World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

i'm going down to teignmouth this weekend, will be staying on a campsite just up from the bridge on the Shaldon side of the estuary. Me and my mate will be taking our kayaks down for a bit of fishing hopefully launching at the campsite.
Can anyone give any advice on fishing the estuary and what can be caught.
will probably be trying live sandeel due to ease, as i see they are netted and sold on the beach but await your advice

any spots you could advise would be most appreciated and reciprocated if you come up to the gower or south wales area.

i can understand not wanting to post on an open forum so you can pm me instead which if you do then the information won't be passed on again

cheers
john

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi mate.

I don't fish the mouth of the estuary much but have seen a few fish come out to live sandeel near the sand bars close to Shaldon bridge. Fish very light with as little weight as possible. Be careful because the tide can run very strongly through this area. Have a look at low water where the bars and gullies are and fish close to these as the tide rises. If you decide to fish further up the estuary then you'll want to try peeler crab as well. I had my PB bass around about this time last year from further up the estary. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The Teign estuary is a designated bass nursery between 30th April and 1st November each year when fishing for bass in the estuary from a boat is banned. Fishing for bass from the shore is OK. Also the use of sand-eels from a boat in the estuary as bait is banned. This applies to fishing for any species - not just bass, so if you're caught in your kayak with sand-eels for bait you're in trouble. Once again though fishing with sand-eels from the shore of the estuary is OK.

There are 37 such nurseries around the coast.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I've never actually fished in the Teign estuary itself as when I stayed down in Shaldon a couple of years ago we took the boat out of the estuary and trolled along the coast so I don't have much knowledge of shore marks personally but here's some spots that were posted some time ago on another forum by someone who lives in Teignmouth and sells the sand-eels on the beach in summer. I'm sure a few other people can elaborate on these suggestions. Hope this is of some help if you do want to fish for bass.

1= Teignmouth/Shaldon Bridge
Really you are not allowed to fish here anymore, but this law has not stopped anyone. The place to fish is on or near the 3rd lamp post from the Teignmouth side of the bridge, either side, depending on the tide. The biggest Bass from here that I have seen was just over 12lbs

2 = Salty
The best time to fish this is just when it is uncovering, chest waders are essential! People fish this place day in day out with very good results. The best place to fish is towards the bridge, but particularly by the last mooring near the bridge.

3= Polly Steps
Again, the outgoing tide is great, fishing anywhere along pollysteps will provide good catches. Biggest I have seen here is a 9lb fish.

4= Fish Quay
This is probably, my favourite mark in the river, this produces fish in august on whole sprat casting up river.

5= Back Beach
Right outside where they sell live sandeel, you will catch loads of schoolie bass, great fun to catch with the odd 3lb fish turning up

6= Shaldon Lighthouse
Low tide mark only, fishing along side a strong current and a wall.

P.S I've also been told the point which is the very end of Teignmouth beach and which looks such a good place to fish is a tackle graveyard. Apparently some of the locals have been known to suggest it as a hot spot to visitors as they can then go and collect their lost tackle at low water! Also if you decide to fish the Salty which is the shallow area of the river on the Shaldon side towards the bridge (marked on Ordnance Survey map) which is exposed at low water you need to be a bit careful as it fills from behind. The water comes in fast so it's probably a good idea to watch a tide before you don your waders and venture out.

Also further back up the river I believe there is a good flounder mark called Charlie's Beach which I think might be pretty close to where you're camping. One thing I have heard though is the that Kingsbridge which isn't far away may be fishing better than the Teign these days. Maybe someone from down that way could add some more info regarding this?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
If your gonna fish from your kayak outside the mouth with live eel be aware its a very strong tide towards low which can get very lumpy with even the slightest wind from s,se,e,ne.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts