World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m planning to head to MOG this month for a day’s fishing. Thinking of starting with targeting wrasse, pollack and maybe bull huss if lucky during the day, from West Tarbet area. Thought about flat rock but not sure exactly what bit to go down to that (maybe another time).

Then for dusk and into a couple of hours of darkness Im thinking of going to Terally Bay area for first time shot at bass. Most of what I’ve read on the forum suggests guys are using lures on the beaches there. I’m not really kitted up for this and wondered if I am fine throwing out baits with my beachcaster for bass? I will have a spinning rod with me but I don’t have waders so no idea if I could cast a lure far enough to get into where the fish might be. I also read one report saying Terally was a low water mark but another said it’s a high water mark?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I've had bass from Terally at various tide levels over the past few years.
I use a 28grm like THESE with a small sandeel lure as a "teaser" about a foot above the jig.
This casts a very long way with my long rod and braid and also catches mackerel, grey gurnard! and large launce.
The most popular bait for bass over all the sandy areas is lugworm and after dusk is the best time, although the ubiquitous doggie will also be in the competition to find it.
They usually win:frown:.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey Lavraki, I usually fish heavier lures due to wind, but then again I seldom catch anything! How do you stop your teaser ring getting tangled as it heads out? I find that even an extra swivel above a lure can get tangled up (using mono).

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Hey Lavraki, I usually fish heavier lures due to wind, but then again I seldom catch anything! How do you stop your teaser ring getting tangled as it heads out? I find that even an extra swivel above a lure can get tangled up (using mono).
My dropper is tied fly-style using a blood knot. I sometimes dab it with superglue or pass both long and short ends through a small crimp after cutting the loop to make it less likely to slip. The dropper is only about four inches long and never tangles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, might give lug a try then. Could try a lure on the spinning rod while the baits are out just in case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally, I've had the most success for bass at Terally when low tide is close to sunrise in fairly calm conditions. There's a line of weed that they tend to patrol behind, along with the boulders further out. They tend to be on the smaller side, especially on topwater lures. The bigger ones I've tempted have been on soft plastics, pretty much right at your feet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts