World Sea Fishing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Cheers! I’m afraid not it’s uv resin Bug Bond which you slowly build up into shape you want over the top of funky ultra 3D eyes
Even more wow then !
I’ve tried to do a copy in terms of colour scheme, I’m very (very, very, very) new to fly tying and just using billy basic materials at the mo and messing about really, not following patterns or anything but I’m enjoying it and thinking I need to get some proper gear to do it with a bit more finesse. These are my creations so far.........
C51BFA78-A272-4375-84AF-257DF1EE5A60.jpeg

95232DA0-89D2-41A1-A05D-EC048A238880.jpeg

042F33AE-A17A-4CD7-95B8-5BC9AB0A1657.jpeg

·
Registered
465 Posts
That sandeel is the pick of the bunch for me. I like the sparse dressing - something I have found effective. What length and hook size is it? Cheers, Matt

Reactions: FlipFlopJoe

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
That sandeel is the pick of the bunch for me. I like the sparse dressing - something I have found effective. What length and hook size is it? Cheers, Matt
Thanks, It's s #1 hook, maybe 25-30mm shank.
To be totally honest, you posted a pic of your Sandeel in a previous thread an I copied it :oops:
Hope you don't mind :BigGrin:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Glad you liked the idea!

One thing you might like to try is pre-tapering the materials, as demonstrated by Austen Goldsmith in the below video from 5:53 (his Oz's Livebait Fly as shown in the video is another very good pattern)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Here we go.

My good friend Matt popped over last weekend and set me up with a few samples of stuff to get me going (hooks, thread and materials). Matt also showed me the basics of how to, and here are my first attempts at some bass flies.

All but #8 are my own work, #8 was the demo fly - so a combined effort!

I also made the eyes - these are from a 4mm disc I cut out of a coke can with a splodge of yellow acrylic paint followed by epoxy followed by marker pen! I think they could be a bit smaller, but I dont have a tool to cut 3,5mm discs (at the mo!). (pic is before the pen obvs). When I make up the next ones I will go lighter on the yellow so more of the red shines through. WIll also go lighter on the epoxy so they have a slimmer profile but maintain some 3d ness to them without sticking out so far.

I was hoping to take them out today, but the wind on the southcoast has been onshore the last few days which is bound to stir up the colour, plus its forecast 18mph by lunchtime - so I have opted to hold off till better conditions allow for a farer test!

Would welcome feedback, good or bad - I cant wait to actually get out and cast them!

Kind regards
Rich

·
Registered
548 Posts
They look great to me Rich. I used something similar off the rocks in Pembrokeshire today but with a larger heavier epoxy head. No bass, but the pollock seemed to like them all right! :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Cheers Dan, much appreciated matey!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I haven't tied a fly in a long time ..but when i did I mostly used Kenny Abrames Flatwing style patterns like these

Do they work.. oh yes

I lost my fly tying mojo about three years ago and never regained it , Still have a room with a vise and an awful lot of materials . Who knows.. maybe someday

Andy Elliott
Shame about loosing your mojo, I didn't tie for 3years but luckily regained mine. I remember your work very clearly and inspired me to take up the pastime!
Cheers

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
These are absolute beauties - shame if you never pick it back up again - clearly got some fly tying skills!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tied this today, no even knowing what the hook size is, I have plenty of fly tying things, but for trout, so getting materials to make the proportions look good was a bit difficult. But I do think this could catch me something.

IMG_0754 (2).JPG

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think if I pulled that through the surf near the rocks I would be in luck., flash, colour, movement and a dark head. I just made this up as I went along. I have just started sea fishing and some one told me that fly fishing works fine in the sea at the right locations.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts