World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is it wise to go for Telescopic rods over standard put together rods?
Just wondered, as looking to get a new beach rod
Matt

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
No no and thrice no horrible things. You should be able to pick up everthing you need for under £100 have a look in the sea fishing magazines at the adverts and especially check out the combo deals - Penn do some good ones.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Monkeyhead

I have 2 Beachcaster rods and 2 telescopic rods, the 2 b/cster rods are in Somerset where i do most of fishing (I live in Hampshire) my 2 telescopic rods (12ft b/caster and a 9ft float/spinning rod) are in hants they are so ideal for when her in doors suggests a day at the beach.

Woodster

PS. Did catch a 7lb conger on the 12 telescopic down in Somerset ?????

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I have all types of beach, rock, spinning, bass, boat rods both in tele and standard. Teles can be great depending on what you need them for! All my air holiday rods are tele so they go in the suitcase( I lie just got a 6 piece beach rod for holidays!) Teles go in a rucksack for rock fishing trips, better if you go by bike or have a small car where beachcasters dont fit! They split down the middle if you get grit in them and open them quickly!! You can leave them fully rigged yet close them up for moving to new marks! The 7 to 11 ft 20 - 50 gr teles are great for spinning and lure fishing and for fishing inthe Med!

2 or 3 piece rods tend to be tougher and theres far more choice! You would have to have a special reason I to want a tele! My tele beachcasters are all "soft" rods with little real progression in the bend but did land a 12lb bass and regularly 6 mackies at a time!

The rings tend to be a weakness on them. Hope my rambling on helps!

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Shimano Speedmaster 120 and 150 telescopics got a good review by Alan Yates in the July issue of Sea Angler, proving that not all such rods are weak, floppy pieces of crap. I'd agree with Pedro though that unless you have a specific reason for wanting a telescopic you'd be better off with a good 3-4 section rod, especially if you want a general purpose rod. Telescopics are usually only suited to the lighter side of beach fishing.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
242 Posts
if its an out and out fishing rod you are after then don't touch the Telescopic rods if your are after a rod to put in the suit case for hoildays or keep in the back of the car for those spure of the moments trips then a telescopic rod is just the thing. I have a 13ft telescopic beachcaster in the car for these spure of the moment trips its ok for these trips but i would never replace my 2 piece rod with this telescopic rod IMHO
matt:)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
tele rods are only good for the odd bit of light fishing the multiple connections make them weaker than a two piece
they are ok for carrying about as an extra but if you believe claims about chucking 6oz leads out and hauling fish up a pier wall or in over weed beds
you,l be unpleasantly suprised when first two sections twist in oposite directions from the next two and so on
if possible go for a two piece unless its for a secound rod to float spin
or ledger with for smaller species
rule of thumb more sections = more weak spots

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't think it's possible to say tele are no good. They vary just like put together rods. One fact about them is that the joints must be kept clean. True of put together rods too but the joints can be got at. They are hidden in the sections on a telescopic rod.
I've bought several over the years. Worst have been from shakespeare. All broke casting well within their weight range.
Fladen maximus beach is a huge long rod with a decidedly un fladen action. It's fairly stiff.
I have a couple of silstar 40 to 80 grm rods that were sold for carp fishing. I bought them to try and get my son fishing. No other reason than convenience. They are better than many carp rods and capable of easily dragging a 15lb grass carp out and a 22lb common too. Have also had dabs, flounder and pollock on them. Siltar aren't about in the uk now but something simular would make a good heavier spinning and sea float rod.

My advice if anybody wants one is to buy it in a propa shop and load it. It should be hard for most people to break a 40 to 80 grm spinning rod with one arm. Rods like that should have something like a 2 1/2 lb test curve. Or pick a reputable make for mail order - not shakespeare in experience. Seem to remember Phil having positive feelings about tele's from leeda.

They are handy because tackle can be just left on them. I don't knock them. They can be handy things to have around. I think the major problem is that they are often far too cheap although the silstar rods I mentioned were 1/3 of the price of a simular carp rod and had some real back bone.

John

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I had a tele beach rod managed to snap it just above reel seat without trying with 4oz on it so i would not go down that road again now have shakespear salt travel beach nice rod works far better than i expected it to infact my 2piece beach rods havent been out since i bought it
i wont knock all tele rods though as i keep a cormoron tele pike rod in the car for a bit of lure work if i get a unplanned chance however if i'm planning a lure trip i take a proper lure rod or my 8ft 6lb class boat rod
i spose it's horses for courses realy
hope this helps dai

1 - 10 of 10 Posts