World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanted to try some stronger line for semi rough and cobbly ground.as always you have to go for thicker line to get the strengh,but having seen that teklon is a lot higher breaking strain for it's diameter,was wondering whether to give that a try.perhaps go to 40lb +breaking strain.this will hopefully be thick enough to not weaken with damage to easily,and also hopefully allow a stronger weak link (rotton bottom) as i'm fed up with the rb's breakin off way too easily...what you reckon then folks:unsure: .if negative feedback may go for sufix tritanium:unsure: :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My local shop sells it-he says that the rock anglers love it in heavier breaking strains but that in the thinner diameters [0.40 and under] thats its absolute crap and breaks for no reason.

You should be ok with it in 40lb b/s but I havent used it myself so I can only repeat what I was told.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local shop sells it-he says that the rock anglers love it in heavier breaking strains but that in the thinner diameters [0.40 and under] thats its absolute crap and breaks for no reason.

You should be ok with it in 40lb b/s but I havent used it myself so I can only repeat what I was told.

heard similar about the lower breaking strains,hopefully somebody here will know from experience:unsure: :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Tried Teklon Gold for the rough stuff. Think it was 40lb.
Hated it.
Went back to using 'normal' 30lb lines.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried Teklon Gold for the rough stuff. Think it was 40lb.
Hated it.
Went back to using 'normal' 30lb lines.

what did you dislike about it:unsure:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Used it a couple of years ago. Poor knot strength and had too many crack offs. Changed to Daiwa Tournament and never looked back.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
i've got teklon gold, 40lb, on my slosh 20, i've had my full body weight pulling against it to free me from a snag, neither the knot to the leader, nor the line broke, and near every chuck was into a solid snag !

was casting 6oz leads with prob another oz of bait too, cast's nice, i think the 40lb is .40 or .37mm, one or tother ! i'll defo buy it again, just hopefully not too often at the price !

i can't fault it.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've got teklon gold, 40lb, on my slosh 20, i've had my full body weight pulling against it to free me from a snag, neither the knot to the leader, nor the line broke, and near every chuck was into a solid snag !

was casting 6oz leads with prob another oz of bait too, cast's nice, i think the 40lb is .40 or .37mm, one or tother ! i'll defo buy it again, just hopefully not too often at the price !

i can't fault it.

that's the kind of thing i like to hear,though have heard some not so good things about the lower breaking strains.the biggest problem i've had with normal mono is it getting squashed in cobbles,it ends up breaking at stupidly low poundage unless you go to a stupid diameter:schmoll:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There was some other Grauvell line sold off a year back. It was called Epsilon i think and that too was low diametre high breaking strain. I used it for a while due to it being cheap and the fact a lot of lads were buying it at the time, but thought that it sometimes broke to easily when pulling for a break (perhaps it was old line?). I have reverted back to using Daiwa Sensor for really rough ground work now, but have recently being using the Greys Greylon and found that ok to fish with.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
that's the kind of thing i like to hear,though have heard some not so good things about the lower breaking strains.the biggest problem i've had with normal mono is it getting squashed in cobbles,it ends up breaking at stupidly low poundage unless you go to a stupid diameter:schmoll:
to be honest, i've only used it on about 4 occasions so far, but first impressions are certainly good, my f1 woulda broken long before the rod and line was the only thing holding me up as leaned into it to get a snag free, the teklon didnt !

i'd say give it a go, i'd not heard of it before a 9 days ago, but it came highly recommended, and i'm pretty impressed with it. can ya tell ???!!!:clap2:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have heard from a couple oF sources that it is a nice line to use - but abrasion resistance is poor over rough ground even in 50lb.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I often use another Grauvell line thats very good called Lazer-I think its been discontinued but a lot of places will still have stock.I get it for £3/spool and use it on clean ground but Im sure it would be up to rough ground in heavier breaking strains.Its a normal diameter line though.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
what did you dislike about it:unsure:
Seemed very fragile. A couple of casts and I had a crackoff.
After this happened again I found the line was abraded in a few places.
Think just rubbing the weed was enough to weaken it.
Went back to a standard 30lb line the next time on that mark and had no problems.
I have some 11 lb Teklon Gold on a large fixed spool that is used for mackerel fishing. No probs with that and with a leader and 4oz weight that line casts well.
Does not have to cope with abrasion though.

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
this line was developed for fishing in open water for sport fish where it will get next to no abrasion.

you will find that the slightest scratch on its surface will weaken it. it is made to be very parrallel so can go at anywhere along its length when snagged.

you will find that most will say that when trying to pull from a snag it snapped in the middle leaving them short on the reel where most other regular lines go at the leader knot.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
you might consider going "the other way" and instead of a 'thin' line in much higher b.s. than your regular , go for a 'thick' line (that is thick for the b.s. it is labelled at) like Stren Original and Berkley Big Game (not the Hi Test which is fairly thin) in a light-ish b.s. Those two are known for their abrasion resistance (which is partly down to them being thick).

If you do want "thin" and abrasion-resistant consider "Diamond" line or "Illusion" line from Rok-Max of Truro.
They are expensive but....I think.... good. However, check about the labelling; I'm pretty sure what is labelled as "30 lb" (and is around about the same diameter as regular 30lb lines) is more like 45lb

I've also heard ProFish "Ghost" line is very abrasion resistant. I've used it and it is not bad but a bit wiry (like the two above) and - I think gets a bit more stiff during use. I suspect you can't get away from wiriness when you need abrasion-resistance, except by using thick line

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Aye mate the blue Berkley big Game line is a good line for really heavy ground, as is the Daiwa Sensor mono. I think 'low diametre' and 'high abbrasion resistance' are two words which don't go in the same sentance.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok,cheers lads,heard good things about suffix tritanium so may choose this or one of your other choices:)

·
Registered
808 Posts
I tried the 40lb for heavy rock marks so that I could use a smaller reel ( 525 mag ) so that I could get more distance, I also figured it would catch the wind and tide less. I found it ok on some marks, deep water onto mixed ground etc but on fairly shallow boulder and kelp marks it is just not abrasion resistant enough, as previously mentioned. It is also very expensive for a line that needs to be changed regularly.

I have now switched to the orange penn super surf in the 35lb on my slosh 30 and it is superb, With a 60lb leader tied with a bimini twist it can snap out 40lb hooklengths no problem. It is way better than 30lb red ice which I used to use.

I am told that penn and suffix lines come from the same factory. They come on exactly the same spools but with different labels and they certainly have the same look and feel to them.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i've heard of some good reports on the line, many people are using 30lb teklon instead of normal mono.

if you need a thick line to rub on the rocks then try using 40lb teklon and a thick rubbing leader.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts