World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
relatively swift retreive sometimes slowing or stopping and jerking the rod a little, this way it creates a fair bit of disturbance, which is what you're after

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've tried the mag popper and chug bugs and find that the mag popper tends to tangle quite easily. If you give it a sharp tug the line often wraps around the front hook which ruins the action. This may be because I like to use a snap swivel to attach my lures. I have found that using the reel to vary the action(slow and fast winding) prevents the tangles and gives a subtle action. I haven't had any such problems with the chug bugs which make incredible amounts of disturbance.

Still not caught on the mag popper yet so would be interested in hearing how others use theirs.

Rich

·
Registered
268 Posts
I tend to use either an abu 5601 or 4600 Mag and tend to find these muche better than a fixed spool. The Chug Bugs are good but the RT Bass Busters are good too, good weight to cast and make A LOT of disturbance and they are dead cheap.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I can gather Chug Bugs, etc are best used to create comotion followed by moments of allowing it to sit stationary ?

I keep reading about getting a fixed spool that allows very rapid retrieve of surface lures (with some people complaining that they cannot retrieve a lure fast enough!). What situations and with what lures do you use this high speed retrieve ??

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I keep reading about getting a fixed spool that allows very rapid retrieve of surface lures (with some people complaining that they cannot retrieve a lure fast enough!). What situations and with what lures do you use this high speed retrieve ??
Rob when you are fishing in a tidal stream or flow and you want the lure to swim properly a faster retrieve rate can be an advantage. Basically it's a help with lure presentation in difficult conditions.

Also from a lot of reading on fishing in the tropics a faster retrieve is helpful in attracting strikes from certain species when spinning poppers and stick baits. The opposite is true with jigging where a more powerful gearing is preferred to assist in lifting up large powerful fish from the depths. Some of the stick baits used on high speed retrieves are the Roberts Rangers (and various weight variations thereof) and the Orion Big Foot. The Rangers are sometimes retrieved at such a fast rate that the lure literally skips across the top of the water although for other species a slower retrieve is more effective. Those Orion lures are not cheap but are built to withstand the ravages of Giant Trevally.

You can check the lures out on these sites:

http://www.robertslures.com/

http://www.caranx.net/shop.htm

Here's a thread on the caranx forum about Rangers:

http://www.caranx.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1136

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my first serious spinning session for bass last weekend and it was also the first time I used a Chug Bug. If you go to google and search for Chug Bug it comes up with a link to a page on the ukbass.com website which is an adobe file that I found usefull on how to use them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No joy with it last weekend when fishing in the Hamble but did have a small fish surface next to it which got the adreneline flowing! Good luck.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
New to this part of the forum normally just cover the welsh section. Could you give me some advice on a single handed setup with a multiplier for use in the uk mainly?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use multi's with a shimano exage stc. I bought it as a travel rod but use it all the time beacuse I totally love it to bits.

Reel wise I use 2 multis the main one is an abu 5601 CS C4 high speed. This is a good little reel (left handed with levelwind) and the thumb bar instead of button means that as soon as you have made a retrieve you can flick it out again effortlessly.

The only thing that could make this a better reel is mag control. Which brings me to my other reel a 4600 C4 Mag Trax.

Which is a smaller right handed mag'ed version of the above. I wish I could have found this reel left handed because it's ace, its just a bit annoying swaping hands for the cast. Although I can retreive just as well with either hand.

If you are a southpaw this reel would be great. I use storm thunderline mono on these multis and it works well, I have been tempted by braid but haven't used it on a multi so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts