World Sea Fishing Forums banner

tested bass baits

1K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  carl matthams 
#1 ·
hi fellow anglers last weekend i drove down to the thames estuary in search of some bass during daylight, was armed with mackerel, ragworm, lugworm, peelers and sandeels, after 5 minutes i had my first bite, a schoolie bass, the little bugger still had his nappies on so it was quickly returned, had a few more schoolies throughtout all on rag and lug, they didn't touch the peelers, mackerel nor sandeels. I know they go crazy on peelers now and then, but what about mackerel and sandeels? They didn't take it on the day but generally are they good baits?

also the guy at the bait shop was trying to flog me some blowlug:blink: this might sound stupid but never heard of it, he was saying they're good for bass, was he having me on?:g:

Apart from the usuals -> peeler, rag and lug, what other baits you guys use for bass?

#7 ·
that's a nice looking bass you got the on your avatar essexbuoy:clap3:

looks like i'm just gonna have to experiment throughout the summer months on different baits, i've heard of night fishing for bass but never tried it, do i have a better change of a bigger bass during the night? I've also heard of bass being caught on mackerel feathers is this method any good?

Should i be targeting the shore or piers?

#8 ·

looks like i'm just gonna have to experiment throughout the summer months on different baits, i've heard of night fishing for bass but never tried it, do i have a better change of a bigger bass during the night? I've also heard of bass being caught on mackerel feathers is this method any good?

Dont target bass with makeral feathers! you can catch a good bass bait with them though mate, a few big bass get cought on a live baited makeral!
spinning for bass can be a very good method for cacthing bass, dexter wedges, plugs, and surface poppers all catch bass

#10 ·

Whoops, try again

#11 ·

Slayer is spot on, mackeral feathers for livebait, lip hook it with a 5/0 J hook or circle hook, a decent pier springs to mind in Kent :)

Was a nice fish eh, distant memory now, need to get another this year :blink:

#13 ·
Ive had most of my Medway and Thames Bass on Peeler.The biggest ones I always catch using livebait pouting.However the biggest bass my mate had out of the Thames weighed 9lb and that was caught on lugworm.My biggest estuary Bass was 7.5 lb and that was caught in the Medway a number of years ago on king ragworm.I dont do as much Bass fishing in the Medway nowadays and I tend to keep an eye out and see where the mackerel are at.Locate the Mackerel and youve got the Bass.Large Bass predate on these.Other places worth trying are areas that are popular with anglers.Bass in these areas scavenge on discarded baits.i should really invest more time fishing the Medway for Bass as its right on my doorstep.A friend of mine has had a lot of luck fishing eel sections in the estuary for Bass, but basically Bass will take most things.Some of my mates have even had them on Bread when theyve been Mulleting.Last year i had a 5lb Mullet on Mackerel head and guts...so there you go...thats fishing

#20 ·
I find if you fish the Essex side of the Thames the crab bait is better than anything else from Shoeburyness to Currys Point at Stanford. From Currys Point to Grays worm bait is better. I have had all my biggest bass on either single lug or circles of squid on a size 2 hook.
I also find that some areas of the Thames are holding areas for bass as bass can be territorial.

#21 ·
Every bait is good in it season, there is no point useing mackrell in mid winter because there are no mackrell swimming in our waters at that time of the year, same for most baits really other than rag, lug an squid. i try to offer the fish baits that they would be feeding on any way. spring now so the peelers will be in, when we start catching mackerel i will use half a mackrell with lots of claret hanging out of it. im not shore when sand eels will come to action i think it summer time tho.

bass fishing at its best is mid summer on whole or half mackrel just after high tide at night also they rip up and down threw the surf so dont power cast it out there they are close in.

hope this helped tight lines an all ;-) and remember every angler has there own tactics learn from all of them and develop your own style.

my thanks to dan dan gerrard from dover he taught me loads good man!
bring on the summer!!
steve

#22 ·
thanks dabcatcher

thanks steve, best thing to do is try out different methods such as float fishing, freeline, close range and long range day and night with different baits, i'm thinking to target some bass this weekend to see how much of a difference all your responses have made

will let you know how i get on

cheers
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.