World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all really fancy one of these I mainly fish from the shore and accasionally from a river .i generally use floating plugs such as patchinko and the like and hart pencils from the shore and soft plastics for the river any help would be appreciated.
Atb
Greg

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had one mate but sold it as like rump says its a bit stiff, final straw was when I blanked and me mate got 6 on SPs, I blamed the rod and got a Yamaga early instead which I really like.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had one mate but sold it as like rump says its a bit stiff, final straw was when I blanked and me mate got 6 on SPs, I blamed the rod and got a Yamaga early instead which I really like.
As others have said a bit stiff for what you want, they are way overpriced anyway. Have a look at the yamaga ballisticks much better rods for similar money. I think apia are releasing a new foojin r model soon as well which looks the dogs.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Art of fishing for yamaga. They do UK warranty. Had an early was good for a mix of hard lures and soft lures.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Too much rod for softies in a river I'd say...
Agreed.

Not just down to the rod but a rod that transmits little feel won't help at all. It's like a chicken and egg thing. Use the right tools and learn to fish soft lure techniques and with time, you can almost get anything to work. But, no, outside of big sidewinders or bait fishing bass or BIG needles and swimmer upto 3oz in strong head winds, the RB270 and the SM270 (slightly better at soft lure work) are best left in the shop, or at home.

Hi all really fancy one of these I mainly fish from the shore and accasionally from a river .i generally use floating plugs such as patchinko and the like and hart pencils from the shore and soft plastics for the river any help would be appreciated.
Atb
Greg
Trouble with rods like this is they will cast a big topwater miles but, they are too long IMHO for extended topwater work unless you are perched 'above' the waterline. Then, yes, you might have great line pickup at range to hook the fish but once inside at lesser distances, the rod is way too stiff and even in calm water, I've seen loads of guys with rods like this lose fish and blame the lure, the hooks, anything but themselves and the rod. Rods are supposed to BEND under the pressure of the fish WE catch.

In their time, the Red Tenryu's were great and nothing was available like that. They were expensive when they first hit our shores. I know, I had 4 of them. However, as will all things, popular hype doubled the price overnight and within a year of some of us importing proper 'seabass rods' from Japan with very different actions, yet designed for fish in a weight range we are more likely to catch, the red tenryu's look VERY ordinary, VERY STIFF, VERY OVER-RATED and WAY, WAY OVERPRICED.

Note, my use of the term 'Red Tenryu' is on purpose. You likely won't find may Japanese using the red models and yet, the JDM Tenyru's are lovely rods.

Basically, shop around. There are far better rods out there from a vast range of manufacturers and I for one, would look at direct importation simply because in most cases, you be able to buy a rod, new reel, spare spools, line, 25 lures and all sorts of gear for the SAME price as Japanese rods being sold in the UK.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Tis a "heavy" & stiff rod but its a real workhorse & can take some abuse - can be ideal in some situations, but for softs in a estuary or long sessions I would chose another rod - saying that I have used them for years on long sessions with softs and they served me very well, but after getting a custom rod I would never look back (I own 2 BAR 270s 2 Supermix 240s and a Injection - I love the injection!) .

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Gregsie - its not the rod mate :roll1:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
HPR for me does it all love the 7'7 top waters and softs ,I fish it from shore boat kayak for wrasse pollock on the ofshore reefs bass and pike even use it for bait fishing off the side of the boat in the tamar with a 60z lead awesome rod

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help I've just ordered a yamaga early 9.2 direct from japan can't wait to have a play with it.
Atvb
Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts