World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Mucking Creek 7 hours from the Yak last Thursday for a couple of Pins only. Fished Holehaven 5 mile down to Leigh deposit buoy trying the holes, shoals and drifting for a small Pin and a Dab over 8 hours afloat Tuesday.Even the crabs wouldn't touch the prime Lug I offered and the whole Squid didn't produce a tap. Same story from a boat I passed. Plenty of Smelt breaking the early glass surface and sizeable shoals of what could have been Herring showing high in the water in evening on rising tide. Sorry lads

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Had loads of fresh water coming through as flooded up stream as over the banks in west london last week had to shoove thames barrier up so going to be a while before guess fishes better plus time of year as many places quiet

·
Registered
785 Posts
Flounders to Maddies/Rag!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flounders to Maddies/Rag!

Strange that you and Chris should have mentioned Flounders. I took a long break from work this winter hoping to spend a lot of time out fishing Cod from the Yak. However the winds/weather put well paid to that for most of that period & a contract I'd put down for April has been put forward to next week. With only a few days to go I thought Flounders tomorrow in the creek that surrounds Canvey or Ray Gut at Leigh as I have a rake of Lug left over from earlier this week and shall dig some Lobs this afternoon and there's the sheltered slipway at Two Tree Island---not targeted them for absolutely yonks---neat idea cheers lads

·
Registered
785 Posts
Lobworms! Now you're talking 'proper' Flounder bait Chris....All the way through my childhood and teens, lobs were all we used for Flounder (top bait too). Good luck Swantee....let us know how you get on bud.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well done swantee,next time your out have a paddle in front of oj,just to see what depth & anything worth taking note ? Ground drop off etc, be good to know,sounds about the same as last time I spoke to you on here,& I had been on oj,terry wogan it seems for everyone, Ade

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well done swantee,next time your out have a paddle in front of oj,just to see what depth & anything worth taking note ? Ground drop off etc, be good to know,sounds about the same as last time I spoke to you on here,& I had been on oj,terry wogan it seems for everyone, Ade
Hi Ade, You can get all the info on depths you need from the L:ink below, I have checked them recently on my Sonar plotter and they are well up to date mate. See Attachment Chainrock.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#products/PlatinumPlus

When the map loads you can zoom right in to anywhere in the world. If you press the Blue circle on the bottom left you get high density soundings. If you press the overlay buttons top right you get a choice of Map overlays.
The Yellow is land. The green are the banks/Bars/Shoals/land that are exposed at the LOWEST spring tides (The areas covered by the maximum & minimum depths at maximum Spring tides) and the heights are given as negative meters that's why there is a little minus under the numbers. Naturally Nautical charts are only interested in where there is water at the lowest Spring tide and below so everything below the lowest spring is positive and everything above (Including mountains) are negative. This is the opposite of land charts where levels below sea-level are negative. So the blue and white areas in Navionics are in positive increments.... & below sea level. (Sorry but this confuses a lot of people)

Launched at Two Tree Island slip into a steady wind 15knts--(the main river was too blowy)-- which rapidly increased and gusted over 25knts. but it was low tide and I tucked myself in the shelter of the sandbanks. Not a single bite and not that many crabs either--Dodo type dead and well chilly even though I'm well dressed for it. Still I love getting out. Next time. Cheers guys

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.