World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a great day out fishing in the Thames estuary yesterday. We fished East Middle Sands about 2 miles west of the windfarm and the weather was perfect. Almost a flat calm. Quite a few other boats fishing the same area.

Despite a fairly early start, We didn't get there until fairly late morning as it was very foggy early on and we decided that discretion was definitely the better part of valour and so we anchored up close to the Medway, well out of the shipping channel and fished there for an hour - and blanked - until the sun burned the fog away. Then it was full speed to our mark and get some bait in the water. We fished mainly squid and lug on size 6.0 hooks and we started catching whiting immediately. Impressive as the hooks were nearly as big as the fish! Anyway, we perservered and eventually I felt something a whole lot better on the end of my line. It was my first cod! And what a glorious fish, 15 lb according to our bathroom scales when I finally got home. This is still my first year of boat fishing and I am sure it was down to luck rather than anything else but boy oh boy it fely good. We also caught four decent rokers, one nice size flattie and a gadzillion kamikaze whiting.

Roll on the next trip!!:clap2:

Attachments

· Registered
584 Posts
That a nice one JandH. I'm a bit further up on the extreme north end of the Thames estuary. The fishing up her is excellent, dozen cod per rod to 10lbs, the liners have been having cod 20lb+. Best year for some while, the whiting are 1lb+ as well. The only down side is they are off shore, so the weather needs to be good.

Although, talking to a friend who fished the beach Aldeburgh way this weekend and he had a good time. Seems the boats who sit a mile or two on the inshore marks are betwixt and between?

ET's OPO

15,087 Posts
Thats a great fish for the Thames these days.The Middle sands used to be a top Bass and roker mark at one time.Always used to be a few cod around there too.Have you tried the North Ouse for the Cod? That used to be THE Cod mark at one time,I havent been there for years for the Cod and dont know anyone who has.Maybe worth a go but not this year as it maybe too late now.

Ron

· Registered
2,806 Posts
nice lunker mate hope to catch one half that size today of orford but knowing my luck it will be a tenth.

G

·
Well JandH you are now on the SE Specimen list with your fine fish, until Friday at least when I fully intend to thrash it out of sight on the Carrick Lee:p

· Registered
3,999 Posts
Well JandH you are now on the SE Specimen list with your fine fish, until Friday at least when I fully intend to thrash it out of sight on the Carrick Lee:p
bl**dy lovely init, give em a bit of power and then they want to keep changing the rules !
you`ll be posting on the sussex forum hopefully then Terry ! :)

Dave

www.kentcharterfishing.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.