World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever i read threads about ogmore deeps, people always suggest that they try it some other time because of wind direction or height of tide. am i being cynical here or do such people have ulterior motives in constantly saying this? i know that it can be a dangerous place, but i did say "can be". oh, and is it fishable tonight at 6 pm haha!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
i personally think you can fish it any time you want, but i suggest not to fish it if the wind and rain is up, if you walk towards there and can see the sea is rough, don't bother, waste of time and risk to your safety!!

Just use your common sense, if the waves are bouncing about and coming over the ledge or close to it...dont fish! i did one time and the water was reaching 20 ft in the air and it would come down and bash you hard, you just had to hold onto everything to make sure it didn't wash away

·
Registered
476 Posts
whenever i read threads about ogmore deeps, people always suggest that they try it some other time because of wind direction or height of tide. am i being cynical here or do such people have ulterior motives in constantly saying this? i know that it can be a dangerous place, but i did say "can be". oh, and is it fishable tonight at 6 pm haha!!
Do not fish the ledges over an 11.5 metre tide. The tide will flood over it. A decent swell will take you off. Ask the family of people who have lost their lives there.
It is seriuos stuff.
On saying that,there would be no problem if you started fishing say an hour or so AFTER high tide.
Hope this helps?
Steve.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thanks people. sensible advice

·
Registered
476 Posts
i personally think you can fish it any time you want, but i suggest not to fish it if the wind and rain is up, if you walk towards there and can see the sea is rough, don't bother, waste of time and risk to your safety!!

Just use your common sense, if the waves are bouncing about and coming over the ledge or close to it...dont fish! i did one time and the water was reaching 20 ft in the air and it would come down and bash you hard, you just had to hold onto everything to make sure it didn't wash away
Yep,if it looks rough.commen sense prevails.

Westerly and south west winds will only make it worse.

Even on calm days,keep an odd eye on the swells too.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
its not cos people have ulterior motives its the danger element.
all i can say is if you dont believe then go and look for yourself:)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hay sea hawk, like the signature, you could either tell me how to contact her just incase anything happens to you :D :D or on a serious note, make a will, then when you do die, she will be given the paper with the rod's prices on!!! lol

great stuff

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the people who have been there when it's extremly dangerous are trying to give their best take on how dangerous this mark can be!
I posted before on how I was caught out by two waves/swells.
Could have been alot worse and maybe wouldnt have been here replying to your post!:uhuh:
People think because they are used to paddling and playing in the waves on a beach that they would handle anything on the ledges! THIS IS NOT TRUE!:uhuh:
Ton of bricks hitting you like a b****y Sunami!:uhuh:
Good luck to you if you choose to not take the advice m8!:g:

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
i grew up in ogmore by sea,untill about 1984 and when i was living there I fished the deeps more times than i can remember. found countless rods reels,tripods, etc etc, helped the coastgaurd search the coast line a fair few times as well.cant recall once where anybody was saved though allways found a few days later.All though i did call the coastgaurd once and they rescued two oaps but thats another story.

learned my lesson at the deeps,almost lost my life once,and only once was enough.it was in about 1982-83

myself,and three mates were fishing the high table (highest part of the shelf on the right)one mate was standing at the sea edge winding in while the rest of us were at the rear baiting up etc.heared my mate shout WAVE,turned around to confront the mother of all waves crashing over our mate and swamping the entire shelf. i was up to my chest in water,another mate was up to his neck(he was the shortest of us all) clinging on to the rock 10yds to my right, one mate had made it up the rocks and had only got soaked with spray,as the water drained back,the mate who was at the front was about 25 yds to the left(where the water had dragged him)
Amazingly he was still holding his rod, he had a small cut on his head and a few grazes on his legs where the power of the wave knocked him of his feet and thrust him forward but apart from that he was fine.I had lost my rod and reel,as had another mate, all four tripods gone, as were the bait,knives and a few more bits of tackle.the mate that ended on my right swore blind that my rod had hit him as the wave washed out.but well never know.
We were so very lucky to have got away with just the loss of some gear and that nobody was hurt.the only thing that was worrying me was how to explain to my dad i`d just lost his abu 484 atlantic...

It gave me a great respect for the place and the power of the sea.
i dont fish it over a 11.5m(swansea scale) and watch those winds south west and westerlys can make it unfishable....

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's nothing personal, big bones. i'm just a frustrated noob looking for decent fishing venues etc. thanks for the advice. guess people don't get my sense of humour. sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts