World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looked like my last week of garden leave would be like my first, SW storms and no fishing.......other than a window today. Messages from FNB (Tony) had it confirmed and session 9 was planned. A flattie hunt was the mission and Seaford was the venue.

During the week a bit of procrastination occurred on Lisa com's as to the mark. Did we go east where I had my flatties of last week, or go west Buckle/yacht club, but in the end we settled on Tony's original suggestion of the yacht club. Small but perfectly formed lug from Seaford Angler purchased and we were set. Joining us was Droflet and his royal jaminess Colin Holland.

So four Lisa's and WSF members with baits in the water for 1030. The day had dawned with a mill pond like sea greating my eyes, it looked "spot on"....... However, the wind soon got up and was a lot stronger and southerly than the weather forcasts had us believe. There was good surf and colour anything was possible. It was however, a lot colder than I had expected....typical.....last week I was over dressed and backing in temps of only a couple of degrees, today I left the bib and brace behind and was freezing:confused:

To start with I was twos and fours looking for anything flat, but as the surf got up I switched one rod to bigger baits. A ting soon broke the blank, it came in with a crab attached to its lip, and this crab was quite keen to hang on for all its worth. The good news was the Tings were not in plague proportions.

It wasn't long before Colin had something flat which got our hopes up, but it was just the odd ting for me.

As high approached a lot of timber was washing up onto the beach but luckily they missed my lines.

The banter as expected was full on and it wasn't long before I had to start thinking about packing up for the school run. Just before packing up species 7 of the year was landed.......Mr Rockling aka Slug aka a Colin (no relation to Mr Holland). His picture was duely taken and sent to a certain birthday boy, which was as well received as expected.

As for choice of mark, we weren't wrong as Colin proved but none fell to my hooks. He had had at least 3 Plaice by the time I left, to size 2/0 hooks......there was me with small hooks and flatties rigs:rolleyes: live and learn.

I finished with a few Ting, one Pout and a Colin.

It wasn't the best of fishing and could probably have been very different had the weather changed a little later but hay I was fishing with mates and having a good laugh.

Overall my leave had flown bye, I have had 9 good and different sessions with 7 different species caught, no cod nor bass but I'm not complaining. Over 6 and a half weeks I would have hoped for at least double the number but the way the weather has been I could have also been looking at half that number.

With the impending weather, **** up Saturday night and a golf lesson tomorrow (don't ask, friends ah!) this session completes The Garden Leave Diaries

Cheers all:D

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Good session mate and a lovely final report.
So on Monday your back in the real world of long boozy lunches and missing your stop on the train ;)

Reactions: pompeykev

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's sad when something comes to an end! Your diaries are just that - it's been a pleasure reading your journals and following your wit & ethusiasm, it hasn't mattered that no cod or bass - thanks for the local info as it happens!

D

·
0 Posts
I feel honoured to have been a part of the final garden leave diary entry

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Yes an end of an era, that is until you start your GL :)

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah mate hopefully the weather is kinder to me. Hopefully I manage to travel and find some rays

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good session mate and a lovely final report.
So on Monday your back in the real world of long boozy lunches and missing your stop on the train ;)
Indeed Tony, might have to ease off on the long lunches for the first few weeks at least........BTW what are you doing tomorrow afternoon....HIC!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's sad when something comes to an end! Your diaries are just that - it's been a pleasure reading your journals and following your wit & ethusiasm, it hasn't mattered that no cod or bass - thanks for the local info as it happens!
Cheers mate, a cod or a bass would have been nice, but I've had fun, as for wit and enthusiasm, when I'm only catching Ting I need to do something for the reports;)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah mate hopefully the weather is kinder to me. Hopefully I manage to travel and find some rays
Cheers mate, always nice tonmeet new people even if they are too polite......hope the weather holds for your leave and you get some good fishing in. When does your leave start?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D

·
0 Posts
Yeah I always find March and April slow months for fishing. Looks like I'm going to have to dip into Hampshire for some rays

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fjm golf......really
I know a mate bought it for me for Christmas......gonna get in the way of fishing timd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts