Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title should say give em away!

I know it's out of season but I've but I've noticed lots of red rods knocking around and not selling....Rod bars going for 160, even cheaper and some shops been selling off stock well cheap.

If you like these rods there are some bargains to be had, but certainly looks like the tenryu bubble had burst now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
They were never worth the money, there are just better rods out there for far less money!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Perhaps they will go back down to reasonable prices now then. They shot up in price a few years ago when the angling press and a few internet bloggers got hold of them. Good marketing and plenty of hype meant they could charge pretty much what they wanted. The hypes no longer there now japanese rods are everywhere (they even make some themselves, just not in red and better built). The red ones are decent rods by all accounts (build quality can be iffy though) but nothing spectacular, other manufacturers are making better rods at half the asking price these days.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,459 Posts
Guys I don't want this to turn into another Tenryu red rod Jersey tackle dealer thread.

All that is well and truly in the past now and we have all moved onwards and upwards.

There are lots of rods out there most these days are pretty good and some are excellent and we have just so many to choose from.

Nick.

G

·
I actually don't think any bubble has burst at all. As you've said the rods hanging around are mostly Rod Bars and non evo at that, the rod bar is a hard lure rod and with most lure anglers these days using a mixture of lures, I think its just that model that is less desirable.
You still see Super mixes selling well, RLSD's, Injections etc. The only exceptions are when people try to sell them at a price that is a little too high.

I do agree that we have a good deal of nice rods at very nice prices these days, but I am not sure I'd want to take my Apia out for striped Bass for instance, yet there are folk who use their red rods for this and apparently they cope admirably. I've heard of people landing shark on Supermixes and I think thats the thing with them, the blanks are tough and reliable. If you're fishing new ground and you are unsure about how rough it is, you'd possibly want a rod thats a little on the over-gunned side as opposed to under-gunned, yet still having the versatility of lure choice, both in terms of weight and size.

I'd quite like this Seducer thing thats coming out, but it will be selling at a price I could not justify.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno Lee, go through the current for sale sections on other sites and you'll see a few unsold injections including one that's been for sale since September.

This is not a rod bashing thread, my point is that 18 mths ago you could put up a red rod for top dollar and they would go pretty much straight away (I know I sold a few), but now that's all changed. Reflective of the maturing market and greater choice we have now I think.

G

·
I dunno Lee, go through the current for sale sections on other sites and you'll see a few unsold injections including one that's been for sale since September.

This is not a rod bashing thread, my point is that 18 mths ago you could put up a red rod for top dollar and they would go pretty much straight away (I know I sold a few), but now that's all changed. Reflective of the maturing market and greater choice we have now I think.
I could be wrong Mike, I think I remember being worn once before ;)

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've heard of people landing shark on Supermixes and I think thats the thing with them, the blanks are tough and reliable.
Sharks can be landed on most spinning rods check out this one on a £50 okuma rod.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=WL&v=MPvxzLfZA98
I wouldn't want to use a rod I didn't mind breaking though could be a very expensive trip if it decides to dash under the boat at the last minute taking half your £400 rod with it. Correctly set drags are as ever the key, I'm happy using a 10-30g rod wrecking when the tides not too strong and I don't need tonnes of weight down there.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You'll have to prize my 2 red rods out of my cold, dead hands! Admittedly I got both 2nd hand so I didn't pay full price but they suit my purposes perfectly.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,611 Posts
At the time they come out they were stiff ...

people were givin them to test (big bass names at the time ), and shout from the roof tops about them .

Hard to knock something when been given it , hence i dont do all offers i get offered , if its [email protected] ,its [email protected] . Simple as that

To many people sit on the fence with tackle , rods mainly .....Certain people would gain HUGE respect if they said what they really thought bout something , instead of buttering

it up cause there mate sells it ..........FISH DORSET , has made me some right duffers ,rods i hated , told him so and together we work harder to get them right ...

Be pointless to say a rods great , or even good when its a bag of flumps ...........

Red rods ALWAYS been to stiff and to fast , and the ones that are not , are BOAT JIGGING RODS , strong , and tippy ,

Not really made for shore work , been adapted imho ...

No way were they ever worth 400 odd ....

People forget , they were found in a garden center in France , LMFAO ,,, for just over 100 English pounds ,

Then enough of a flock was found , and pushed the price 4 fold in under two years , lmfao ,,,,, spined wrong , (mass made by machines you get this )

eyes wrapped by blind chickens (at best ) joints close , fly eyes to close to the blank , etc etc etc .

Even 2nd hand market is to high for new ones imho .... (your title said cant give um away , thats fair price , lmfao )

People soon learnt , you get what you pay for , couple sat in our local shop , not even been looked at ,,, im sure there rot in bargin bin soon enough ...

Please tell me a red model as good as the major craft zaltz .............

Then tell me one that could go head to head with the sky road ,,,,, both less than HALF the price , both over twice the rod imho ......

The fact you could buy both these rods and have about 90 quid change from a new red one , makes me laugh ,,,,, A LOT .....

Only people that cry about it , is blokes that own them , and who can blame them , nobody wants to feel they got duped ..... human nature ...

Wait till captain Scarlet comes on with his array of red uns ,,, i here one bloke has like a dozen ( now thats a bit being scared , of not being in the IN crowd to me lmfao , dont panic mate , i think your in lol )

All this talk of close range work for bass , and they spook easy , bla bla , and people turn up with a BRIGHT RED ROD , waving it about ...

It was made bright red for a reason , so its easy to count from miles away , how many sheep on a mark .....

Football boots , should be black , when a prat turns up with white and pink ones , or orange and green he deserves to be booted in the air ......

Red uns , deserve , bargain bin ........................or a boat .....

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
All this talk of close range work for bass , and they spook easy , bla bla , and people turn up with a BRIGHT RED ROD , waving it about ...

It was made bright red for a reason , so its easy to count from miles away , how many sheep on a mark .....
I can laugh about that, and the football boots, but in the back of my mind I know Nick, Myfish and I, amongst others, are up for a kicking next!
At least we can say out rods are the colour of the water and sky!

·
61,459 Posts
At the time they come out they were stiff ...

people were givin them to test (big bass names at the time ), and shout from the roof tops about them .

Hard to knock something when been given it , hence i dont do all offers i get offered , if its [email protected] ,its [email protected] . Simple as that

To many people sit on the fence with tackle , rods mainly .....Certain people would gain HUGE respect if they said what they really thought bout something , instead of buttering

it up cause there mate sells it ..........FISH DORSET , has made me some right duffers ,rods i hated , told him so and together we work harder to get them right ...

Be pointless to say a rods great , or even good when its a bag of flumps ...........

Red rods ALWAYS been to stiff and to fast , and the ones that are not , are BOAT JIGGING RODS , strong , and tippy ,

Not really made for shore work , been adapted imho ...

No way were they ever worth 400 odd ....

People forget , they were found in a garden center in France , LMFAO ,,, for just over 100 English pounds ,

Then enough of a flock was found , and pushed the price 4 fold in under two years , lmfao ,,,,, spined wrong , (mass made by machines you get this )

eyes wrapped by blind chickens (at best ) joints close , fly eyes to close to the blank , etc etc etc .

Even 2nd hand market is to high for new ones imho .... (your title said cant give um away , thats fair price , lmfao )

People soon learnt , you get what you pay for , couple sat in our local shop , not even been looked at ,,, im sure there rot in bargin bin soon enough ...

Please tell me a red model as good as the major craft zaltz .............

Then tell me one that could go head to head with the sky road ,,,,, both less than HALF the price , both over twice the rod imho ......

The fact you could buy both these rods and have about 90 quid change from a new red one , makes me laugh ,,,,, A LOT .....

Only people that cry about it , is blokes that own them , and who can blame them , nobody wants to feel they got duped ..... human nature ...

Wait till captain Scarlet comes on with his array of red uns ,,, i here one bloke has like a dozen ( now thats a bit being scared , of not being in the IN crowd to me lmfao , dont panic mate , i think your in lol )

Football boots , should be black , when a prat turns up with white and pink ones , or orange and green he deserves to be booted in the air ......

Red uns , deserve , bargain bin ........................or a boat .....
Just spat my coffee down my shirt reading that :roll1:

Would have to say though RB270 is a cracking high end ish tool...........great hardbait blank and so is RLSD.

Reactions: mark333

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have very mixed feelings about the red rod issue.

In the beginning, at the original prices, they WERE already expensive. They were/are stiff.
Most yes, were designed for boat/RIB work. That may have changed in recent years but knowing how the French fish, unlikely.

In fact, I have fished a HUGE section of Brittany, many times and, have yet to meet a French shore angler carry one.

They WERE, ahead of the game in 2008.

By 2010, they were NOT.

In my opinion, and that of many others, it wasn't about the rod, more about 'belonging' to a club.
I have read so many accounts of lost fish by people fishing these rods and yet, I hate agreeing with 666, but, the rods are TOO STIFF and hence, loads of people bump fish.

This also reflects why many are so resistant to barbless hooks.

As for the Zaltz. Lets not forget, Kev and I had Zaltz's in 2009. At least 18 months before any were stocked in the UK.
That true Japanese action, was an inspiration and we didn't just have the one Japanese actioned rod, but over the next 12 months, many others.

That action inspired the HPR and later, the Vectura.

Of course, many suggested they were too soft.

Maybe they were, by comparison to the red bean poles.

I also remember, the red rods almost doubling in price. They blamed it on the Euro/Sterling thing, yet I know, that is NOT the whole story.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Most yes, were designed for boat/RIB work. That may have changed in recent years but knowing how the French fish, unlikely.
Makes sense, I know quite a few who use them jigging for bass with dexters or fishing large shads in current, although I have found moving to more progressive japanese rods is actually preferable as it eliminates a lot of the lost fish by cushioning the head banging much better, when we first started I used a bulldog which I think was a bit too stiff as a lot of fish where banging off near the boat

·
Registered
567 Posts
This Red rod bashing just gets so boring, I can't believe people are still going on about them. They are a bit like Marmite, you either like them or you don't, no big deal really.

If like you say there are so much better rods out there at less than half the price, go and buy them and let others buy what they like, something, anything, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, personally I would not touch a major craft rod with a barge pole as I think they are over priced for what you get, but plenty of you like them, each to their own, it does not mean I have to go round slagging them off.

I am happy with the Tenryu's I have, I am happy with what I paid for them, I don't drink, don't smoke, drive a modest new car that I change every 6 months so why not spend what I like on fishing tackle.

Like Bill Portland, you will have to prise my Red rods from my cold dead hands.

As for why certain Red rods are not selling, there must be a reason for it, maybe they are old models or people are waiting for newer ones to get over here I don't know, I am always on the look out for new gear and have not seen anything to interest me being sold off cheap so far.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Bag o flumps priceless.
If there not selling now it for the same reason they were so popular in the first place fashion nothing to do with performance.

·
61,459 Posts
This is now going to be closed.

The subject of these rods and how they are marketed and sold tends to cause very heated debate and it always ends up going south.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.