World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Im after some advive on smoothhound fishing in the estuary. I normally fish off Herne bay but have had very few smoothies. Have also tried knock john but have had few results. Plenty of thornies though! Any info would be great.:secret:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi all,
Im after some advive on smoothhound fishing in the estuary. I normally fish off Herne bay but have had very few smoothies. Have also tried knock john but have had few results. Plenty of thornies though! Any info would be great.:secret:
If i were you i'd try the east last/back of the pan sands or the woolpack. It's way to early yet mind. I would'nt fish the knock john myself, theres a few marks around the barrows that can be productive but you need to pick your day going out there in a dingy!!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
rig yourelf a dropnet, bait it with a mackeral, and hopefully you will get hermit crabs in it, coaxe these out from their shells and use as bait. If you fail to get a hound I will be very surprised, as anywhere you can get hermits will have hounds hanging around. Good Luck. But not until MAY.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its my brothers boat a Merry Fisher 625 so we can get pretty much any where. Thanks for your help think we will try burrows and maplins in a few months.:clap3:

15,082 Posts
I heard a little :secret: that Dave (Excel) saw a few on Thursday.Ive been away the weekend so dont know what has been happeneing since.......Looking at the wind,seems Ive not missed much!

Ron

·
Registered
360 Posts
Anyone suggest any more inshore marks , my seajeeps ok but would have to pick a good day to go out the 11 mile to knock john.Must admit first season with the boat has been crap so any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hook spit /east last inshore or the ridge if you wnt to go a little further off - Hermit crabs are the key

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Hermits are unargueably the first bait, but you will get them on whole squid as well.
good thing about whole squid is they will catch other species as well, so the odd decent bass may turn up.
Also squid is the cheapest bait on the plannet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts