World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has a anybody fished this wreck off the west end of port eynon. Its a biggie @ 5000 tons and 120M long but I carnt find any info on it. Also the the harvester on the east side of port eyon. Hopefully this year I intend to give them a go but its a good trek if theres not much structure/fish on it.
Cheers in advance !!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Are you talking about the inanhoe or similar named ship off to the right of the bay years ago use to travel down to it conger pollack and some bass if I remember the divers uze to mark the wreck

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's not the Ivanhoe, that one is closer inshore. The eldon park is due sw of port Eynon and the harvester is just on the bend before port Eynon goes into oxwich. It's a big lump of a boat so there must be some structure still down there. I'm hoping it'll hold some pollock.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
There is a strange history with that ship, it was supposedly mined off Lundy & making its way into Port Eynon when it sank, yet the owners claimed it came up on the Helwick Bank & strained itself so badly (loaded with iron ore for Port Talbot) that she broke her back coming off, & sank in the bay before she could beach herself. Therefore she is not listed as a casualty of war. She was dismantled as a hazard to navigation & very little of her superstructure is left, she is like the Strombus apparently.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Paul ,
Got some info from wreck finder
According to it not a lot of structure down there , see screen shot of info

Although would be interested in checking out some of the local wrecks when the weather allows

If you haven't got wreck finder app check it out loads of potential wrecks well within distance and would benefit from two boats to locate them accurately

Regards Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul ,
Got some info from wreck finder
According to it not a lot of structure down there , see screen shot of info

Although would be interested in checking out some of the local wrecks when the weather allows

If you haven't got wreck finder app check it out loads of potential wrecks well within distance and would benefit from two boats to locate them accurately

Regards Dave
Yeah I've got the wreck finder app and that's what's got me more intrested in the local wrecks. It sounds very much like the strombus as in just scattered areas of steelwork. Just need to get down there and have a look. Dave if you fancy buddying up on a trip to give the port Eynon wrecks a go drop us a message, as you said it be easier with two boats ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eldon Park was extensively salvaged and has been exposed to heavy seas since 1940, so there are just a few bits of plate and fittings lying about, no structure to the wreck, so it doesn't hold any more fish than the surrounding area.
The Harvester was a wooden Trawler which sank, whilst under tow. Last Summer, I did a few drifts over the wreck, which still shows on the Sounder, though it is now very small and there were no fish present.
Most of the wrecks marked in the Area, have long since broken up or been removed. Another showing in that Area, is the 'Orion'. That was a Charter Boat which sank with loss of life. Most of the wreck was later 'trawled up' and parts of it dumped in the Pill, at Swansea.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Fort medine is probably one of the better visible wrecks on the sounder local to swansea bay too. The best of all though has to beThe 22 mile wreck 7 miles sw off the worm . 22 miles from mumbles fished a good fews times between 2003-2005 had some cracking fish ..35ft in structure depth and around 100 plus ft in length. But couldn't tell you what's it currently like 10 years ago now .I will be giving it a try this summer

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I've fished the eldon park a few times, most recently last summer when it only produced a couple of pouting. There is a little bit there but not a lot. Fished it a few times with Wayne Morgan aboard dominator, had pollack, triggers, pout and most notably a ballen wrasse of about 4lb on a live eel.

The headland its self produces plenty of pollack and bass on live eel so worth the trip down there. Anchoring can be problematic as its amongst rough ground so a sacrificial grapnel is probably a better idea than a nice shiny Bruce.

With the bass restrictions I think I'll be focusing a bit more time on the mid channel wrecks like the fargeness and a few others closer to Lundy to see what we can find to keep us entertained.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers all for the info. It's pretty much what I thought as in what's was there is now broken up or gone. Still like Dean said with the bass ban it looks like ille try giving these a go instead. Dean, ille give you abell and you can fill me in more about them. ;)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
very useful info a good thread cheers. Is there much of the fort madine ? I haven't looked for that one. I have gone on the outer strombus well I think its the outer part I can see the restaurant through the gap of the light house. have hoped for some good eels there but havnt had any luck I wonder if the inner wreck is better?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yeah that is the outer strombus, just off the fair way. To get the best of the eels you need to fish when the water is heavily coloured or after dark. There aren't massive numbers of them there though, and most under 10lb. With that said sometimes you dont catch any there, can seem devoid of life at times. For eels stick to whiting or pouting baits rather than mackerel as slightly less likely to get dogged out.

Inner strombus does sometimes produce small eels but very rarely. Better for wrasse, pout and more exotic species like red mullet, triggers, scad, dragonets, gars etc. Fishing there tends to be slightly slower than else where.

There is structure on the fort madine but its in 2 distinct chunks, and there are plates on the ground surrounding it so take plenty of time marking out the structure if you wanna keep your anchor. Lays on fairy dark mud, have had mostly big fish there in the way of congers, spurs and thornbacks along with whiting pouting etc.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
that's great info thanks dean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts