World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just left Rogers Tackle Shop & he had a mobile text saying that his mate has had 2 fish this morning, 15lb & 18lb! on a private boat, & that several other boats were catching as well!
Sorry Cardiff but its Go West young man now!
blueskip

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hope they are still there at the end of the month. Planning a trip out with a mate on one of the Swansea boats. Don't know which one yet.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have no fear lads, now that they have arrived, you will have to part the fish to get the bait into the water!
blueskip

·
Registered
413 Posts
Blueskip
Any idea if they were caught by the swig bouy? or is it top secret. With a bit of luck the weather might settle (Don't think) and we will all have a chance of one or two.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't heard where they were caught, but there were several boats around the SWIGG when I went fishing yesterday afternoon, its where all the private boats gather.
Regarding the Helen, nothing in the paper about her, but there is little being reported to the paper by the skippers, if they do report & its good, all the private boats chase them with their GPS running!
blueskip

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not sure how lady helen is fishing at the minute lads but she does normaly get a few nice cod, she is always worth a trip. I have got the feeling that most of the charter boats don't tell the paper all they are catching, cos people in their fast boats don't give them any room these days. It's always worth asking if you can follow a boat rather than just powering after them, most will let you fish beside them if your 100ft away for safety and those dreaded tangles that occur. doggy

·
Registered
303 Posts
we once put a report in the local rag, fatal, as you have all said we had four boats following us next trip out and they were a danger to us and themselves we were over wrecks quite a way out (30 miles) so if anything had gone pear shaped we would have had to sort it, as the other boats were only 18 footers with three or four up, bloody stupid realy, still there you go until they make them take out a rescue insurance what can you do, just hope they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately Gus lots of them DONT KNOW what they are doing! many have no radios, few have life jackets (fewer wear them), very few have GPS, flares are what most of them wore when they got married, automated signalling devices are unheard of, compasses are something you drew circles with in school, etc, etc, etc.
We in Swansea refer to them as "The Birmingham Royal Navy" most disrespectful to the good people of Birmingham perhaps (but there are a lot of sailors from Solihull berthed in Swansea Marina). Out of the lock like greyhounds from the trap, full throttle past all the small boats at anchor (giving them a wave as they go past to be neighbourly) creating a minor "tsuenami" as their twin volvos create a huge wash, & all this about 600yds offshore where we are sat minding our own business.
Then on the radio comes the very weak (from a flat battery) "Pan, Pan," followed by "So & So, we have your position as such & such, can you go to the assistance of so & so, who has suffered engine failure, & give us a sitrep" (HM Coastguard) so you up anchor & go 3 or 4 miles to find some bladder who has run out of petrol (or Martini or factor 25), only to find that he is the ******** who almost swamped you an hour ago.
I wouldn't dream of going out where the "big boys" go, although I have all the electronic gear in miniature, I realise that my boat is in miniature as well! (plus the fact that most of the best eating fish are caught within half a mile of the shore anyway)!

·
Registered
281 Posts
fished blue thunder this morning with 11 other lads. loads of doggies, 8 conger
( biggest about 6-8lb) , half a dozen rays ( biggest 6-8lb ) and about half a dozen whiting. no cod.

we were fishing the sand bank off the coast of port talbot

·
Registered
208 Posts
Its a shame that half of the people that keep their boat in swansea have a lot more money than sense (nice to have money but its no good when your dead) and i also find most of the other half just ain't got a clue, go across the bay at 30knts not looking around them. Some of them shoot out from inside mumbles head without thinking whats around the other side. I won't be long till one of those guys hit somone and its not going to be a pretty site. Anyway back to the fishing, dw you said you was fishing a bank at port talbot, was you looking over that lovely place i call work? (thats the smelly steel works), if so the bank is morfa bank, seen some nice cod come from there last year biggest i saw was 14lb, but it can somtimes throw up a 20lb. Not the best place to fish unless you have the speed to get away from there when you wind over tide

·
Registered
303 Posts
We had a good one last year a fifty five foot gin palace drew alongside us just as we were entering portsmouth harbour and asked if it was lymmington, 100 yds in front of him in ten foot letters was a sign saying "portsmouth harbour". I can't put my reply on here as it was definitly obscene,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts