World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I just broke my Fladen extender 9&#39; on it&#39;s first session whilst retrieving the lure on the second cast, the tip section just snapped like a matchstick...

Can anyone recommend a good telescopic rod to keep in the car? One that will last more than 1 trip &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
<font color='#000000'>does it have to be telescopic? because with fishing rods the less sections they have, generally the better they are, but you may need a telescopic one for travel etc</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>The thing is, I have a small car so I figured a telescopic might be an idea, also I have a motorbike so a small rod would be most handy for those light tackle sessions.

Surely they should be able to cope with pulling a lure in the sea &nbsp;

Should I give this up as a bad idea?</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Well, I&#39;m not sure how small your car is, but we regularly transport anywhere up to four beachcasters and a few pier rods by standard taxi. Slides in nicely against the passenger/rear left seats.

As for telescopic rods. I&#39;ve seen a couple of the lighter ones snap when snagged. But that&#39;s about it...

</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>To be absolutely honest I would not bother with telescopic rods as everyone I have come acrsoss has design faults which fail. In my opinion they are a complete waste of time. Why dont you try the Shimano Exage range of rods that colapse in to many smaller sections and come with a quality stowage/protection case much more reliable and just as space saving.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>k- my other rods do fit in the car, but I want to leave a rod in there, which I couldn&#39;t do with 2 piece rods. Fishing fanatic is probably closest, I&#39;ll have to mail order as I&#39;ve never seen one in the shops in the Isle of Man - sometimes it&#39;s better to have a hold first but I guess I&#39;ll just have to hope for the best&#33;

Thanks</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (H0NDY @ July 05 2004,20:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a small rod would be most handy for those light tackle sessions[/b][/quote]

It&#39;s a bit late for new year resolutions  

I just can&#39;t fit the words &#39;Hondy&#39; and &#39;Fishing light&#39; into the same sentence without using the word &#39;never&#39;  

On a more serious note - a multi piece rod is probably the way to go - I know a guy who has a 3 or 4 piece spinning rod which packs away into a rucksack thus leaving both hands free to scramble down some pretty steep (even by my standards) cliffs.  As you say, trying before buying is impossible over here.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;ll have you know my last trip consisted of a rod and a silver stinger&#33;  
 I had too so I could keep my hands free to carry all my fresh mackerel&#33;  
</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font color='#000000'>well hondy the rod i have just bourght is a Falden 6 piece 12&#39; Travel rod.... it packs into a tube that you can stand on that is about 2&#39;8" long.....

i will let you know how i get on with it (and if this one breaks on it&#39;s first outing)

http://www.bestfishingtackle.co.uk/acatalog/Maximus_Travel_Rods.html

i got mine new from ebay for £53 inc shipping

if you like the look of it i will give you the sellers details

Clani</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font color='#000000'>Hehe I wait to see if yours lasts past day 1

I reckon you should be ok, mine was only £18 new so it doesn&#39;t exactly shout quality. Let us know how you get on with it
</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Well the rod did last past day one.... i was very happy with it.... one chap did comment just after i packed up that he could believe that it was a 6 piece having seen it bend

but i am yet to catch anything with it.... &nbsp;

thanks for your help with the advice topic</font>

B

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;m new to fishing personally (a 2 month newbie) and only write this to share an experience, &#39;not&#39; to give any advice. My Fladen rod only lasted ONE cast

I bought my Fladen 12&#39; telescopic 2 days ago specifically for my MTB trips where I would find it hard to take larger rigs. The reel seat jammed on its first cast and when I teased the reel backwards, the bottom support ring just broke out.. It just split&#33; I took it back to WAC and fortunately they immediately replaced it. The new one worked fine last night. Casting from the rock ridges on East Portland. But I caught naught.

For kayak spinning though, I&#39;ve been using (take that as a dozen trips) a cheap Zebco "Rhino E-xtra" Travel version, 2.70m, upto 65 gm cw, and its taken an aweful lot of beating --including helping the kayak off rocks in a sudden swell -- which seems to be great for now. This cost me (with its reel and line) about £25.

We can put our 12&#39; rods plus tripods and all gear quite easily into my GF&#39;s Peugeut 302 so IMHO fit shouldn&#39;t really be a problem. I only got the two travel rigs for MTB coast trips (12&#39;) and our kayak trips and picnics (9&#39;). Best regards

Izzy</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>A &#39;proper&#39; telescopic rod

Like most things, you get what you pay for. &nbsp;If you are planning using the telescopic rod frequently then why not push the boat (or kayak even ?) out.

I do like the sound of fishing from a kayak ... how stable is it though, cos I swim like a brick.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font color='#000000'>Well, as you know Mr Fisher, I used the credit from my fladen to buy a better quality carbon tele (with a bit of extra cash...) which works a treat - they didn&#39;t stock the travel rods.

I used to be a level 2 kayak coach, they are as stable as the people you put in them, we used to go surfing in them so unless the waves are crashing over you they are quite safe
- don&#39;t go out on your own though as if you capsize and fill up you can&#39;t empty it (unless you land), with a buddy you can via the x-rescue technique.

I&#39;n not sure what would happen if you caught a tope though &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Not sure how stable I am. &nbsp;Could possibly be described as &#39;unbalanced&#39;, esp during tope season when the weather/weed/tides/dogfish conspire against me.

Was thinking more of spinning for calig/mackerel.

I feel a kayak lesson coming on in payment of traces/lugworm/priceless advice &nbsp;
</font>

O

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi&#33;, greetings from the Basque country ( Athlantic area between South France and North Spain -great place for fishing  
- ).

I use a Greys Missionary Spin rod for Bass fishing (whenever I need a good travel-rod). The one I own is a 10&#39; /15-45g, comes in four sections and has a carry case you can sit on top without worrying about the rod inside. The case is perfect for biking to your favorite fishing spot  
. Casts and fights great.

It&#39;s a little expensive, but has an unlimited lifetime guarantee, just in case you bring 5 sections back home after a really hard fishing session  

One friend of mine caught one 22 pound + tuna with the 9&#39; 30-100gr version of this same rod.

Jon.</font>

O

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Sorry, I forgot to say that I use this rod when spinning for bass in rocky areas.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font color='#000000'>otsoa - 22lb Tuna that certainly beats my Fladen and 28g stinger

I&#39;ll gladly take you out Kayaking Manx Fisher - it&#39;s just getting hold of the equipment and getting it to location that&#39;s the problem
</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Yippee, when (and where) are we going

Stop focusing on problems and find the solution

I thought with you being an instructor and everything that you would have all the equipment. &nbsp;

PS, don&#39;t let me drown, in fact, don&#39;t even let me get wet &#33;</font>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts