World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time has come to change the steering system on my boat.
I've had ten years use from my existing setup, so for safety's sake it is being changed. My engine is a 50hp so the existing system has been borderline, having a rating of up to 53hp.
I've been looking around and I fancy the Teleflex NFB kits and I was wondering if anyone has used them.
I've had great service from my Teleflex system so I don't want to change marque.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Time has come to change the steering system on my boat.
I've had ten years use from my existing setup, so for safety's sake it is being changed. My engine is a 50hp so the existing system has been borderline, having a rating of up to 53hp.
I've been looking around and I fancy the Teleflex NFB kits and I was wondering if anyone has used them.
I've had great service from my Teleflex system so I don't want to change marque.
Any opinions?
Hi.
I’ve recently installed the Teleflex NFB system on my Warrior 165.
I’m very pleased with it, and an excellent upgrade for not a lot of money really. Very solid, and the wheel stays locked when you are not actually steering. The boat will stay in a a straight line, even with wind and a heavy swell, which is often the case where I am in the Western Isles.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.
I’m very pleased with it, and an excellent upgrade for not a lot of money really. Very solid, and the wheel stays locked when you are not actually steering. The boat will stay in a a straight line, even with wind and a heavy swell, which is often the case where I am in the Western Isles.
Thanks for the reply.
Western Isles eh:)?
Just been talking about your neck of the woods on another thread......
I'm definitely going to order the NFB kit now. I routed all my control cables and power etc. through a wide flexible tube to the engine and if I take my hands off the wheel, the engine moves over to one side. It acts like a spring, so hopefully the NFB system will eliminate that.
(y)(y)

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
I would hazard a guess it’s the most common steering system on newish boats rated to take an engine below 100hp. I had it on my previous boat and would echo Mealista’s thoughts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Western Isles eh:)?
Just been talking about your neck of the woods on another thread......
I'm definitely going to order the NFB kit now. I routed all my control cables and power etc. through a wide flexible tube to the engine and if I take my hands off the wheel, the engine moves over to one side. It acts like a spring, so hopefully the NFB system will eliminate that.
(y)(y)
I think it will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi.
I've fitted nfb teleflex this year to my orkney fastliner with yamaha 50. So far impressed with it. Glad I've made the upgrade,even here in inner hebrides waters.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered everything today.
Several suppliers told me that they have not received any shipments from Teleflex for around two months and the 13 foot cable I need is in short supply.
I ended up having to buy the helm unit and the cable from two different chandlers.
More expensive this way but I need it within a few days as my caravan pitch is booked for early next week.
I can't wait to get back on the water.
Thanks for the replies....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also fitted an 200hp rated NFB system to replaced my aged 53hp Teleflex system after advice on here, my boat is a 16' Seahog with a 50hp etc and I will its definitely the best upgrade I have done to my boat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts