World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Rather than join the other thread, where it might be missed, I am starting another.
When I started rock fishing 25 years ago, I taught myself, as no one in my family or circle engages in it. In those days, there was no internet, so I designed my own 'rotten bottom' clip, which included a bait clip too.
In all my time fishing, I have never seen a similar design, yet I think you will agree it is pretty tidy.
I had considered patenting and selling in numbers, but I suspect it would only be bought by recreational anglers. Most would be like me, and just make their own.
Instead of selfishly sitting on it, I share it with you all.
Sometimes the simplest designs are the best.
They are easy to make, with normal 1.2-1.6 stainless steel wire (from any garden shop), are incredibly strong (because of the angles, almost all force is taken through the straight wire).
Best of all though, they release with every cast, so are not retained on the line to cause a snag themselves.
In cast, they must be kept under tension - so no OTG casting.
Anyway, guys, here it is. I think it will revolutionise your fishing?
Drop me a line with any questions.

Attachments

G

·
Superb looking clip. I'd say it was like an even simpler version of the tronix canny link. A lot cheaper though, how long would the length of wire be before bending it into shape? If you don't mind me asking that is :)

Sy

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Superb looking clip. I'd say it was like an even simpler version of the tronix canny link. A lot cheaper though, how long would the length of wire be before bending it into shape? If you don't mind me asking that is :)

Sy
Approximately 2 inches/3cm.
Bend using long nose pliers.
The end bit for weight end, and about an inch into them for the bait hook. The smaller bend is 'u' shaped, the top angle is about 75* angle, and sharp.

And, yes, though I say so myself, they are superb.
Since developing aged 18 (43 now) I have never seen anything similar, or this design on the web.
I can pendulum with them, and they beat canny clips because they do not stay on line.
I have only ever shared with one person - Barbel Dave - and he uses now.
I don't think you would buy another design after using mine.

G

·
Approximately 2 inches/3cm. Bend using long nose pliers. The end bit for weight end, and about an inch into them for the bait hook. The smaller bend is 'u' shaped, the top angle is about 75* angle, and sharp. And, yes, though I say so myself, they are superb. Since developing aged 18 (43 now) I have never seen anything similar, or this design on the web. I can pendulum with them, and they beat canny clips because they do not stay on line. I have only ever shared with one person - Barbel Dave - and he uses now. I don't think you would buy another design after using mine.
Cheers lipslicker I will give them a go for my rough ground fishing thank you for a very good idea :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Thank you Lipslicker am headed into the garage drawer for some old bike spokes i know are there gonna make a load up & try em out thanks again fella

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
I first saw these when I was fishing Filey Brig , in Yorkshire. The Brigg can be a tackle graveyard.

Lipsliker ( Ben) showed me them, up to then I always used the pin and foam release system, but tried these out and have not looked back since.
I would advise anybody who fishes the rough to give them a go, I have occasionally had the pin and foam fail to release, but had a 100% release rate with these.
Simple, cheap, easy to make yourself, easy way to clip down a bait when you are after "tide" fish at distance. Keeps everything neat.
What more could you want.

Dave.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
i have a supply of 1.6 stainless wire in the garage so will make a load later.

i,ll have to alter my rough ground rigs though to leave a loop at the bottom.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hello,

think i first seen Jelly-worm on Whitby fishing forums explaining theses a 5/6 years back, i can agree that they do indeed work:thumbs:

Fedstar...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Over the years I think every rock angler has had a go at making their own rotten bottom rigs,,I used to use 2mm weldless Jack chain links, just opened up to suit, cheap as chips and seconds to make,,,,,,><{{{{{@>,,,,,

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello,

think i first seen Jelly-worm on Whitby fishing forums explaining theses a 5/6 years back, i can agree that they do indeed work:thumbs:

Fedstar...
As I say, I made them aged 18 and fish Brigg a great deal. Jelly Worm might have seen, but I have never seen anyone else using.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have a supply of 1.6 stainless wire in the garage so will make a load later.

i,ll have to alter my rough ground rigs though to leave a loop at the bottom.
You don't have to use a loop of shock. I only use that on really heavy ground.
Sometimes I use a metal pear shaped link instead, but these can get snagged themselves.
If you want picture of mixed ground tensioned rig, using pear shaped links, can do that? That has beads, etc. which can fall down cracks in rocks, but they do allow you to use, say, a 20lb snood, as hook length takes zero strain.
The rig shown is clean 60lb shock/50lb snood length, with albright knots acting as stops for Gemini link.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts