World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, picture the scene...I have a fishing permit for a couple of hours whilst OH is busy doing 'something'.

Tide will be high in a couple of hours, and there's no time to drive into AnyTown to buy bait...but, I do have a Sainsesco up the road with a good fish counter. So, what would you guys suggest I go and buy for my theroretical four hours on the beach?

Should have said, my beach is clean ground, pebbles leading to sand, no rocks anywhere, and renowned for flatties, bass and the occasional codling.

·
Registered
20,599 Posts
Ok, picture the scene...I have a fishing permit for a couple of hours whilst OH is busy doing 'something'.

Tide will be high in a couple of hours, and there's no time to drive into AnyTown to buy bait...but, I do have a Sainsesco up the road with a good fish counter. So, what would you guys suggest I go and buy for my theroretical four hours on the beach?

Should have said, my beach is clean ground, pebbles leading to sand, no rocks anywhere, and renowned for flatties, bass and the occasional codling.
:)I have all the shops so spoilt for choice. I'd get fresh mackeral & squid as they don't sell worms but one of them occasionally has razorfish and fresh mussels so I'd get some, just in case. :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas...sound advice. I guess mackerel is all time stand by, catches more or less anything, and easy to freeze for later on.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts

Bit late now, but depends on what you call a fish counter, and availability , Sprats, Mackerel, Squid, Mussels, Razorfish and raw Prawns, check the frozen fish as well.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Let us know how you got on.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think TOA was speaking more hypothetically, as in, what would we do if we were in the same situation. Thats the way I interpreted it anyways.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think TOA was speaking more hypothetically, as in, what would we do if we were in the same situation. Thats the way I interpreted it anyways.
Spot on, ID...I guess you'd call it "thinking out loud". A couple of times I've been caught out with a free pass for a couple of hours, and no bait available. And when I only get the occasional chance to go fishing, it seems such a waste.

Where we are (hopefully) moving to, there's very little in the way of the common baits...lug, rag, etc...available without driving half way across the island. But there does seem to be an adequate supply of supermarkets with decent fish counters within a short drive.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Spot on, ID...I guess you'd call it "thinking out loud". A couple of times I've been caught out with a free pass for a couple of hours, and no bait available. And when I only get the occasional chance to go fishing, it seems such a waste.

Where we are (hopefully) moving to, there's very little in the way of the common baits...lug, rag, etc...available without driving half way across the island. But there does seem to be an adequate supply of supermarkets with decent fish counters within a short drive.
Every time I go shopping I always look for mackerel and sprats for bait that I keep in the freezer on the off chance.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Been there myself TOA, I keep a rod and reel in the van at all times, their has been a few times where I finish work early and decide to go fishing on a whim, at these times then proper bait is hard to come by, therefore the fish counter is my best option for bait. Got plenty of fresh mackerel from the counter and caught fish. Tried and tested.

·
Registered
993 Posts

For my last minute sessions I have mackerel, squid, razorfish, mussel, lugworm and ragworm in the freezer, just ready to pick up and go. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts