World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Beef,,,,
The joint in any rod is always the weak spot,,,so the more joints the more potential for problems.
Saying that...telescopics have greatly improved over the past few years but will never match the smoothness of action of a 2 piece.
Hope this helps bud,,
Terry F.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Beefcake,

Short and sweet, leave them alone. They are O.K. for holidays etc. otherwise useless.

Sorry, but if you want the truth thats it.

If you are after a travelling rod then think about the Exage range from Shimano.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Beefcake,

Iposted a similar thread a while ago on this subject, and got a mixed response, however i did go and buy a telescopic 12 ft beachcaster and a 9ft spinning/float rod. Used it this weekend to see what it was like and ended up catching a 7lb conger on it

Woodster

·
Registered
57 Posts
Question is can you stand the looks of people with real rods and multipliers who think your'e occupying space that REAL anglers could be using ! Truth is most pier and boat angling could be done with a broom pole .Well that's practically all there was before the war (WW2).and they still caught fish (probably a few more about then though).

·
Registered
409 Posts
i use a telescopic beachcaster sometimes when i have to walk a fair distance (easier to carry) i find them pretty much the same as the regular beach caster, but thats just my opinion, hope it helps

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Professor,

I agree with you 100%, the fish don't know what you are useing. My first fishing rod was a bamboo cane with the twine that the net repairers use to use.

However generally speaking most telescopic rods are not as robust as conventional rods.

As I have already stated in another thread, I watched whilst a young lad brought a 55lb Conger aboard a charter boat with a Shimano Exage 12 - 20 4 piece travelling rod, coupled with an Abu 6500 Mag Elite.

But in a direct answer to Beefcakes question - NO.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
438 Posts
i tryd a telescopic did not like it at all got a shimano exage carp rod it is brill i have cast up to 4 onc with it it is well made avery good all rounder

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have three tele rod spinner fly and boat, can not fault them at all,
i travel all around the coasts, i need to travel light and have a rod i can depend on, never lost a fish or broke a rod,
a good fisherman should have one, even if only as a back up,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts