World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three Happy Anglers

After a marathon effort out on the sand trying to get enough bait for the next couple of sessions, Jim and I finally decided on where to fish and got set up. There was a strong South West wind blowing along the beach and a big sea running, care would have to be taken and an eye kept on the watch for a rogue wave.

As usual the whiting were on the baits the second they hit the water and it was going to be a case of fishing hard and making bait changes at no more than ten minute intervals.
I received a phone call from Ralph (labraxuk) to say that he had beached a nice thirteen pounder over low and that he would soon have a move along the beach and join us.

No sooner had I put the phone back in my pocket, when I had a non-whiting looking bite.
I picked up the rod and felt another little thump, so took up the slack line and set the hooks. It nodded and the fish moved off down tide. Moments later, Cod number four of the season was lying at my feet, flapping on the shingle.

Ralph had now joined us and set up fifty yards up tide of me. The tide had now picked up and Jim was struggling to hold bottom, despite walking up tide to cast where as I wasn’t having to really walk up tide at all and was holding out fine. All became clear; it was my special break out leads that were doing the trick!! So, being kind I donated some to him.
It later turned out that Ralph had been struggling to hold as well, had I have known, I would have donated some more leads.

Finally, after sitting there wondering what he was doing wrong, Jim had his first codling of the season, followed an hour later by another and then another!!

At three am we called it quits and packed up, tired, but three very happy anglers.

Shirl

·
Registered
822 Posts
well done shirl great report as always ya deffo put the hrs in mate:clap3:

·
Registered
341 Posts
When I can't go fishing ( whenever the conditions scream fish ) reading the reports of others give me the fishing fix I need. Well done on the cod an keep the reports coming 🐡

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well done Shirl - excellent report as always!!

Ade

·
Registered
785 Posts
Very well done Shirl...you certainly been putting the beach hours in....you deserve a lunker mate...which im sure you'll get. :thumbs:
Your reports are enjoyable reading....thanks for sharing.

Billy Rocker

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice one alex i decided on Hythe as normally fishes ok after a blow boy was i wrong the only highlight was watching the storms going down the channel, Big cuttle baits attracted the whiting and big worm baits attracted the doggies.

Well done Mate on the fish

Paul

·
Registered
841 Posts
Good to see you again and meet Jim. Theres lots of different year classes showing so far which is great to see. You and Jim had 2 different years fish last night, along with some 6 to 8lbers showing so perhaps the quotas are playing a part after all.

Yes I had a 13 lber yesterday and I am sure that there will be some great fish show up over the next 10 weeks or so and the effort you chaps put in would have me putting money on you getting at least one. I'm looking for a 20lber in January...........well you can dream cant you ?

It's a shame that my fish last night seemed to have had a previous altercation with a net so wasn't as peachie as I would have liked but still delighted to have seen it on my first proper trip this year. I have a crap pic that I will add later.

Your special leads were certainly doing the business last night. Think I will have to have a look for something similar as I struggled on your bit of beach. I'm thinking about changing my forum name in the winter to to gaddus-allover.
Message to Si...is it possible to change your name and keep your history ?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well done chaps some nice fish.

I'd like to hear more about the special breakout leads? I'm more of a fixed wires kind of guy, but don't enjoy pulling them in.
I forgot to pack my fixed wires last night so was cable tying breakaways but the wires aren't long enough, Alex's have long springy wires so they have a bit more give and don't trip out so easy.

We are going to have a weight making sesh soon aren't we alex;)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good to see you again and meet Jim. Theres lots of different year classes showing so far which is great to see. You and Jim had 2 different years fish last night, along with some 6 to 8lbers showing so perhaps the quotas are playing a part after all.

Yes I had a 13 lber yesterday and I am sure that there will be some great fish show up over the next 10 weeks or so and the effort you chaps put in would have me putting money on you getting at least one. I'm looking for a 20lber in January...........well you can dream cant you ?

It's a shame that my fish last night seemed to have had a previous altercation with a net so wasn't as peachie as I would have liked but still delighted to have seen it on my first proper trip this year. I have a crap pic that I will add later.

Your special leads were certainly doing the business last night. Think I will have to have a look for something similar as I struggled on your bit of beach. I'm thinking about changing my forum name in the winter to to gaddus-allover.
Message to Si...is it possible to change your name and keep your history ?
Good to meet you Ralph, and well done on the proper cod,hope to see you on the beach again soon.JJ

1 - 20 of 31 Posts