World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a Alpha Tackle S866ML 8'6" telescopic rod for taking with me when i backpack or wild camp, if inland lure fishing for Trout and on the coast for Mackerel or hopefully for a Bass. Has anyone any views whether to go for it or stay well clear and get a two piece rod. Budget around £100for the rod.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have been trying out this 8 footer for trout. It is a PROX micro salt SE from amazon japan.
the ‘SE’ model is the newer one with an longer extension handle. Packs down to about 40cm which is pretty neat. I do like my tele’s as i can have them ready rigged ( using a hook keeper ring ) as per the photo. You can be ready to fish within a minute or so when you reach your venue. Pretty pleased with it so far.
i also have the alpha tackle you mention, not tried it out yet. Has Fuji rings as the one above but not as high a spec ( pretty functional though all the same. Packs down to around 50cm.
this chap on YouTube uses the alpha tackle to great effect.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have used a Ron Thompson travel spin as a “keep in the car and abroad rod” for years.
Can’t fault it for the money, I’m sure the more modern ones will not disappoint.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think as a country we generally see the budget end of telescopic rods. If you checkout pecheur.com you will see a large range and some are not cheap. I did buy an alcedo 8'6. Have never used it but looks a lot better quality than most UK stocked rods I've seen. I got mine from go outdoors.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have progressed from telescopic rods to multi section travel spin rods. Far superior imho. Just as compact, quick and easy to use but far stronger and a cleaner curve under load. I keep one of these ready rigged in the vehicle with a small selection of lures, it all fits in a 10l rolltop waterproof bag and is ideal for snatched, impromptu sessions.
M

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have progressed from telescopic rods to multi section travel spin rods. Far superior imho. Just as compact, quick and easy to use but far stronger and a cleaner curve under load. I keep one of these ready rigged in the vehicle with a small selection of lures, it all fits in a 10l rolltop waterproof bag and is ideal for snatched, impromptu sessions.
M
Cheers Mulligan, i'll check it out.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i have some shimano diaflash ( 3 pieces) : veeery good stuf !
you can still find them on ebay ( from germany , about 120 euro )

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think it's important to understand the benefits of both compact rod solutions. If you want a rod that behaves like a normal fishing rod but fits in a ruck sack then a travel rod is definitely the way to go. If you want a rod that is rigged and ready to go with in seconds and can be also be stored in a ruck sack then maybe a telescopic is the way to go.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've been using JDM telescopic daiwa Wise Stream 60 TUL... aweome rod. For pike/perch/trout (1-8g lure, but I had 14lb pike on it and 5lb trout).. It has Fuji Titanium rings. Probably best spec tele rod out there.
I've got many top end 2 piece rods , but this one gets 80% of use.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have tried several 4, 5 and 6 piece rods for travel fishing all were good but ended up settling on a Daiwa Mobile Pack 9ft 7 to 35g, I found a good deal on ebay a year or 18 months ago. Has a very short handle so not for everyone but suits my needs well as is small and quick to set up, so much so it have replaced by HTO Nebular travel rod i snapped (my fault it snapped). I went for the telescopic as it can be set up ready with the line prethreaded through the rings. don't know why i think that's important but it works for me.

Reactions: Gar-Goyle

·
Registered
817 Posts
The daiwa mobile pack are good rods, i have the 8.5 footer which i think is 7 to 28g.
like you says having it ready made up works for me as well. Just used to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts