World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've just put the engine on connected the steering and it only turns the engine one way, we have to turn the wheel the full way round and the engine only turns at the last turn.
Looking under the wheel where the cable comes out there's a short piece above the main trunking and the worm is coming right out of that about 2ft, I'm thinking that the worm drive isn't meshing correctly, anyone know what's happening? Hoping to get the boat into the water this week.
Cheers Bill.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Sounds like a snapped cable to me
This, or you have started winding the cable onto the helm from the wrong point. I cant remember now it was ages ago, but it went something like this for a 6 turn lock to lock. Engine centred, steering wheel at 9 o clock, thread cable turn 3.25 turns before engine moves, steering wheel should be at 13 o clock. Get the model of your helm and look for the installation sheet. Sea Star are good with reference material

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Bruce, it came with the boat so I haven't been winding a new cable in.
Just striped the steering down,the cable seems to have come away from inside the rod.we wound it back and it was very stiff and the last three ft was rusted and full of crap so a new cable is required also when about to connect the engine we found the control cables about two ft short so I will need a set of them.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just been looking and a lot of these cables only go up to 55hp engine,my engine is 70hp would 15hp make much difference to the cable? also the old two strokes are much lighter than the four strokes of the same HP.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
the oxymoron is cable. After a year it will start seizing up and stretching. Go hydrualic and be done with it. You'll thank me and buy me beers if you follow this small advice.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
well the ones on my K-tabs seize every year. The same goes for the dink steering. And then there are the leg gear cables. When it's exposed directly to sea water they are rubbish in my experience and tighten up then stretch. On the other hand when inboard and never exposed to salt water they last for years.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Never did to have a steering cable snap, but to grease it and check each year with no problems either for in or outboard.
I do to have to replace the gear selector cable soon though as it is starting to stretch.

Bill. I did to mention months back i to have a spare metre of "hoover" hose and connector fot splashwell for outboard control cables. I to have now found this. If you do to want it, PM me your address and i will to send it if you to cover postage.
To be into the middle of a clear out now, so it will to either go to the tip or to someone who can use it.
Automotive tire Wood Tool Bumper Bicycle tire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts