World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of times we have been out it has been a lot rougher than I have liked.
Nothing ridiculous but last trip was 3-4' waves with 24mph wind.
Pretty new to fishing from our own boat so not really sure what techniques should be used to fish in these sort of conditions?
We have not really caught anything in this weather which makes the whole thing kind of pointless and unnecessarily dangerous.

The last trip had a fair run of tide along with the wind and mackerel feathers were just running from the boat at 45deg. Bottom baits on braid with 8oz lead were barely holding.
We were drifting far to fast to catch anything so tried leaving the boat in gear, this was holding the boat pretty well and slowing the drift down but then the 8oz was not enough to hold bottom at all.

What's the trick?
Heavier leads?
Anchor up and put up with the rocking?
Or should we just plan the trips better/stay onshore in rough conditions?
I did notice only one other boat had left the harbour and they stayed closer in than we did. They were a fair bit bigger than us though and seemed to be getting pushed more by the wind. They did catch a few but I did not think to ask them how they were doing it at the time!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Stay at home. That's the beauty of having your own boat - you don't need to go. Anchoring in high winds tends to cause the boat to swing at anchor and you don't catch anything anyway in my experience!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
24mph winds sounds a bit crazy tbh. Most professional charter skippers have a cut-off at around 15 and what you describe sounds way beyond what they would consider safe. You don't say where you launched from but if it's Poole or Weymouth the potential for trouble is there the minute you leave their respective harbours.
If you can find a lee you can anchor up in safely then maybe but otherwise - agree with Mad's advice above. Risking it all for a few mackerel (which will be offshore anyway) ... really?

·
Registered
783 Posts
An absolute MUST is checking the weather BEFORE you go out...........There's always ANOTHER day........But not another LIFE.
You wouldn't catch me out in those winds/conditions, unless the forecast was good and it kicks up rough while i'm out there.
And then you make your way "slowly and safely" back to shelter.
I watch the weather reports for the week before going out, and if it changes to being bad the night before going I just don't go.
It's just not worth it.
Just my thoughts tho.

·
Registered
625 Posts
On a rough day I try ground-baiting. Not by choice though.

Try a heavier weight to keep in touch with the bottom and a drogue to slow the drift rate.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
What's the trick?
In those conditions ............ GO HOME

Fishing is supposed to be enjoyable, and being tossed around like a cork not only makes for very uncomfortable fishing, it also becomes dangerous for the crew (balance, lead weights, flying hooks etc).

Remember, when moving, the boat has a lot more stability so can cope with bigger seas ............ drifting you are usually beam on to the sea, and taking punishment in those conditions you describe ............... at anchor you will be bow to an angle of wind and sea (dependent on wind speed), which can be very uncomfortable at times ..............

Generally I am looking for a swell time of 5 secs minimum, a max wave height of 0.5m and a wind speed of 10 - 15knts Max .............. when the swell period is 10secs or more, then I will be happy with a 1m wave height .............. my boat is a 6m (19ft) RIB, so will cope with very rough seas, but I don't need to be there in those conditions !

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Your boat should be drifting at the same speed as the current, so for you to be drifting in the manner you describe, your hull must either be pretty light or have a large area to catch the wind. Does the boat face into the wind or does it it stern into it ? if stern I would say the cab is catching the wind which can be reduced by using a sea drogue or sea parachute (some people call them) . You can deploy these from any part of the boat to control the direction a boat sits in the wind and reduce drift speed, I personally like to use the next size bigger than advised for my boat. That will reduce your drift speed and if placed off the bow will face you directly into the the wind and wave action making a much better ride.

Your line heading off at those angles sounds to me like you could either be using heavy thick braid or heavy mono. Reducing the line diameter will greatly reduce this effect of your line drifting off at such an angle. A mono or braid line of 20lb should be plenty if tied with good knots.

Are you sure the wind was blowing 26knots? this is how the water is in my area at 10knots, with anything over 15 not being that fishable.

IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG

Today we have rain and 25knots, which Im sitting back on land to watch!!!

_JDP6505.jpg

_JDP6556.jpg

_JDP6572.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.12.08 pm.png

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Jon, does living in Oz give you a death wish :wink:

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
No point pushing the weather for a bit of dangling,anchoring in big seas can be dangerous

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Like most boat owners on here I go out fishing for fun and I won't take my boat out in anything more than F4, preferring a F2-3 and a well known skipper once said to me that he would rather be on the shore wishing he had gone out that being on his boat wishing he had stayed ashore.

When you own your own boat you go fishing when you want to not because you have to. :ugh2:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
As others are saying - no fun in fishing in rough conditions, even when you are catching.
I don’t mind going through the rough stuff to get to a good (sheltered) mark, but anchoring in it (worst part is recovering the anchor!), or drifting in it - leave that to the guys who have to do it for a living.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Its funny I was thinking about this comment of fishing in 24kts which in sheltered waters protected by land could be pretty comfortable. There wasn't many windy days I could fish somewhere in my boat in the solent as the waves simply didn't have enough distance to travel to gain size. Here 24kts can litraly mean 5-6m seas not 4-5ft chop like my old IOW area.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Wind direction and strength affects different areas in very different ways - I was fishing today in 15 knots of wind and it was calm enough to have my 2 yr old and 5 yr old grandchildren with me. Maybe a 3 ft swell.
That was from a westerly wind - had it been 20 knots that would have been on the verge of uncomfortable.
Swap that 15 knot westerly to a southerly wind and it would have been a higher but more gentle swell.
If it then backed to an easterly it would have been very steep 5-6ft waves, and I’d have stayed on the mooring! (I have done it for a charity bass fishing comp, but had to find shelter after catching just one bass because one of the crew was getting rather sick)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts