World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi fellow anglers last weekend i drove down to the thames estuary in search of some bass during daylight, was armed with mackerel, ragworm, lugworm, peelers and sandeels, after 5 minutes i had my first bite, a schoolie bass, the little bugger still had his nappies on so it was quickly returned, had a few more schoolies throughtout all on rag and lug, they didn't touch the peelers, mackerel nor sandeels. I know they go crazy on peelers now and then, but what about mackerel and sandeels? They didn't take it on the day but generally are they good baits?

also the guy at the bait shop was trying to flog me some blowlug:blink: this might sound stupid but never heard of it, he was saying they're good for bass, was he having me on?:g:

Apart from the usuals -> peeler, rag and lug, what other baits you guys use for bass?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
bass ar swimming dustbins! wotever food is about naturaly
they will have ther heads down on!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
all my biggest bass come on lug baits big scents of 5-8 lug wil draw bass to the bait if there not hitting the lug try crab and vise a versa i no people who swear by crab but i always find the big bass come to big lug baits or a mckeral flapper

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response guys

i had no luck with peeler only with rag and blacklug, would they go for blowlug? what about squid?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's a nice looking bass you got the on your avatar essexbuoy:clap3:

looks like i'm just gonna have to experiment throughout the summer months on different baits, i've heard of night fishing for bass but never tried it, do i have a better change of a bigger bass during the night? I've also heard of bass being caught on mackerel feathers is this method any good?

Should i be targeting the shore or piers?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

looks like i'm just gonna have to experiment throughout the summer months on different baits, i've heard of night fishing for bass but never tried it, do i have a better change of a bigger bass during the night? I've also heard of bass being caught on mackerel feathers is this method any good?

Dont target bass with makeral feathers! you can catch a good bass bait with them though mate, a few big bass get cought on a live baited makeral!
spinning for bass can be a very good method for cacthing bass, dexter wedges, plugs, and surface poppers all catch bass

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
if u really want to catch a big bass u wont to get on a deep water venue and live bait ither sandill, small joey mackeral or pout its a waiting game but if u have time and patience it will pay off

·
Registered
299 Posts

Whoops, try again

·
Registered
299 Posts

Slayer is spot on, mackeral feathers for livebait, lip hook it with a 5/0 J hook or circle hook, a decent pier springs to mind in Kent :)

Was a nice fish eh, distant memory now, need to get another this year :blink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive had most of my Medway and Thames Bass on Peeler.The biggest ones I always catch using livebait pouting.However the biggest bass my mate had out of the Thames weighed 9lb and that was caught on lugworm.My biggest estuary Bass was 7.5 lb and that was caught in the Medway a number of years ago on king ragworm.I dont do as much Bass fishing in the Medway nowadays and I tend to keep an eye out and see where the mackerel are at.Locate the Mackerel and youve got the Bass.Large Bass predate on these.Other places worth trying are areas that are popular with anglers.Bass in these areas scavenge on discarded baits.i should really invest more time fishing the Medway for Bass as its right on my doorstep.A friend of mine has had a lot of luck fishing eel sections in the estuary for Bass, but basically Bass will take most things.Some of my mates have even had them on Bread when theyve been Mulleting.Last year i had a 5lb Mullet on Mackerel head and guts...so there you go...thats fishing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can try using Squid on a pennel rig, but rip out the innards of the main body tube and stuff it with a few lug, and then use a baiting needle or something to puncture some holes to let the juice out - dont know if its a common thing but has worked for me in the past :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys

i'm new to bass fishing so much appreciated for your responses

happy fishing for all :fish:

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
I find if you fish the Essex side of the Thames the crab bait is better than anything else from Shoeburyness to Currys Point at Stanford. From Currys Point to Grays worm bait is better. I have had all my biggest bass on either single lug or circles of squid on a size 2 hook.
I also find that some areas of the Thames are holding areas for bass as bass can be territorial.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts