World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Just getting into plugging (well just bought some beginners kit - hoping to get out some time soon), and wanted to know what the typical fishing season was?

Do things 'dry up' October time or can i plug all year round?

Many thanks

Mike

·
Registered
871 Posts
In my very humble opinion september and october can be the best months as there is usually plenty of bait fish around.

I've not made it down to the coast lately and am a bit worried that all these strong winds will have spoilt things a bit for lure fishing. Water clarity is another debate!

If things settle down then you should be able to fish into Novenber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my very humble opinion september and october can be the best months as there is usually plenty of bait fish around.

I've not made it down to the coast lately and am a bit worried that all these strong winds will have spoilt things a bit for lure fishing. Water clarity is another debate!

If things settle down then you should be able to fish into Novenber.
Gar-Goyle

Thanks for that! I know what you mean about the weather; i've had two charter days cancelled this year! Was due off Portland 2 weekends ago but bloody Katia put an end to that!!

From late Oct into November, will the Bass still be about or will other species be more likley?

Cheers again!

M

·
Registered
372 Posts
As long as we don't get a major cold snap this side of Christmas, the Bass are a realistic target into January. That said, I've had one pretty much every month of the year on lures.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes the bass are still going to be about. could still be mackeral, pollack and maybe garfish.

Garfish can be great fun . try a small toby (7 or 10g.).

Best lure for them is a 1/8 oz kastmaster which is an american spoon( try smallest dexter wedge).

Watch out for Shad. great fight . very delicate fish so return carefully. i think they might be protected.

all the best

·
Registered
368 Posts
I managed to get one yesterday, although it looks like the wind's going to pick up again now. The water was a bit muddy, but not too bad considering the wind we've had.

This is the main problem I have in the South East in Autumn is not so much the fish as the conditions. You get fewer calm days, and the water clarity does suffer. Certainly down here, that has a major effect on the fishing.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,709 Posts
Hi there,

Just getting into plugging (well just bought some beginners kit - hoping to get out some time soon), and wanted to know what the typical fishing season was?

Do things 'dry up' October time or can i plug all year round?

Many thanks

Mike
Next 8 weeks is what i have been waiting for all year .:punk:
It could fish well on from that , but when water goes below the magic 9 degees , thats me done .
Caught some in jan 2010 in water 8.6 , but the effort to find/catch , bass , is just not worth it for me then .

Think cornwall , stays warmer longer , with the gulf stream . december till mid march , is my close season , longer if water stays cold :wallbash:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Next 8 weeks is what i have been waiting for all year .:punk:
It could fish well on from that , but when water goes below the magic 9 degees , thats me done .
Caught some in jan 2010 in water 8.6 , but the effort to find/catch , bass , is just not worth it for me then .

Think cornwall , stays warmer longer , with the gulf stream . december till mid march , is my close season , longer if water stays cold :wallbash:
Mid october ,,,,some clear water bass fishing in Ireland,,,,,,,,

Gee

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quality - all sounds very promising!!

Still waiting for my kit to arrive - i bought a Daiwa D-spin rod and reel combo:

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-dspin-combo~6287.html

Will do for starters - am aiming to get down to Dorset a couple of times this year! Planning on trying Osmington and Bowleaze (near Weymouth)!

Will sort out some more kit - Abu Toby's and maybe try some soft plastic eels!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.