World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I had fun on the River Humber today for the Steering went T$Ts up and came apart enough to show how worn out the system I have on the new boat is .... I had to steer my boat by grabbin a hold of the 60hp 2 st and got us quickly away from the shipping lane,..

I was due to go on Hol to the MoG but circumstances dictated that it aint this time,... anyway the chances of the steering packing in as it did was quite a long chalk for it happened only 200 yards from shore close to where we live so imagine if it had happened all the way over at the MoG and it went wrong there....

I have been on the net and found some places where the above system is sold but it seems very expensive so I wondered if any of you knowledgable ones know where there is some good cheaper ones ,but not in inferior quality where I could buy one from,..... also if ordered from the States would there be alot of Import |Tax? .... Questions,Questions ,Questions....
KB.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I'd check the size/weight of it if you're going to bring one in from the USA. The cable box isn't going to be small.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Replaced my SafeT-Q with NFB last year, just the helm as my cables were under a year old. Got mine from Nautequipe about £80 if I remember rightly (that was for heavy duty up to 225hp so 60hp may be cheaper).
Just checked their site. Helm & bezel kit £113, complete kit with cables £174.

headlight

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI Nos,
I was going to take all that into account for is it even worth trying to get one from the States for Import Duty and like you said there could be some serious P and P......

A Place in the U.K. that sells the system cheaper is what I am looking for so if anyone has had a good deal on one of those systems I would appreciate knowing where bought from....

When I was out yesterday I did have me new 4 hp aux engine which worked fine but I like my aux engine to be steered from the cockpit where all my instruments are but instead it was hanging on to a tiller arm ... When I was steering the big engine I thought about the back to front compass that I posted about the other week on this site, for it was a time when it would have actually worked though with No lookout....... I got us in ok know what the depth was and where the channel is was a great help for to get back to the slip that we used in the Humber meant Navigating up a creek and around some boats....

Anyway again if any of you chaps have found a good deal with this system that I am after please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
KB.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced my SafeT-Q with NFB last year, just the helm as my cables were under a year old. Got mine from Nautequipe about £80 if I remember rightly (that was for heavy duty up to 225hp so 60hp may be cheaper).
Just checked their site. Helm & bezel kit £113, complete kit with cables £174.

headlight
Hi Headlight ,
That was the place that I was looking at but thought them expensive ,or am I just hoping that there is a cheaper place to buy those systems from.

While out on the Humber my crewmate took the back off the console and that,s when we found out that the whole lot was Bollxd and the casing had been bodged by packing a broken bit with some washers,... so an upgrade to a NFB sytem seems the logical way to go with the upgrade.... I am away soon so will have to order it and maybe get it fitted by me mate while I am away for away at the MoG as soon as I get back.....
KB.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Nautequipe were about the cheapest I could find at the time, don"t know if they still are ?
I suppose if your cables are ok you could save £60 by just replacing the helm.
Personally though unless I knew that the cables were fairly new (mine were under a year old) I"d bite the bullet & replace helm & cables. That way you know that you should have years of trouble free use out of them.
I am very pleased with the NFB system. Having a relatively light & short boat for my hp (115hp) I found the torque steer pulling the wheel tiresome to steer against on long runs to counteract it. No problems with that now:thumbs:

headlight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts