World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my cunning ploy to confuse the bass demons by switching my lure session from last Thursday night to Friday failed miserably and resulted in the usual blank, I had a second chance to wet a line this weekend when my boys asked me to take them fishing :yeah:, when we’ve been fishing in the past it’s usually been a last minute thing so we have tended to fit in short lure sessions close to home but this time they wanted to see me catch something for a change :laugh:, so I raided my frozen peeler stash and we headed for a session at Deganwy. As well as the usual flounder I hoped that we might be in with a chance of the odd codling, whiting, rockling, snotty eel or even a schoolie and it was with this last possibility in mind that I decided to sneak in my lure fishing gear, bad move! :nonono:

Unfortunately we missed the morning low water so the plan was to start by the railway bridge mid flood and to work our way up to the narrows by high water, all went well and we were in position by 12:20.

The usual routine on our sessions is that after having a couple of casts with my gear the boys usually lose interest and potter about playing sandcastles etc while I carry on fishing but this time things were a bit more serious, my eldest son Zak wanted to try out his new fishing rod which he’d got for his recent birthday :thumbs: and so I also took along a second rod for Josh and Sam to use. I fully expected them all to get bored very quickly as usual but fair play to them they stuck at it this time and we had great fun as they watched me bait up for them and then they took it in turns to cast out and reel in, the fish weren’t hungry though and so I decided to break out the lure gear. Sadly the fish weren’t interested in my lures either and high tide eventually arrived without a bite :sad:.

It was now 3 hours since we arrived and understandably the the boys were getting a little restless, I was considering calling last cast when I happened to glance at the rods in time to see a slight quiver on one of them, I pointed this out to the boys and their enthusiasm was immediately back to the same level as when we arrived and the shouts of reel it in! Reel it in!! were almost deafening, typically though after 2 small rattles the rods became still again, the boys were disappointed so I decided on one last throw of the dice and a final cast.

Now that they had actually seen a bite the boys expected another one as soon as soon as the baits hit the water but when nothing happened for five minutes or so they drifted back to their game while I had a last few casts with the lures. A few minutes later though I glanced towards the rods again just in time to see another bite, this time the unseen diner obviously had more of an appetite and the bite was much more urgent, I pointed this out to the boys again and this time as the rod tip rattled their excitement level reached fever pitch, again they called for me to reel in immediately but after waiting so long for our chance I didn't want to risk missing it so I decided to let the fish get the bait down first. The next five minutes were perhaps the longest of my fishing career as I hoped and hoped that the fish would hook itself, apart from reeling in a couple of fish in Australia when they were really little this would be the first time that they had actually seen a fish caught, this could be make or break for my boys own fishing careers, eventually I was sure that the fish was hooked and Josh was the lucky one who's turn it was to reel in. I held the rod for him while he reeled in and to begin with he made good progress but suddenly things came to a dead stop, he was snagged! :cry: Desperately I tried everything I could think of to free the line, I tried walking up and down tide, applying steady pressure and even giving slack before tightening up again but nothing would make it budge and finally there was nothing for it but to wrap the line around my sleeve and walk slowly backwards, after a few paces the inevitable happened and the line parted, the curse of the lures had struck again! :wallbash:

Zak and Sam were gutted but Josh was devastated, to be honest so was I and I don't think I've ever been so disappointed when fishing but it was an important lesson learned for the boys and after I explained that there was nothing else we could have done Zak and Sam were quite philosophical about it. Josh on the other hand wasn't as easy to cheer up and he was quiet all the way home, eventually though even he got over the disappointment and a short while later as the boys sat down to a nice plate of fish fingers and chips :laugh: I asked the question “So, who wants to come fishing with me again soon then?” and I was immediately answered with a resounding shout of “YESS!” from all 3 boys :clap:

So despite yet another blank we had all had a great time and the boys weren't the only ones who learnt a valuable lesson, next time I take the boys with me I'll be damn sure to leave the lure fishing gear at home :fishing:.

·
Registered
395 Posts
unlucky Andy, good to see some future anglers in the making :thumbs: I wouldn't be too disheartened though about the lack of fish on plugs, everyone is going through a bit of a dry spell at the moment with only a few fish being caught. That horrible weather we had ruined the lure fishing but fortunately the chocolate water is now starting to settle and the fish are back on the lures. Maybe this will be your week :g:

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Ross :thumbs:.

I must admit that I was well chuffed when the boys said they wanted to go fishing again despite the blank :clap2:.

As far as the lures are concerned It's a nice thought that this could be my week but I won't hold my breath :sad:. As usual the weather is doing it's best to spoil things for me with winds of force 5, gusting to force 6/7 forecast for Thursday night :wallbash: but I may have a cunning plan up my sleeve :g:, I can't say anything right now in case the weather gods are listening :secret: but "He who dares wins" and I'll be out and about somewhere again soon, scaring the bass away as usual :laugh:.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
What a great thread - well done! Boys always have a role model and there's little doubt they've got you!! Seriously they now already understand about fishing at their level - i.e. its not always about catching something - it's about being there with rods, hooks, reels and of course that role model! They will, as we all did, have that day when everything works and they hook and reel in their first fish. I cetainly did - on a handline off MB pier (must have been 5 or six I suppose) However it took another 10 years or so before I truanted from school, rode back from Beaumaris, dug for lug, neap tide, waded out from Church Island and cast out with my centre-pin on a mahogany rod and waited. The rod shot off down the beach (tide had receded!) and I was able to pick itup and reel in my first (4lb 5oz) bass! The sky suddenly had a a golden aura I remember! My role model - a 68yr old handliner who explained the intricacies of finding peelers, preparing them for the hook and tying them in with coloured wool and looking for very small eddies to cast into. He had a great shoulder shrug, chucked back wrasse and only ever cursed those who left rubbish behind or behaved anti-socially. (5'2" but fearless in a confrontation!)
Your parenting ability is obvious (despite the (great) pic where you're obviously hoping to maroon them on their own rocks!!!! Get them an aquarium for mini-species and let them catch a few with tiny hooks and mussel, rag etc. Fish somewhere deepish with just enough line to lift and sink, so doing without a reel-in. As i've said to others in the same position - won't be long before you have to ask them if you can fish with them and their mates!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts