World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Was hoping if anyone has experience of the following rods; have an HTO LRF rod but broke the tip. It did however struggle to ping out small metal lures so looking at these 2 rods;

Teklon 732L 7ft3', 7-12g

or

Daiwa Gekkabijin 83ML-T, 3-10g

Both are the beefed up models, I find unless its flat calm I cant get away with the 1-5g models?

Would appreciate your views before taking he plunge?

Tight lines

Simon

WSF Primary Administrator.
Teklon is in know way an LRF rod.

Personally I would say go for the Daiwa every time and remember Daiwa are big supporters of the LRF style.

The longer Daiwa is right at the top of the LRF finesse scale as most proper LRF rods max out at around 7g.

Registered
Hi all,

Was hoping if anyone has experience of the following rods; have an HTO LRF rod but broke the tip. It did however struggle to ping out small metal lures so looking at these 2 rods;

Teklon 732L 7ft3', 7-12g

or

Daiwa Gekkabijin 83ML-T, 3-10g

Both are the beefed up models, I find unless its flat calm I cant get away with the 1-5g models?

Would appreciate your views before taking he plunge?

Tight lines

Simon
The gekka's is a nice rod for metals, will happily fish light lrf jigheads too. It's worth having a look at the slash tide vision too awesome rods for windier coastlines and metals.

SLASH Tide Vision 782TB | LRF (Light Rock Fishing) | Lrf Fishing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teklon is in know way an LRF rod.

Personally I would say go for the Daiwa every time and remember Daiwa are big supporters of the LRF style.

The longer Daiwa is right at the top of the LRF finesse scale as most proper LRF rods max out at around 7g.

Thanks Nick, you say the teklons not an LRF rod because its rated 7-12g?, the teklon does come in lighter flavours:

Teklon;
702UL, 7ft, 0.8-5g solid tip,
and the 702-UL-T, 1-7g with a hollow tip?

or

Gekko;

GEKKABIJIN 70UL-S: 0.5g-5g - rock pool fishing. - too light for me
GEKKABIJIN 76UL-S: 0.5-5g but a 6' longer -
GEKKABIJIN 83ML-T: 3-10g, stepped up for longer casts, and hollow tip

What would be your choice? Still the Gekko?

Thanks
Simon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gekka's is a nice rod for metals, will happily fish light lrf jigheads too. It's worth having a look at the slash tide vision too awesome rods for windier coastlines and metals.

SLASH Tide Vision 782TB | LRF (Light Rock Fishing) | Lrf Fishing

Thanks for reply Tom.Had a look at the rod you mention, looks the business but is nearly 拢80 more than I can get the Gekko for.

I think both the heavier gekko & the Tide Vision will cope with pier work for mini species and also pinging out 6g metal jigs for a fat pollack

Thanks

Simon

Registered
Thanks for reply Tom.Had a look at the rod you mention, looks the business but is nearly 拢80 more than I can get the Gekko for.

I think both the heavier gekko & the Tide Vision will cope with pier work for mini species and also pinging out 6g metal jigs for a fat pollack

Thanks

Simon
Both will cope fine with 6g you want a tube tip for the metals though so I'd go with the 8'3

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both will cope fine with 6g you want a tube tip for the metals though so I'd go with the 8'3

Thanks Tom & Nick,

Its great to have advice like this on the Lure forum! :notworthy

PS. Need about 150yds of PE 0.4.? Probably about 6/8lb - loads of brands out there, use 15lb PP for HRF & 88lb for Heavy Winter Cod, is the PP 0.06/3kg up to the job or can you recomend an alternative superbraid?

Cheers
Simon

Registered
Thanks Tom & Nick,

Its great to have advice like this on the Lure forum! :notworthy

PS. Need about 150yds of PE 0.4.? Probably about 6/8lb - loads of brands out there, use 15lb PP for HRF & 88lb for Heavy Winter Cod, is the PP 0.06/3kg up to the job or can you recomend an alternative superbraid?

Cheers
Simon
I really like the toray light fish pe, P.E 0.4 is rated 5lb (I don't bother with strength rating figures anymore) it's easily strong enough for anything you should encounter.

I have just got a longer heavier LRF rod for this year,it's another Graphiteleader Finezza rated to around 10g and have also invested in some of the wonderful Famell 8lbs braid.

It's got to be the best 4 strander out there,I have had some of the 16lbs rated stuff for a few seasons now and it's fantastic.

It's a step up from PowerPro.......

My Gekko reel has 70m on each of my spools of Sunline small game PE 0.4......crazy thin stuff but brilliant,so it should be for over 拢50 lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just got a longer heavier LRF rod for this year,it's another Graphiteleader Finezza rated to around 10g and have also invested in some of the wonderful Famell 8lbs braid.

It's got to be the best 4 strander out there,I have had some of the 16lbs rated stuff for a few seasons now and it's fantastic.

It's a step up from PowerPro.......

My Gekko reel has 70m on each of my spools of Sunline small game PE 0.4......crazy thin stuff but brilliant,so it should be for over 拢50 lol.

No heard of Famell?

The MX2004? Thought about one to pair with the rod but wasnt sure how much PE04 u could squeeze on the spool?...less than 100yds?

Registered
No heard of Famell?

The MX2004? Thought about one to pair with the rod but wasnt sure how much PE04 u could squeeze on the spool?...less than 100yds?
Would be wary of the gekka reels a lot of people seem to have had problems with them in our neck of the woods.

Would be wary of the gekka reels a lot of people seem to have had problems with them in our neck of the woods.
I love my Gekkabigin reel....

It just grows on me although the spare spools are a shocking price...

No heard of Famell?

Fammel is one of the best braids you can buy...good price as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Really? they look a good spec too, saw one for sale in mint on here a few months back. Got a luvius 3000 thats brilliant but maybe a bit heavy for the 110g gekko 8ft3?

Got an Abu Orra S20 somewhere, so small I'll be damned if I can find it?

Any recommendations Tom?

Cheers
Simon

Registered
I love my Gekkabigin reel....

It just grows on me although the spare spools are a shocking price...
How much do did they try and charge you for one of them nick, recently sent my Saltiga for a bearing change and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price I'm guessing their anti corrosion bearing coating could well be diamond dust. Shimano doesn't seem too bad on spool prices though I've never asked what a stella spool might cost. The sustain ones where 拢20 and 拢25 each off ebay (for some reason the 4000 was cheaper than the 2500) although they took so long to arrive they may as well have been sent from the moon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fammel is one of the best braids you can buy...good price as well.

Found Famell SW super PE online in 1 shop, only comes in 16lb +?

sunline - heard good things about it, also will check out the one Tom mentioned.

TL,
Simon

Registered
Really? they look a good spec too, saw one for sale in mint on here a few months back. Got a luvius 3000 thats brilliant but maybe a bit heavy for the 110g gekko 8ft3?

Got an Abu Orra S20 somewhere, so small I'll be damned if I can find it?

Any recommendations Tom?

Cheers
Simon
I would always go with shimano for spinners these days, the certates are the only daiwa I would recommend and they are a bit overkill for lrf. Rareniums are a good shout (or a stradic ci4 if you want to match the rod) although for lrf fishing an aernos is more than adequate. I prefer 2500 sized reels to the diddy ones as they can then double up as hrf reels with a spare spool and on an 8ft plus would balance well.

I use Daiwa Luvias 2500 for FC lines on all my LRF rods....also with all the spare spools I have its wonderful for my HRF rods.

Found Famell SW super PE online in 1 shop, only comes in 16lb +?

sunline - heard good things about it, also will check out the one Tom mentioned.

TL,
Simon
As a 4 strand there is nothing better....one of the very best braids money can buy.
I just got some in 8lbs and you can get it in 6lbs.

How much do did they try and charge you for one of them nick, recently sent my Saltiga for a bearing change and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price I'm guessing their anti corrosion bearing coating could well be diamond dust. Shimano doesn't seem too bad on spool prices though I've never asked what a stella spool might cost. The sustain ones where 拢20 and 拢25 each off ebay (for some reason the 4000 was cheaper than the 2500) although they took so long to arrive they may as well have been sent from the moon.
Glad you asked that as it is a shocking answer.
I managed to get the price down to 拢60 from 拢85 !!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts