World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught one of these at the weekend while pushing well offshore.

I believe it to be a Red Band-Fish - anyone else caught one? Are they rare?

Ryan

G

·
Yes it is a Red Band Fish. Have a look here.
British record is:
Red Band-Fish (Cepola Rubescens)
6oz-06dr 180g Off Paignton, Devon K Bradbury 1975

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt even weigh it - I called the Exploris aquarium who were interested in it - so I did my best to keep it alive and brought it to them, it was still alive when I handed it over to them so I am waiting on word if it survived or not.

Ryan

G

·
I didnt even weigh it - I called the Exploris aquarium who were interested in it - so I did my best to keep it alive and brought it to them, it was still alive when I handed it over to them so I am waiting on word if it survived or not.

Ryan
You may have yourself a British Record there Ryan and you didn't even have to kill it!!!
Nice one mate.

Record or not (I guess 4 oz) it's an amazing one to add to your catch list and I doubt if you'll ever see another.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caught it on a set of shrimps with mack and a tiny tip of rag. It was a proper lip hook.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I caught one just outside Portland harbour a couple of years ago on a baited shrimp rig. It was during a species hunt so was worth mega points.

I am told that immature fish and eggs came to the UK inside barnacles on the hulls of american warships that put into Portland. The fish either got themselves out or were washed off the hulls when they were cleaned. Whether that is right or not I do not know.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
I caught one just outside Portland harbour a couple of years ago on a baited shrimp rig. It was during a species hunt so was worth mega points.
Yup that's a well known "hotspot" for them :)

I am told that immature fish and eggs came to the UK inside barnacles on the hulls of american warships that put into Portland. The fish either got themselves out or were washed off the hulls when they were cleaned. Whether that is right or not I do not know.
Not quite true, they are a native species around the whole of the UK, see http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=56&genusname=Cepola&speciesname=macrophthalma

1 - 11 of 11 Posts