World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me anything about the abu6500 GR it is the c.t. model,what kind of ground is it good for fishing over eg. :) :) also what does ct actually mean. THANKS.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Wayne, I have had a 6500 GR for years, only ever used it for Salmon fishing. It wasnt until earlier this year that I came across it again, I now use it for quite a bit of shore fishing...mainly sandy beaches, for rocky ground I use me old Intrepid Seastreaks.

As far as CT goes...aint got a clue, give the reel doctor a bell he will tell you all you need to know.

hope this helps

John

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the 6500gr is a great reel for normal shore fishing,casts well and is quite good at resisting corosion with the graphite side plates-ive had mine years and it still does the buisness.

as for "ct" im not sure anyone really knows.on the sea angler mastercast video neil mackellow suggests either "cages tournament" or conversion tournament".it could also be that on abu reels the suffix "c" denotes a reel running on bearings and the "t" could stand for tournament,as it was tournament casters who started the fashion for removing level winds-but your guess is as good as mine really

sean

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
yeah mate thats right

a 6500ct is a 6500 size reel with no level wind but with the spool running on bearings

a 6500c is the same reel but with a level wind fitted

hope this helps clarify things a bit

sean

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Guys,

The 6500 GR was not available in a CT version so one of two things has been done.

1 the reel has been fitted with a ct cage/frame. (best option)

2 it has been converted by removing the LW and top bar and had a stronger bar added. (ok if done right)

It was also i think the first 6000 style reel to have mags in, the only other Abu's of that era to have mags were the ultra mag 2's and 3's that are much sort after buy the tournament boys.

Regards Ryan. :D

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The original post is nearly 15 years old and the guy asking the questions hasn't been on the site for about 10 years but yeah I've had a 6500 gr gold cage converted to ct lovely little casting reel in it's day still got it
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts