World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back today to use up the rest of Tuesdays bait. When I got there two other WSF lads were already fishing on the high bank but hadn't caught so far. Barry had just arrived so went further along foreshore. It was foggy and flat calm but there was noticeably more tide so things didn't look too bad. Despite having just lug
the flounders did come out to play, at least until the fog lifted with Binman bagging 3, best 39cms. I saw the WSF lads get a couple and I managed just 1. Very pleasant in the warm sunshine so hopefully the summer species wont be too far away.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve, that wasn't the first decent one out along there this week. Eels shouldn't be far away. When we were there on Tuesday a fish struck at something on the surface quite close in so there may be one or two bass about already.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Things slowly improving, fingers crossed it carries on !!!! Well done John & Barry.

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blame Binman! I didn't have my glasses with me at the time........mind you it moved a bit while I was taking the pic. Anyway well be using bigger ones than this for live bait in a couple of months!

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not there NWP.......not in the 50 years I've been fishing it...but there's always a first time. Used to get a few dabs upriver but don't see them now. I think the sole have eaten em all....
Hopefully the plaice won't be far away mate.

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mark, most of what came out today was while the fog was down but I think it'll improve rapidly now it's warming up .
well done boys, tryed eirth today myself could not even see the pier for the fog, but blanked .will try thamesmead on sun , mark

·
Registered
531 Posts
I managed to nab one 32cm one in a 4 hour session at greenhithe yesterday.... Drove down to Hythe ranges today with ashseb85 to try for an early plaice.....Ash blanked, the only thing that saved me from a blank was a solitary 27cm flounder....now there's irony for ya, I could've had a lay in, fished on my doorstep and would've probably had a better result!

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what it's worth, stick to stretches where there is natural bank eg. Rocks then a bit of mud, for flounders. Immediate deep water, strong tide flow and concrete banks is a bit of a no-no. Should come on in leaps and bounds now, the bigger ones will be returning from spawning plus eels and bass should be on their way.

·
Read Only
2,618 Posts
Good effort lads things can only get better, nice one Barry on the 39cm.....Mark a couple came up off Erith jetty today.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Cheers Miz.... Oh and I forgot to say nice one for bagging a good one Barry!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Looking forward to some bass fishing too! May have. To pick your brain sometime?

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My theory for what it's worth is that the bass move around in small shoals unlike flounders that carpet certain areas. I don't know anywhere along the river where you can catch bass at all states of the tide from one spot.either side of low tide seems a consistent time so you need to find places where it's physically possible to fish. Find places where there is a nice steady flow either side of low water and don't be tempted to blast your bait out into the boat channel. The bass are often only in 3-4 feet of water.
Looking forward to some bass fishing too! May have. To pick your brain sometime?

·
Registered
531 Posts
My theory for what it's worth is that the bass move around in small shoals unlike flounders that carpet certain areas. I don't know anywhere along the river where you can catch bass at all states of the tide from one spot.either side of low tide seems a consistent time so you need to find places where it's physically possible to fish. Find places where there is a nice steady flow either side of low water and don't be tempted to blast your bait out into the boat channel. The bass are often only in 3-4 feet of water.
Cheers mate, some great advice there! One more question for you regarding founders - rag or lug....which do you find to be most effective?

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't want to start any wars on here so my advice is what works for me.its more a case of time of year rather than which worm is best. The best time to catch bigger flounders is around the end of the year just before the spawning migration and by this time it's normally only lug which is available. When the birds are working behind the ships (sound like cantona here) I like to put a little cube of mackerel, which I prepare at home to tip off the lug.once the spawning fish move out of the river then I use maddies for a month or so as then you're fishing for the smaller ones. The rag season in the thames is coincidental with the return of crabs and is a more resilient bait than lug but bu this time there's hopefully bass sole and eels so the old flounder takes a back seat.i haven't mentioned crab which is a great bait further downriver but there are few crabs where I fish so I don't bother with them as bait.
Cheers mate, some great advice there! One more question for you regarding founders - rag or lug....which do you find to be most effective?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Don't want to start any wars on here so my advice is what works for me.its more a case of time of year rather than which worm is best. The best time to catch bigger flounders is around the end of the year just before the spawning migration and by this time it's normally only lug which is available. When the birds are working behind the ships (sound like cantona here) I like to put a little cube of mackerel, which I prepare at home to tip off the lug.once the spawning fish move out of the river then I use maddies for a month or so as then you're fishing for the smaller ones. The rag season in the thames is coincidental with the return of crabs and is a more resilient bait than lug but bu this time there's hopefully bass sole and eels so the old flounder takes a back seat.i haven't mentioned crab which is a great bait further downriver but there are few crabs where I fish so I don't bother with them as bait.
I have never had any joy with crab up the Thames most of my bass have been caught on the start of the flood and the last hour of the ebb in 2-3 ft of water.
Saying that I have seen a few caught on high water and had one go for a small flounder I was reeling in

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agree there Steve....top end of the tide will produce, particularly over the mudflats

1 - 20 of 28 Posts