World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you find this year 2021 bass wise for me it was the worst for numbers so far lure fishing the bass just didn't seem to be there in any numbers at all off the Essex coast where i fish how was it for you where you live good or bad the only place that fished well towards the end of the year that heard of was from the lads i know in jersey who seemed to pick up some nice fish late on in the year i just hope the coming year is not as bad it would be nice to hear how some you lads found this year gone👇☝

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Head and shoulders the best season I've had, in terms of both quality and quantity (fishing in Dorset and, occasionally, Devon). So much so that I stopped conventional shore fishing and concentrated exclusively on the lure from autumn onwards.
The last quarter of 2021 was especially good from the shore. The spring and summer were especially good from the boat using drifted lures on the roughs. Best fish 9lb 13oz from the boat, c9lb (70cm) from the shore. Never had a season like it ... and hopefully there's still a few fish to come. I'm also hoping that some of the 60cm+ fish will have survived winter, grown older, fatter and maybe a bit wiser, and will be back next year.
The cherry on the cake was catching this in the midst of the bass bonanza in September. 5.5lb ... you utter beauty.
Salmon-like fish Marine biology Fish Oncorhynchus Ray-finned fish

The only note of caution I'd sound for the future is that with so many bass around, there's been huge predation on harbour fry. I kept a few fish to eat and when I do, I always examine what they've been feeding on. Nearly all the autumn fish I examined contained dozens of immature bass.
Sorry to hear it wasn't so great down your end.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Head and shoulders the best season I've had, in terms of both quality and quantity (fishing in Dorset and, occasionally, Devon). So much so that I stopped conventional shore fishing and concentrated exclusively on the lure from autumn onwards.
The last quarter of 2021 was especially good from the shore. The spring and summer were especially good from the boat using drifted lures on the roughs. Best fish 9lb 13oz from the boat, c9lb (70cm) from the shore. Never had a season like it ... and hopefully there's still a few fish to come. I'm also hoping that some of the 60cm+ fish will have survived winter, grown older, fatter and maybe a bit wiser, and will be back next year.
The cherry on the cake was catching this in the midst of the bass bonanza in September. 5.5lb ... you utter beauty.
View attachment 1379086
The only note of caution I'd sound for the future is that with so many bass around, there's been huge predation on harbour fry. I kept a few fish to eat and when I do, I always examine what they've been feeding on. Nearly all the autumn fish I examined contained dozens of immature bass.
Sorry to hear it wasn't so great down your end.
I'm glad you had such a good year that makes me feel a bit better knowing that there are still some bass about i will have to have a trip down to Dorset soon i have only fished there once and that was on a bumble with the lure forum members only caught one bass that weekend but met some really nice people we fished Chesil and Portland Bill i do miss the lure forum there was some really nice guys on there ps some lovely fish you caught well done fella happy new to you and family

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lots of fish from the boat ( Manacles-Dodman) with the majority between 2 & 4lbs. My biggest was about 6 lbs but my son had a double & a couple of 8lbers. I have friends that fish the Fal estuary from the boat and recon it's been as good as they can remember for numbers and average size. Open coast from the shore has been dire (n)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I fish The Blackwater , Essex and whilst it was a slow start it ended pretty well , I don’t keep count but I reckon I had somewhere between 50 and 60 in total , 3 over 50cm . I had fish every month from April through Nov . Majority for me came on Savage Gear seekers , had some off the top but definitely not as many as last year . 3 trips to Dorset were great and added another 3 50 plus fish , biggest 54 .

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
How did you find this year 2021 bass wise for me it was the worst for numbers so far lure fishing the bass just didn't seem to be there in any numbers at all off the Essex coast where i fish how was it for you where you live good or bad the only place that fished well towards the end of the year that heard of was from the lads i know in jersey who seemed to pick up some nice fish late on in the year i just hope the coming year is not as bad it would be nice to hear how some you lads found this year gone👇☝

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
May - June 2021 Bass caught on Surface and Seekers,Fished the rest of the Season till Mid November on Shallow Divers,Couldent buy a Bite off the Surface 112 Bass caught,Not as good as 2020,Bit of a Strange year,Bass Not showing up at usual Times on Marks, had to re write the book and Experiment,Fishing the Blackwater for 11 years on Lures,Lots of Changes just have to adapt,Its a pity my Mate Mick couldent come out to play,Think you need more time on the Shore mate,Might have had a better year if you spent some more time Fishing,Anyway hope to see you more This year mate.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Total pants here in Pembrokeshire. Sea took ages to warm up and the may weed hung around far too long. The baitfish were pretty much absent but thanks to covid "staycationers" spilled out from the tourist beaches onto the normally quiet bassy bits .
We all know certain marks fish best when certain tides and sea conditions combine but for me those golden days just didn't appear as often as I'd like.
Marks that would normally guarantee 5-6 decent bass a session were now producing a schoolie a week.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tougher year than previous for me. The cold spring which carried on until the back end of June didn't help. Being further north than most, it never really warmed up this year aside from the warm spell in July around the same time as the Euro football. When the weather did settle down toward the back end of the season, it was either feast or famine and although at times there was lots of bait fish, they were only small and then they would just disappear. My guess is we never really recovered from the cold spring, certainly the sea temps were well down nearer minimum readings. I'm just hoping this next year is more settled and we don't have as many northerlies.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I had a decent year overall, catching 110 bass, including 5 fish of 5lb plus...... best one was a 63cm.
Only about a dozen small ones <40cm
with the rest in the 2.5lb - 3.5lb range and a few 4lbers.
I blanked on my most recent trip on December 28th but, I'll be trying to catch an early season Bass this January.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
First half of the season seemed to be ‘on par’….a silvery assassin ninja’d my ’ fly by night’ on the #8! For feck sakes!
Those Autmnal easterlies tumbled all hopes and expectations down to a realisation.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've been fishing seriously for bass with lures for just over three years, so it's a steep learning curve for me.
This year I caught lots of schoolies, with 94 bass of 40cm or bigger. I know the legal limit is 42cm but I put all bass back anyway and 40cm is a convenient round number.
My best four fish went 80cm, 70cm and two at 67cm, all on diving hard plastic lures.
Most of the baitfish where I fish are 2" fry, so unsurprisingly two of my most successful lures numbers-wise were the Patchinko 100 and the 7cm Tide Minnow Sprint, both in subdued baitfish colours.
However, two of my best four fish fell to a small Tackle House Blue Ocean K-Ten, which has shiny silver sides and a bright chartreuse back!
In 2022, I plan to do more light jigging from my boat, both with small pirk-type lures and weighted soft plastics, as I am sure there are many times when bass are feeding on the bottom and will not come up in the water to chase a speeding lure.
My ambition this year is to beat my PB of 80cm and catch more of the larger bass and fewer small ones, though when fish are feeding actively under terns it is very hard to resist! PH

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I had an enjoyable season up until about September. I had my best ever session in June with 2 70+ in a single session and a handful of decent fish too. I stopped benchmarking my seasonal success on numbers and quality a few years back and now get my kicks by being surprised and trying different things. Going to Ireland was a real treat and learned a couple of new techniques. I'm really happy with the fish and experiences I've had this year but I've lost my night fishing Mojo for some reason or another..I think it's not fishing with a clear focus. I hope everybody has a great 2022.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Really pants in Hampshire, fishing just never really seemed to get going. How much the poor fishing had to do with the late cold spell is anyone's guess..

Fair sessions throughout the year accounted for few fish and nothing massive in size. My two usual haunts for the better size fish saw restrictions placed on both with one venue written off entirely due to site closures.

Another 2 popular spots locally with ever increasing footfall will likely generate more closures with one site already increasing security measures and further restrictions, not that I touch these spots at all but with fewer marks to choose from I suspect the now quieter marks will get busier..
For me 2022 will be the year of exploration and back to basics!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm glad we started this thread it is good to find out how different areas of the country have found the bass fishing this year past from the the beach as well as from the boat and how some lures that had been catching bass in previous years and this past year just didn't seem to perform Where i fish surface lures had all ways performed really well but this year gone they struggled and sub surface lures seemed to do better also one side of the river seemed to be better than the other which was strange other species of fish like thorn back rays and smooth hound the fishing was superb as i found out fishing for the hounds landing several biggest 14lb5oz and also getting snapped up twice by something really big jugging by the way the fish took off i think it was maybe a tope of reasonable size but who knows i will try again this year along side the bass fishing good luck to every body for the coming year and lets keep those reports coming in and maybe we could have a few bumbles around the country the ones i went on while with the lure forum were great meeting people you see on the forums like WSF but never meet chatting about fishing all aspects rods reels lures places to fish and life in general and most of all a few beers tight lines fella's

·
Joined 2009
16,798 Posts
Reckon this seasons been hampered by the weather. So often the seas been coloured up more and murky . I’ve had far less fish in the dark too for some reason

·
Registered
25,455 Posts
Lots of fish from the boat ( Manacles-Dodman) with the majority between 2 & 4lbs. My biggest was about 6 lbs but my son had a double & a couple of 8lbers. I have friends that fish the Fal estuary from the boat and recon it's been as good as they can remember for numbers and average size. Open coast from the shore has been dire (n)
Same as you mate,had a couple of nice ones off the beach best one just over 8lb,loads of schoolies off the boat!!! The Pollack were very scarce for us!!!

Reactions: bass912
1 - 20 of 24 Posts