To approx 8lb- Not weighed).

Ling (To approx 8lb- Not weighed).

Pollack (To approx 8lb- Not weighed)

Red Gurnard (To 1lb 12oz).

A cracking day out on Team Shed with an amazing skipper and inshore fishing at its very best. A shame no Porgies on the shark rod but that really was a secondary mission. What a great season in the new boat with double figure bass, porgies, a record beating thresher (Not claimed) and many more of what has been shown here.

Cheers Dean and Si. This was my favourite trip of the year!!!

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So sorry to miss you guys the other evening. I was gutted I couldn't get out and join everyone and you and Jules in particular. I will see Jools and pass on you gifts to her in the next day or so. She knows stuff is coming and is very excited.

Oh yeah and you think that's carnage?? You should have seen my kitchen last night. It was a filleting production line with me learning to fillet triggers and Boris begging for scraps. It should save on the supermarket meat bill for some time and I also managed a full clean down before the boss returned from night shift. So I think I'm safe!

·
Registered
976 Posts
A cracking report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I have only cooked gurnard once and found it a bit on the dry side, even though it was wrapped in foil and had some olive oil drizzled over. I didn't have a recipe to refer to as I cooked it in the caravan. It was tasty though.

Tight lines

Phil

·
Registered
285 Posts
Top report Matt

Just love catching triggers and bream on light gear, but no more this year as I just took the boat out tonight.
I think your right about the wrasse being a rock cook, did you check the pre-operculum it has serrations that continue from the hind edge onto the lower margin.

Cheers

N

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have only cooked gurnard once and found it a bit on the dry side, even though it was wrapped in foil and had some olive oil drizzled over. I didn't have a recipe to refer to as I cooked it in the caravan. It was tasty though.

Tight lines

Phil
We just ate the gurnard dean gave us. We did it lightly pan fried with sage, garlic butter with home grown lemon juice. It was served with lightly blanched brocoli with oven roast and seasoned ramiro pepper and butternut squash. Served with an Italian barbera (red) it was in my opinion better then any meal I've ever paid for. Thanks Dean, you're a legend!!

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just love catching triggers and bream on light gear, but no more this year as I just took the boat out tonight.

I think your right about the wrasse being a rock cook, did you check the pre-operculum it has serrations that continue from the hind edge onto the lower margin.

Cheers

N
I didn't check the wrasse in any detail as i wasnt sure what to look for other than crescent or spot markings and the dorsal count at a later date. Meanwhile Simon was already catching fish again which needed netting so hoped for help on here with the ID from the pic if possible.

Shame the boats out but many are out in bude as you probably know and the rest out probably on the top of these or next large set in a fortnight I imagine.
We just never had that Indian summer did we? Big surf is a coming.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Rite on kids looks mint defo wouldn't mind a session myself proper job

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had my first trigger from the beach last month, always been a bogus species for me but I broke my duck with a fish of 4lb 5oz! :)
Nice one Tipper that's one hell of a fish from the shore mate!!!! :notworthy:notworthy

Did you get a picture? Put it up if you got one dude as that's a donkey.

I shall be eating trigger tonight.

Sniggle put this link on the cooking your catch section for filleting them.. I wish I'd seen it before I did mine (With kife AND scissors) and I wish I had a sharper knife but taking the flesh off the skin was a doozy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHziq6idvw

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here you go, had a few more around the 2lb mark but this was by far the best. :)

Whata fxxing stomper mate bet that was an awesome scrap

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.