World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry this is a couple of days later than it should be but for anyone thinking of fishing around the deal area me and a mate tried the 10th green saturday night and had a right 'mare.. the mayweed had started turning to jelly and it was a right waste of time.
save your bait and leave it a few more days.
hope this saves a few wasted journeys
allan

D

·
0 Posts
yep,i was down there the same time as u.me and a mate were near the slipway and it was hopeless......dave.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i had a oil like subtance on my line at deal on saturday some big blobs of jelly.will my line be ok to use or need wiping clean and what is mayweed never had it before,thanks.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
we've had the 'jelly' for the last few weeks now down here, i don't mind the jelly, it's worse when it turns into the more fibrous stuff which clogs solid around the top eye, i'm hoping the northerlies have just blown it away some now, we've got sw's toward the end of the week, fairly rough too, so hopefully it'll break it up more and get rid, this time last year was unfishable (though we battled on regardless !).

i find the best thing is to use thin mainlines (.30) and do away with tapered leaders, at least until the rot has gone, use as short a leader as you can, at least then you can see the fish and drag it up if the knot snags in the top eye, with a tapered you have a long walk !

D

·
0 Posts
it is an algea bloom that happens each year when the sun shines after the winter.some years are worse than others.....dave.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dave, you must have seen us, we turned up just before high water and left not long after!! we were just to the left of the slipway.

D

·
0 Posts
dave, you must have seen us, we turned up just before high water and left not long after!! we were just to the left of the slipway.
yeah i saw a few over that side.me and mark were on the right hand side of the slip.what a rubbish sesh that was,me mate blanked!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we only stayed for 2 casts, we must have been next to you, the other side of the slipway. we had seen a mate just before getting there and he said it was a waste of time.. how right he was!!
how was your trip with leeboy a few weeks ago? (i heard he's got a good cast on him and he knows his stuff)

D

·
0 Posts
cheers dave, ,does it lead to poor fishing,and is it common all over the uk or some places worse than others.
i think it happens all around the uk but not sure.it defo affects the fishing but sometimes i've had good results on dover breakwater when the water is green!creedy done well the other night so maybe it affects different places differently??

anyone got any better info on this?....dave.:unsure:

D

·
0 Posts
we only stayed for 2 casts, we must have been next to you, the other side of the slipway. we had seen a mate just before getting there and he said it was a waste of time.. how right he was!!
how was your trip with leeboy a few weeks ago? (i heard he's got a good cast on him and he knows his stuff)
yeah it was a good day out with lee.he deffo knows his stuff and can bang a lead too.very nice bloke he is.we had a few bass and eel's.lee had the best fish with 2 bass over 3lbs....dave.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah it was a good day out with lee.he deffo knows his stuff and can bang a lead too.very nice bloke he is.we had a few bass and eel's.lee had the best fish with 2 bass over 3lbs....dave.
fished with lee a few times now, certainly someone well worth fishing with. (although i havent seen him catch anything on his home venue yet... sorry lee!!)

15,082 Posts
we've had the 'jelly' for the last few weeks now down here, i don't mind the jelly, it's worse when it turns into the more fibrous stuff which clogs solid around the top eye, i'm hoping the northerlies have just blown it away some now, we've got sw's toward the end of the week, fairly rough too, so hopefully it'll break it up more and get rid, this time last year was unfishable (though we battled on regardless !).

i find the best thing is to use thin mainlines (.30) and do away with tapered leaders, at least until the rot has gone, use as short a leader as you can, at least then you can see the fish and drag it up if the knot snags in the top eye, with a tapered you have a long walk !
River Crouch is full of it......Every 3ft,pick it off the line,horrible...Ruined my nails on Sunday! :uhuh:

Ron

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
River Crouch is full of it......Every 3ft,pick it off the line,horrible...Ruined my nails on Sunday! :uhuh:

Ron

lol, i know what you mean, when it's bad it can be very bad for morale, we usually find that after we have a metre or two of water infront of us (we uasully fish low..sand... up) that it's alot easier, i've had rods dragged off their stands before now, like pulling in a 50lb dead weight !

15,082 Posts
lol, i know what you mean, when it's bad it can be very bad for morale, we usually find that after we have a metre or two of water infront of us (we uasully fish low..sand... up) that it's alot easier, i've had rods dragged off their stands before now, like pulling in a 50lb dead weight !
Offshore was ok...In the river was absolutely unfishable when uptiding,17lb line was coming back like anchor rope after 10 minutes.Still we got in the bar a bit earlier :)

Ron

·
Registered
893 Posts
Had the same problems with the weed up on the Crouch use a shorter leader as crazy said at least you get the tackle/fish back, use a dry cloth rather than your fingers comes off a lot easier. If alll else fails use your teeth it doesnt taste that bad honest!! Last resort just cut your line above your rig pull the weed down the line and tie the rig back on its a lot quicker than plucking it off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts