World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking about a new pair of polaroids and since it is my birthday soon, my mother asked if there was anything special that I would like that I wouldn't buy for myself. Took me a while but figured a good pair of quality shades.
Our Henry really likes Costas and since he has far more experience than me with regards to fishing in different conditions, so when he recommended the Costas I figured that since I won't be paying for them then why not.
That was until I saw this YouTube video:
So are a pair of Costas worth the money or are a pair of cheap Berkeleys just as good for the once a week session that I manage?
Would I look ultra cool in a pair of Costas and everybody except a small child would say what a smart intelligent guy I must be? No offense to Henry, or anybody else that wears Costas of course......
Nigel

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I luv my £10 shades from Matalan!

Few years back .. a Zonk120 pulled out of a chunky bass at the boat, ..
"PING... SMACK"?!?! .... smashed me square between the eyes...

Baseball hat peak and a pair of cheap polarized sunglasses stopped it dead!

No marks on me!...and no marks on the lenses!?!?

ZZTOP ...got that right fer sure!?!?...............

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I luv my £10 shades from Matalan!

Few years back .. a Zonk120 pulled out of a chunky bass at the boat, ..
"PING... SMACK"?!?! .... smashed me square between the eyes...

Baseball hat peak and a pair of cheap polarized sunglasses stopped it dead!

No marks on me!...and no marks on the lenses!?!?

ZZTOP ...got that right fer sure!?!?...............
Old Grey Whistle Test - now that takes me back a bit :cool:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oakley shallow water polarized, they also do deep water polarized, prescription also
Wow, those Oakleys are just as expensive as the Costas :eeks:
The ones I just bought (see above from eBay) were $20.
Are expensive sunglasses really that much better or are we wearing the emperor's new clothes?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Wow, those Oakleys are just as expensive as the Costas :eeks:
The ones I just bought (see above from eBay) were $20.
Are expensive sunglasses really that much better or are we wearing the emperor's new clothes?
I am with you totally.
Expensive polarisation does not increase the angle it works at, so essentially you are just trying to see to 'whispering' distance.

I do think lense colour and harmful ray protection are important though, but that can be had from a £10 pair easily enough.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Just ordered a pair of these with amber lenses:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Bifocal+Sunglasses+-+Hawaiian+Lenses+"Hammers"+Style+No.+HL-106&_sacat=0
Okay so they are bifocals - need them to tie knots on 0.4 pe :cool2:
Buddy, sorry to break this to you, but I don't think those ones are polarised?!
Check and double check.
Polarisation is massively important, makes the world of difference, it is just that you can get cheap ones.
Send them back if they are not!

You can easily find polarised uva and uvb blocking glasses, preferably in Amber, for £15.
Got some Gul ones at about that price and, as your video suggests, can see fish just as well with them as my pricier pair.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check and double check.
Polarisation is massively important, makes the world of difference, it is just that you can get cheap ones.

You can easily find polarised uva and uvb blocking glasses, preferably in Amber, for £15.
Got some Gul ones at about that price and, as your video suggests, can see fish just as well with them as my pricier pair.
I think you are right. I need to double check ......
I was specifically looking for bifocal polarized glasses and came across these and probably didn't read the description property.
Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Check and double check.

You're right - not polarized. Never mind they will be my day to day ones.
Ordered a cheaper pair that are polarized and bifocal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222415681244?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=521285279649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Shame I can't find a pair of polarized bifocal green mirror ones though :cool:
Thanks again for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone tried the Dirty Dog sunglasses?
Sound quite good according to their website and not too expensive.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
I still have a pair of Dirty Dog glasses that I bought over 15 years ago. Mine are not polarised but the fact that I still use them occasionally after all this time says something for their longevity.

And for what it's worth, my polarised glasses are from Vision Fly Fishing - cost me about £20 over ten years ago and they're still going strong. I don't believe that Costas (or other expensive brands) are proportionately better than cheap lenses for what we need them to do as anglers.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still have a pair of Dirty Dog glasses that I bought over 15 years ago. Mine are not polarised but the fact that I still use them occasionally after all this time says something for their longevity.

And for what it's worth, my polarised glasses are from Vision Fly Fishing - cost me about £20 over ten years ago and they're still going strong. I don't believe that Costas (or other expensive brands) are proportionately better than cheap lenses for what we need them to do as anglers.
Are the called Costas 'cause they cost a lot?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ive tried other glasses, but now I need a prescription I bit the bullet and got the Oakleys, their still not as expensive as a century Kompressor, just one way to look at it

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Ive tried other glasses, but now I need a prescription I bit the bullet and got the Oakleys, their still not as expensive as a century Kompressor, just one way to look at it
If your prescription changes, can you get new lens updated easily with those?

I've bought glasses in the past and found options didn't want to update a new lens into an existing frame as the frames "weren't theirs" or other excuses...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Over the years I have had both cheap and expensive sunglasses and concluded that high quality glass lenses are worth the extra - I still have an old pair of Julbo climbing sunglasses that give the best clarity / detail / contrast in a range of lighting conditions I have come across, whether skiing or by the beach. Similarly when it came to polarised fishing glasses I started with cheaper ones and then treated myself to some Costas ( I went to Mexico for my 50th instead of having a party for family and friends...soz) and have been suitably impressed - often I spotted fish before the guides. Obviously there are many expensive brands that are overpriced but quality glass is worth the extra. I got my daughter some Smith Optics polarised glasses and was very impressed with those as well - significantly better than normal sunglasses.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
58,248 Posts
It's all about the lenses..... Forget fancy frames.

Costa for me in Glass 580, Maui Jim are very good.

Get the right colour as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone tried the Dirty Dog sunglasses?
Sound quite good according to their website and not too expensive.
Yeah ive got a pair and love them to bits... Like you I considered a pair of costas, justifying it by warranty etc! But someone on here pointed out that anything over £50 and you're paying for the frames and label.

My DDs have been through the wars since ive got them and they're still good as new! Crystal clear and crisp :) come with decent frames as well which was important for me... The missus was getting fed up with me looking like a granny in my old ones! Cost me about £50

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah ive got a pair and love them to bits... Like you I considered a pair of costas, justifying it by warranty etc! But someone on here pointed out that anything over £50 and you're paying for the frames and label.

My DDs have been through the wars since ive got them and they're still good as new! Crystal clear and crisp :) come with decent frames as well which was important for me... The missus was getting fed up with me looking like a granny in my old ones! Cost me about £50
I asked on the Dirty Dog website if they do bifocals in green mirror. Hoping to hear from them in the next couple of days....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts