World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby sitting yesterday so decided to take my son to the Pier, we arrived at 10am and setup. I really wanted to go on the last half but with my son I decided to setup by the taps, a stone through from the toilets for my son.

I set my son up on a 2 clipped down rig on blacks, hoping he would catch some pouting down the wall, which he did on almost every cast, some large ones as well! Most of his casts were snagged so they ended up with me having to hand the line in for him. With pouting on the end most times he was well chuffed, keeping children from being bored can be hard at times if they don't catch.

I was fishing a running ledger, tried squid, frozen peelers and sand eels, nothing much happening for me, except major snags resulting in me losing my gear almost every time. The mackies seemed to be in on the first half, a lot being caught by the lemmings. Caught a few myself and setup for some bass fishing about high tide with the mackie heads. My forth cast/head resulted in my rod being knocked hard, seconds later another bite, this time fish on, I thought this was my bass, was this going to be my first decent size bass of the year? It wasn't to be as my line snagged, pulling the line in by hand resulted in another set of lost gear and my lost 40lb bass :whistling: After losing like 15 sets of gear I spat my dummy out and decided to call it a day. Whilst walking back to the car on the first half, we could see the mackies being pulled in from most peeps. My son asked if he could have ago, so I set him up on some feathers, he can't cast more than 20 yards but they seemed close to the wall. After he cast about 10 times he had two mackies on the end, being only 9, he was well chuffed with himself again. Half an hour of casting resulted in about 20 mackies for him. I was trying to teach him how to fish for mackies and therefore didn't setup myself. Someone walked up the pier and was watching my son and I catching mackies and would you believe it started casting a few feet from my son, we moved down several meters away from him, my son was still catching the mackies. A couple of times he caught three or four, I had to help him reel it in and lift up the wall. The guy that forced us to move kept creeping closer until he was almost on top of us again. At this point I almost lost it but decided with my son being around we should pack up and go home before daddy embarrassed himself. I just don’t get some people, how inconsiderate can you get, trying to teach my son to fish safely with people who have no consideration for the dangers of flying weights is beyond me.

We got home an hour later, gutted most of the mackies, some kept for bait :) and cooked some mackies for tea, my son said it was the best fish he as ever eaten. Don’t they always taste the best when you catch em yourself? :yeah:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Gr8 report, splendid for the youngun too, hooked for life now i expect (well, untill girls come on the scene)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
thats the mentality of some peeps they see you catch a fish and think the closer they get the more chance they have of getting one.
good job done keeping the nipper occupied

·
Registered
930 Posts
nice one... i cant wait to take my little one, got a few years to go yet,

shame about the lemmings, i give up there in summer, :busted_co

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
top post whirlwind and well done to your nipper wont be long before hes out fishing you m8 (mine does it to me all the time lol) well done to both of you

and next time tell the muppet crowding you out that fish do swim and being 20 feet away dont make any difference

tight lines len

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mrspatch, the addy is the main pier in Dover, I wouldn't go there at the weekend in the day though, it gets stupidly packed, evening ok though.

My boy really enoyed it, I got a new fishing buddy.:clap2: All today its been 'Dad can we go fishing' 'Dad......' :giveup: Said we can go out tomorow, was going to venture out to Hyhte/Sandown but just read a report from today and now having second thoughts. Anyone know where I can take him tomorrow that will produce any type of fish, if I can keep him catching I think it will keep his interest. I usually do Dungie or Sandown but reports have put me off the last few weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts